Author Topic: Saltwater as an organic fertilizer  (Read 11461 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Saltwater as an organic fertilizer
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »
Interesting. However, if you were to do that on a weekly basis in the same spot, my guess is that you would have sterile soil in a period of time.

In socal, we heard about people unwittingly turning their yards into infertile soil by watering the garden with soft water.

Well heres a perspective for you guys on the subject. For the last almost 20 years I have run a business dealing in maintaining high end marine aquariums. A huge part of what we do is hauling fresh made seawater out to clients houses and do whats called partial water changes. Usually 30% of total volume. We drain out old water and pump in new. We usually drain out to the curb or to a sewer clean out. But in certain cases ive had clients that had neither and they have instructed me that they are ok with us draining the water on a side yard, this is after ive warned them that such may sterilize the ground.

Well here is what ive seen in these instances......ive drained literally thousands of gallons of seawater over years and years on lawns, near trees, and misc plants (at these clients who ok'ed it) and expected to see them all suffer. Ummm nope. Not even a little. No yellowing, no negative anything. I was a shocked as anyone. So I dont know if there is a beneficial side of it, but im here to say it isnt necessarily a death sentence. And btw this is Phoenix with our slow draining clay.

That is very interesting.
Jeff  :-)

amadioranch

• Phoenix Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Amadio Ranch
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »
It has always been quite the surprise to see the saltwater not harm things. Im not trying to say its something people should do, just passing on what ive seen. Here in Phoenix we already have salty soil and water. Keeping salts at a minimum are already a problem that I go to great lengths to minimize. So quite aware of the problems that sodium can cause with plants.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »
If the only benefit to sea water is for its minerals,  there are many other non sodium sources.   as mentioned, seaweed for example.

Humic acid has the ability to "tie up" some salt,  so its possible  that the salt water from the tanks, were made un-available to the plants.  but there will be a tipping point, put enough salt in the same spot and eventually, nothing but salt loving plants will grow there.   in heavy soils it will just build up over time.

now if someone has found a way to extract the minerals from seawater, without the salt, then i see nothing wrong with that.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
I added kelp meal to a citrus tree that was in a 25Gal container, and it dropped all of its leaves shortly after, presumably due to the salt content. I never used it again.
Jeff  :-)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »
Never tried kelp meal before but I always assumed they would get most of the salt out of it already. A friend of mine makes his own from the sea and he soaks and changes water to remove some salt.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 03:25:05 PM »
I have grown plants on diluted ocean water and used it as the sole fertilizer in a sterile media.  Grew watermelons with success.  Dilution to the right level is the key.  My time doesn't permit a full discussion but folks should note ocean water contains all 93 elements in what some call perfect proportions.  Find out the right dilution level for trees are try it out.  I have used it and seaweed on my trees without issue.  Vegetables and fruits too.  Wheatgrass and barey grass love it (I have grown them at up to 5,000 ppm).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 05:07:11 PM »
Seaweed is great if it's been properly washed clean of all salts. Really any fertilizer that has salts can be detrimental if used repeatedly. For example, animal manures can have this problem as animals are given salt licks and this salt is excreted. So i wouldn't use these commercial manures as the sole source of fertilizer. Once in a while it's OK.
Using salt water on annual crops is very different than using it on tree crops. Annual crops grow fast and are usually rotated. So like i said before, though salt water, or brackish water, may have some special uses on some crops, it doesn't mean it should be sold as a general all purpose fertilizer.
Oscar