Author Topic: Cold Hardy Avocado's  (Read 3894 times)

jb_fla

• View Profile
Cold Hardy Avocado's
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »
Curious if anyone is growing the cold hardy Avo's like fantastic, Joey, Lila ect?

I am growing the Fantastic.  It has been flowering for about a month, but I've been cutting off the flowers to get some good growth this year.  I am particuarily interested in tasting reviews too.

The fantastic allegedly can handle down to 15f.  The record for my area is 18f.  This year I only got to 24f once, 28f once and haven't seen below freezing since.  Any reports on cold hardiness?

Marcus
Zephyrhills, Fl

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Hardy Avocado's
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:55:27 PM »
wow- with a low of 15f i could probably get away with planting it in my yard in brooklyn- it rarely gets below 20f in brooklyn and if i planted it against my garage, the warmth from my heated garage would probably keep the air around the tree above 15 even on the rare occasion where the temps did drop below 15. alas, no room in my yard to try this out. shame. would be amazing to grow an avacado tree in brooklyn

Gryffindor4

• Jacksonville, Florida zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:44:06 PM »
I'm in zone 9 (Florida) where it can rarely get below 25F (so far the record for this year is 24F). So I've been looking for cold hardy avocados. I hadn't heard of those varieties before, they sound promising though! Where would you buy those varieties?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:28:17 AM »
I'm in zone 9 (Florida) where it can rarely get below 25F (so far the record for this year is 24F). So I've been looking for cold hardy avocados. I hadn't heard of those varieties before, they sound promising though! Where would you buy those varieties?

If it rarely goes below 25 where you are there's a number of varieties that will survive those kind of temps (low 20s) besides the ulta-hardy types mentioned in the original post. Lula, Mexicola, Winter Mexican, and Brogdon are hardy to around 22.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 07:30:28 AM »
lycheeluva - its not just the air temp but the soil temp that would do you in.

For quality and cold hardiness, Lula is your best choice.

Rob
- Rob