Author Topic: Bird Netting  (Read 1823 times)

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Bird Netting
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:58:01 AM »
Any recommendation for bird netting?
For both the brand and sourcing?

The mockingbirds have already started filching strawberries; and my other berries, figs, and all, are not far off from being targets.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Bird Netting
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 11:25:25 AM »

I bought one similar to this last year...might have been a smaller size. It didn't work for what I wanted to use it for ( My Lychee tree) the holes kept getting caught on the leaves and branches and the worse part some of the lychees were going through the hole defeating the purpose lol...but I'm sure for what you need it for it should work...

http://www.amazon.com/Gardeneer-Dalen-Bird-X-Protective-Netting/dp/B002ITKVE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429283456&sr=8-1&keywords=bird+netting+28+x+28

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:58:13 AM »
I wonder if the Rat Zapper would work on mockingbirds?  We've got one that just started to go after our cherry tomatoes and we're not going to let it get any of our fruit. 

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »
I use a couple of those mexican wooden snakes (those kids toys made of interlocking wood piece that move around in a breeze. ) sems to keep the birds out of my plum and mulberry. Better to scare off birds then kill em.
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »
I used something very similar to what puglvr shared, bought at lowes in a smaller size.
Used it on my potted fig and worked fine, except for where I didn't secure the bottom of the netting and a few figs were pinched by birds coming up under it.

I've already lost one spring fig so i have to get mine set back up. That, or try one of the scare tactics like SocalKoop mentioned. I have read others doing that too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk