Author Topic: Cat Chu mango  (Read 2510 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Cat Chu mango
« on: July 31, 2019, 05:49:22 PM »
Cat Chu is a  high tier Vietnamese mango, small seed thick flesh with strong fragrant and sweet as honey described in this article. https://xuatkhautraicay.com/shop/xoai-cat-chu-xanh-cao-lanh/

Farmers started bag up individual fruit at 45 days old. Depending on the color of the bags used, black and yellow bag gives pale yellow Cat Chu, and white bag give Green Cat Chu, even when ripe,  but the fresh with deep orange color and taste are the same for both yellow and green varieties. To develop the best taste, farmers wrapped each fruit in newspaper and stored in cool place for 3 days before sale. Majority production is located at farm land near the river where the land is covered with rich silt from annual flooding.

I got some Cat Chu budwoods from Alex and grafted them last weekend. I hope my fruits will be just as good as those fruits from Vietnam that had been grown hundreds of year ago.

Yellow cat chu:

Green cat chu:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:54:49 PM by sapote »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Chu mango
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 06:45:10 PM »
I wonder if this variety tastes similar to Xiao Cat Hoa Loc?

Or CAC/COC

Between these other two Vietnamese varieties, CAC/COC is much better because it has a richer fruitier taste.

Simon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 08:47:54 PM »
I wonder if this variety tastes similar to Xiao Cat Hoa Loc?

Or CAC/COC

Between these other two Vietnamese varieties, CAC/COC is much better because it has a richer fruitier taste.

Simon

Cac, or what we know in the US as such, and Cat Chu are the same mango.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 10:22:58 PM »
Simon,

The ones you got from store are either Cat hoa loc or Cat chu -- they do look similar but Hoa Loc is more bright yellow than Cat Chu. The store bought could have been picked a little too green as compared to your local grown Cac or Coc.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 01:26:04 AM »
My friend in VN confirmed to me that Cat chu & what we call CAC here are the same

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 06:31:23 AM »
Perhaps slightly off topic, but has anyone had any luck fruiting Hoa Loc here?  I've had a tree in the ground for several years and nuthin.  I'm slowly converting it to Cat Chu (CAC).

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 08:24:35 AM »
Perhaps slightly off topic, but has anyone had any luck fruiting Hoa Loc here?  I've had a tree in the ground for several years and nuthin.  I'm slowly converting it to Cat Chu (CAC).

The grafts I got from you are growing nicely.
Compared to the Cac tree its grafted on, Cat Hoa Loc is a lot more vertical oriented.
Hopefully, I'll can some fruit next year.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 09:09:59 AM »

I’ve fruited Hoa Loc. It’s more Thai flavored.

Cac/Cat Chu is much better and most people from Vietnam have never had it. They only know Hoa Loc.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »

Cac/Cat Chu is much better and most people from Vietnam have never had it. They only know Hoa Loc.

Thanks, Alex.  It seems I'm making the right choice by grafting that tree over.  I was a little concerned that I might be grafting over a fantastic mango, but if it's "standard" Thai taste, I'll convert it. 

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 02:53:36 PM »

Here is a comparison of cat hoa loc (bigger) and cat chu (smaller)

My friend  in VN told me that their #1 best variety is Cat Hoa loc & cat chu being the 2nd.

Environmental influence could alter the flavor.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 07:58:39 PM »

The grafts I got from you are growing nicely.
Compared to the Cac tree its grafted on, Cat Hoa Loc is a lot more vertical oriented.
Hopefully, I'll can some fruit next year.
Hi Sayyid,

I'll be really interested in hearing about how they do for you.  I'm wondering if they're just not getting enough winter stress down here to initiate bloom.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
Thanks for the info Alex!

The Xiao Cat Hoa Loc that I posted in the picture above was grown in Vietnam. I ate 6 of them in different stages of ripeness and I still much prefer the taste of CAC. The average Brix for the Hoa Loc was 20%. I let a couple get really ripe and they turned yellow and were very sweet but they were somewhat one dimensional in terms of flavor.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk