Author Topic: Turpentine Rootstock for Mangos  (Read 4369 times)

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Turpentine Rootstock for Mangos
« on: March 09, 2015, 07:21:32 AM »
Is there a bonafide turpentine rootstock, or is any seed used as rootstock classified as a turpentine?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Turpentine Rootstock for Mangos
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 07:56:13 AM »
Is there a bonafide turpentine rootstock, or is any seed used as rootstock classified as a turpentine?

There is an actual Turpentine,  actually there are a few types of Turpentine, it is an actual variety.  It is not called Turpentine just cause it is a rootstock. Not all rootstocks used  are Turpentine.
- Rob

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 10:29:12 AM »
Rob,

Can you enlighten us on the different varieties of turpentine, I have been collecting turpentine rootstocks around Punta Gorda Fl  and SW florida where there are many old trees.

Ive noticed a big variability in them from size, shape, and amount of fiber. ive been growing all my trees on different ones and labeling and keeping track to find 'the best'

Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
does anyone know if there is any variability in cold tolerance in rootsocks
and which is the hardiest ?

Ive been growing from seed. (only had 1 tree fruit so far, and this January it froze back to the trunk)
the first couple of years it only lost a few leaves. this year was colder than normal.

and i just bought a Baileys from Toptropicals. they say it is supposed to be a bit more hardy.
i know some dont believe it, but i also planted it in a microclimate.
Hoping a couple of small changes will make the difference.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »

I knew nothing about Turpentine Mango and learned some from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l8U_12V1ls

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »
Yup, there are several different types of Turpentine and I guess you could consider each seedling from Turpentine seeds unique. Turpentine type rootstocks are supposed to be excellent but for some reason, many of the trees we order from Florida have issues growing here in SoCal. Seedlings from Turpentine fruit make excellent rootstocks here in SoCal and Leo Manuel has several trees on seedling Turpentine rootstocks.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 01:14:03 PM »
does anyone know if there is any variability in cold tolerance in rootsocks
and which is the hardiest ?

Ive been growing from seed. (only had 1 tree fruit so far, and this January it froze back to the trunk)
the first couple of years it only lost a few leaves. this year was colder than normal.

and i just bought a Baileys from Toptropicals. they say it is supposed to be a bit more hardy.
i know some dont believe it, but i also planted it in a microclimate.
Hoping a couple of small changes will make the difference.

There can be variability in rootstocks with dwarfinfing certain varieties but its not a given across the board for all varieties.   Its an experiment think that takes many years to determine outcome. 

Is there a rootstock that promotes better tolerance to cold, doubt it.  The damage is most likely going to occur from the var8of the scion grafted to it.

Oh, Baileys Marvel being more cold tolerant, not really likely.  It also does nkt perform well in areas of high humidity.
- Rob

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »
Do any of the fruits I posted looks like 'apple mango'  pine apple mango" or "number 11"

some of those fruits are not turpentine.
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 04:08:05 PM »
This thread has some links to mango rootstocks
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20816.msg256074#msg256074
This article is especially interesting
http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/43/6/1720.full

Simon

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 08:11:05 PM »
Very useful topic. Thanks a lot Simon. One thing i am not yet at terms with here in south FL is spraying Copper every time it rains during flowering and fruiting season and even at other times when some leaves get fungal spots. It sounds like giving antibiotics every time there is fever, this sounds right and it is happening all over in the hospitals all the pundits of the healthcare industry agree to it but this is what leads to antibiotic resistance and development of resistant bacteria. Not much different in plant world i guess.

Most of the google links in this forum topic discussion have expired but this one i found foraging the forum is still there -
http://www.mango.org/Mangos/media/Media/Documents/Research%20And%20Resources/Research/Industry/Post-Harvest/Mango_rootstock_Final_Report_Eng.pdf?ext=.pdf

I would like to find out if there is a mango rootstock that imparts anthracnose resistance to the tree. I read this article and it is inspiring me to experiment more on the rootstock. 2 years ago i planted 50 seeds of known Zill varieties, all in the mucky south florida soil in my area and i left them to nature, no artificial irrigation or n-p-k. Out of 50 by the end of 1 year, only 5 thrived to be 2 ft tall. Bolt, Ugly betty, Mallika are 3 i can remember, other 2 i need to check. All mono, they are still growing well without any irrigation, or npk and have no anthracnose without any Copper application. Still too early to tell if they can be used, only thing is i do not know if they are dwarfing and it is important to keep them dwarf here in So FL due to the hurricanes.
Satya

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 08:29:59 PM »
Hello Satya,

I’m sure I posted a thread somewhere but can’t recall the thread title. From my memory Castori/Kastori may impart some disease resistance but I can’t recall exactly. I believe Dr. Ledesma and Dr. Campbell May have been working on a breeding program to come up with a rootstock that may be more disease resistant.

I am currently testing out Castori/Kastori as an interstock to see if it can impart any measure of disease resistance but I am in the very early stages and this is on a small backyard scale.

I’m not going to go with the nuclear option of fungicides unless the more benign options don’t pan out. I tried to let Mother Nature take its course but after about 5-6 years with multiple LZ trees hardly producing, I’m about to throw in the towel. I don’t blame it on the Lemon Zest, it’s just so dang good tasting. If I didn’t love the flavor so much, I would do the more sensible thing and plant a different variety that produces well without spraying but I am too determined.

I’m hoping that the newer generation of spreader/stickers such as Nufilm 17 can hold the more natural fungal deterrents such as Potassium phosphate on the leaf surface for a long enough period of time that it will be effective in decreasing the overall bioburden.

Simon

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »
Yes there is so much info on inter stock which is very new to me. Like 'Amrapali" used as an interstock for dwarfing. And Neelam being antracnose resistant to be used as interstock. Much fun projects ahead :) my wife made me a grafting side bag last week..
Satya