Author Topic: Brutal heatwave 7/06/18 in Socal  (Read 22349 times)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Brutal heatwave 7/06/18 in Socal
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »
Had a brutal heatwave in SoCal yesterday.  Reached at least 111F yesterday.  Some folks reached 117F.
Was extremely lucky... didn't appear to have any immediate serious tree damage because I soaked trees the night before and sprayed intermittently on leaves throughout the day.  Younger leaves shriveled up like prunes and small fruit fell off. Pushed mango grafts made in May and early June seem to have miraculously survived (although some were in a shaded greenhouse).  Last week's mango grafts may be a different story.  Hopefully the vented shade paper bags over the recent grafts helped. Will know more in a week or less.  Crossing my fingers.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:56:10 PM by wslau »
Warren

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Brutal heatwave 7/06/18 in Socal
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:11:22 PM »
Brutal it is.  I was expecting 110, it was 119 max and 114 all day.  My trees were getting roasted.  Moved what I could into the misted greenhouse which stayed in the 90s.

Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 01:23:03 PM »
116 at my house 2 miles away at my moms 119. All the new growth fried loss hundreds of anona fruitlets that were setting quiet well. It’s 10am and it’s 99

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 01:42:41 PM »
I only got a little over 100 at my place but new growth from recent Mango grafts got fried. New leaves on Lychees got fried as well. I’m expecting to find sunburn on some mango, Dragonfruit and some Cherimoya fruit. Most my Cherimoya are under the canopy so most of them are protected. Good luck with the heat everyone.

Simon

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »
Wow - that's so hot! Good luck protecting all your plants!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »
Wow - that's so hot! Good luck protecting all your plants!

Says the SUN-worshiper, lol!

Simon

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »
Looks like someone ran through my yard with a torch. Terrible day. 113 degrees and less than 10% humidity, plus wind.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 05:48:54 PM »
Yesterday reached 119 here as well by 4pm

I sprayed a couple of days before and watered early morning and during the day.  Most new growth shriveled. Most trees did ok. I’m surprised that the trees hat I forgot to spray did just fine and showed minimal sunburn. I found some trees with significant trunk damage today though.

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »
Lost a few young grafted mangos that is west facing in full sun.  It hit 112 at my place in cerritos.  My anemic lychees young leaf all got burnt.  Not sure if it will make it.  My yang mai leaves also got burnt but its a more establish tree.

Robert
Robert

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 09:01:42 PM »
First it was a fire breaking out.  Ok, this one is 10 or more miles away.  No big deal.

Then things started to get a little more real when this one flared up just a mile or 2 away.  I think this one was out on miramars land.  Luckily it moved the opposite direction and got put out.

Brad Spaugh

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 09:34:23 PM »
Was only supposed to get to 118 here. Thermo said 122 at 5pm. Even some of the guavas got crispy tips. New growth on the Sapodillas drooped until sun passed over to the west. Ice cream beans look a little distressed except ones underneath castor bean plants which I swear cool down the trees around it. Bananas got a little beat up too. Sugar apples are ok but lots of foliage on the cherimoyas is fried, even ones in almost full shade. Young white sapotes have looked miserable since yesterday around 11AM, they still look bad, even the ones in the shade.  Surprisingly new growth on my lemon zest took it like a champ. Passion fruit, young star fruit seedlings and young newly transplanted figs weren't phased at all.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:47:07 PM by WaterFowler »

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 10:05:39 PM »

Well looking at the lemon zest, it did take more damage to the new growth than I thought. But it still seems like it takes the heat much better than my sweet tart, and definitely Coconut Cream. Maybe about the same as Keitt and "manilla" mango. The Coconut Cream may be delicious but it isn't particularly tough. Doesn't seem to deal with the cold or extreme heat well.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:34:46 PM by WaterFowler »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
Sydney is about 34 latitude south and LA is about 34 latitude north although east coast and west coast climates are different. Sydney had a warm spell in January that adversely impacted on fruit trees. Air temps at the Sydney Cricket Ground Stadium during a cricket test were recorded at 135.7f and the nearest official meteorological station recorded over 117f.
By all reports the trees sprung back very well after being singed a few times in Summer so it doesn't have to be fatal for fruit trees.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 06:44:47 PM »
Lol - I do love sunshine - mid 90's with full FL humidity is no problem. But over 100 starts to be too hot for me!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 08:39:45 PM »
High humidity closer to the equator stops temps getting too high with 25 to 40 latitude and low humidity having highest max summer temps.

vincenton

• US, West Covina CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 09:28:32 PM »
What a brutal heatwave we had in socal this last few days. I was off at work and didn't realize it could get this hot. Now that the temp has come down to within summer heat what is the best way to help those fruit trees and seedling pull thru without dying. I am concern for some of my cherimoya seedlings and grafted cherimoya seedling.

I brought all seedlings and grafted seedlings into as much shade as possible. I'm hoping those in the know have a plan.

Thanks,
Vincent.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 10:31:21 PM »
Water and shade. 
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 01:40:05 AM »

Well looking at the lemon zest, it did take more damage to the new growth than I thought. But it still seems like it takes the heat much better than my sweet tart, and definitely Coconut Cream. Maybe about the same as Keitt and "manilla" mango. The Coconut Cream may be delicious but it isn't particularly tough. Doesn't seem to deal with the cold or extreme heat well.

I agree. My lemon zest flushed through the heat with no negative effects. You can see the flush with no spray on it. Thee are even new flushes today. Still going.

vincenton

• US, West Covina CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 12:58:40 PM »
Water and shade.

Spuagh,

It's getting that, i've move all my seedlings into the shade for the time being.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »

I agree. My lemon zest flushed through the heat with no negative effects. You can see the flush with no spray on it. Thee are even new flushes today. Still going.

What's all that white stuff on the leaves?

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 06:48:40 PM »

What's all that white stuff on the leaves?

Khaled,  is that sunscreen? 
I use a sunscreen from IV organics specifically made for trees.  Also repels pest

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 08:45:47 PM »
There is spray can protection from sun scorching available.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 02:56:49 AM »
The white stuff is surround wp. It’s a sun protectant l. Has worked well for me in past and safe to spray on leaves. I wanted some latex for the bark but timing didn’t work out for me.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 08:12:54 AM »

Something is having a negative effect on that LZ as it looks sickly...
- Rob

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 02:04:17 PM »

Something is having a negative effect on that LZ as it looks sickly...

Looks like he cares for it so well though.  ;D My LZ wish I treated it like he does. I have lots of mulch but there's grass coming up all around it. I'm also done with protecting it from the sun anymore. It's getting too big to cover anymore and earlier this year I did cover it on our first 110+ day which did more harm than good, the shade cloth roughed up all the new delicate growth when the wind rustled it up against them. Mangoes are much tougher than I give them credit for. I need to stop babying them so much.