Author Topic: Transplanting Miracle fruit?  (Read 1758 times)

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
Transplanting Miracle fruit?
« on: November 10, 2017, 03:09:57 AM »
A friend of mine wants to get rid of her sadly neglected miracle fruit tree. The little guy is about one foot tall and was planted in the ground about 3-5 years ago. I want to try transplant it if possible. Does anyone know if it is ok to transplant to a pot or would it be better to transplant in the ground. The plant looks so sad. I hope he can survive the shock of being dug up.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Re: Transplanting Miracle fruit?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 01:37:38 PM »
I had a similar situation with a poor little miracle fruit bush that was planted in the ground that I had ignored for a few years. It was in bad shape! I finally crudely dug it up one day and put it in a pot with from fresh soil and coffee grounds (fresh, not used) just to see what would happen. After a year or so now it's bright green and doubled in size, but no fruit yet.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:50:01 PM »
Hey hey that is good news! There is hope for the little guy. I have a spot in my yard I could plant it but I would much rather put it in a pot and resever the yard for another fruit tree.

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 02:06:18 PM »
Is it in full sun? That might be why is looks so sad.  They like some shade.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 03:31:45 PM »
keeping mine in mostly shade, and water a lot. keeps it happiest and lots of fruit

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 04:23:43 PM »
I finally crudely dug it up one day and put it in a pot with from fresh soil and coffee grounds (fresh, not used) just to see what would happen. After a year or so now it's bright green and doubled in size, but no fruit yet.
Wouldn't the caffeine in the coffee inhibit the plant? I know there are nutrients in coffee, but there's also caffeine. I saw a comparison with coffee and tomato plants and the one in coffee ended up small. Just wondering if you have more insight into this.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »
I finally crudely dug it up one day and put it in a pot with from fresh soil and coffee grounds (fresh, not used) just to see what would happen. After a year or so now it's bright green and doubled in size, but no fruit yet.
Wouldn't the caffeine in the coffee inhibit the plant? I know there are nutrients in coffee, but there's also caffeine. I saw a comparison with coffee and tomato plants and the one in coffee ended up small. Just wondering if you have more insight into this.

I haven't noticed any problem with my miracle fruit bushes. They're all doing very well...mostly in the shade and we do get a lot of rain here.... and they all get a share of a bag of good Costa Rican coffee occasionally. But, I have to admit though that they do seem a little nervous after getting their coffee. LOL.

Coffee is too acid for tomatoes. I haven't put coffee on any other plants here, so I don't know how they would react.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 05:06:19 PM »
keeping mine in mostly shade, and water a lot. keeps it happiest and lots of fruit

I keep reading contradictory information in regards to sun. Some say full sun and other say partial. Hers is in full sun which may be a beg factor but I know she hasn't taken care of the plant in the last couple years other than water it with the hose. After I told her I will transplant it she gave it coffee and egg shells. Not sure why...