Author Topic: A couple new toys for the garden  (Read 2935 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
A couple new toys for the garden
« on: June 28, 2019, 10:09:11 PM »
I finally got tired of spraying my trees with a backpack pump sprayer so I decided to purchase a relatively cheap electric fogger. I found it extremely difficult to spray larger trees with thick canopies, it was especially difficult to spray the under sides of the leaves. I’m hoping that the fog created by this fogger will more easily penetrate into the canopy and coat the undersides of the leaves.

Here’s a YouTube video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PTO1AApO2-g

simon_grow

• View Profile
Re: A couple new toys for the garden
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 10:12:27 PM »
I also tried to purchase the Scionon grafting shears last year but they were sold out of the model I was looking for but they are back in stock so I finally picked one up.

Here’s a YouTube video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4-DQZ6YqYpA

Simon

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 10:35:13 PM »
Nice fogger but expensive.At that monney i would have got one with gas motor here.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 10:39:09 PM »
Congrats! Let us know how it works. I have a pull behind for the golf cart with an electric pump. I’ve yet to try it but should put it into use by winter. I’ll post my reviews at that time

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 11:47:07 PM »
Nice fogger but expensive.At that monney i would have got one with gas motor here.

My yard is extremely small and I want to avoid gas because of the exhaust. For the orchard at Brads place we will definitely get gas.

I’ll let everyone know how these work

Simon

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 01:39:02 AM »
That thing needs a rechargeable battery pack. Thanks for sharing your Ghostbuster toy Simon ;)
Nate

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 11:17:06 PM »
Unfortunately, one of my friends giant Brewster Lychee tree is dying from something but it gave me the opportunity to try out the Petra fogger. The unit is very basic and extremely easy to use. The fog particles are extremely fine.

The unit worked perfectly and I was easily able to get inside the canopy and coat the entire leaf surfaces including the bottom.

My only complaint about this unit is that the carrying handle for the actual spray nozzle feels extremely light weight and I believe it’s made out of plastic so I expect it can easily get damaged if you step on it.

I’ll report back again once I use it a few more times. I don’t think I could ever go back to the hand pump backpack sprayers after using this.

Simon

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 09:58:06 AM »
Thankyou for the uodate Im really interested in this unit

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »
Simon, nice toy's for sure can't wait to hear your review's. ;)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 03:49:25 PM »
Awesome enjoy! Please let us know how the Grafting tool works out ..

Ed
Zone 10

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 05:26:50 PM »
I was finally able to use the Petra fogger to foliar feed my own trees and it was incredible how much nutrient solution I was able to save. To spray my entire front and backyard, it took approximately 1gallon of solution when it normally takes me about 6-7 gallon of solution.

I was also able to spray all my trees in about 20 minutes instead of 1.5 hours.

I still haven’t tested out the Scionon grafting shears yet but I will soon

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 05:38:54 PM »
While I’m at it, here are some additional gardening and maintenance tools I recently picked up.

I finally got some grafting wax and grafting compound for top working or complete rework after stumping a tree. I previously used a ton of Parafilm which worked but is not as pretty or easy to use.

When I ordered my Scionon grafting shears, they included a free roll of their self adhesive grafting tape. I already have a couple rolls that Ive never used before but now that I have a bit of it, I will test it out. I usually wrap multiple times with buddy tape or Parafilm so I never felt the need to use grafting tape to secure the Union. We don’t get as much wind as Florida, excluding Santa Anna winds.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 05:51:09 PM »
I also picked up some cheaper wet/whet stones in order to sharpen my knives and machetes. I got a coarse 220/800 to shape and remove burrs and a 1000/6000 to really put a nice edge on my blades. I also got an 8000 grit Nagura Stone and a double sided strop with green polishing compound to get a mirror finish.

I normally use a box cutter for firm wood and schick injector blade with an Excel handle( thanks Carlos!) for softer woods so I’ve never found a need to sharpen my grafting knives but I’m also a cook and would love to get my cooking knives super sharp.

I have a ton of used boxcutter blades that I plan on sharpening past it’s factory edge.

Simon

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 06:52:25 PM »
I also picked up some cheaper wet/whet stones in order to sharpen my knives and machetes. I got a coarse 220/800 to shape and remove burrs and a 1000/6000 to really put a nice edge on my blades. I also got an 8000 grit Nagura Stone and a double sided strop with green polishing compound to get a mirror finish.

I normally use a box cutter for firm wood and schick injector blade with an Excel handle( thanks Carlos!) for softer woods so I’ve never found a need to sharpen my grafting knives but I’m also a cook and would love to get my cooking knives super sharp.

I have a ton of used boxcutter blades that I plan on sharpening past it’s factory edge.

Simon
I sharpen razor blade anything with paste ( probably 1000)and leather for manual sharpening or for making the blade shiny i use paste and a wool disk .

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

I’ve been watching a bunch of videos on YouTube and Skillcult has lots of great videos
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5p3NMKPe8KM

Carlos also has excellent videos
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AA1wSfLzGBI

Simon

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 12:53:28 AM »
Thanks for the tip.

I’ve been watching a bunch of videos on YouTube and Skillcult has lots of great videos
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5p3NMKPe8KM

Carlos also has excellent videos
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AA1wSfLzGBI

Simon
Skillcult also grows weird red fleshed apples and sells scions in the spring.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk