Author Topic: Jackfruit Looking Shabby  (Read 3483 times)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Jackfruit Looking Shabby
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:32:46 AM »
Recently I realized that my two jackfruits purchased from Excalibur (Lemon and Excal Red) were getting "wet feet" in 15gal plastic containers.  The planting mix I was using  was too heavy and anaerobic.

Subsequently, I re-potted into 15gal fabric pots with a perlite/planting mix which is significantly better.  Unfortunately the trees don't seem to be rebounding as quickly as I was hoping and are actually showing signs of deficiency (I think).  Could the tree be locked up from sitting in a wet soil?  Some leaves have fallen and the fresh nodes do not seem to be pushing.  A couple weeks ago, against my better judgment, I gave them some fert in hopes to spark some new growth but it had no affect. 

- Marley

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit Looking Shabby
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 11:22:57 AM »
Looks like it could be manganese deficiency. For potted plants, I always liked scotts osmocote pro with minors. It will keep your potted plants green and healthy for months. You won't see a green-up right away though -- the newer leaves will emerge green, but he older ones will stay unhealthy looking.

I don't know how big your operation is, but a pre-emergent (eg, ronstar) for the trees that you're not going to be harvesting fruit from for a least a year is a huge help to prevent weed growth. Otherwise, it's a constant battle to pick out the weeds, especially when you're giving your potted plants fertilizer (which you should be doing).
Jeff  :-)

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 12:11:25 PM »
Looks like it could be manganese deficiency. For potted plants, I always liked scotts osmocote pro with minors. It will keep your potted plants green and healthy for months. You won't see a green-up right away though -- the newer leaves will emerge green, but he older ones will stay unhealthy looking.

I don't know how big your operation is, but a pre-emergent (eg, ronstar) for the trees that you're not going to be harvesting fruit from for a least a year is a huge help to prevent weed growth. Otherwise, it's a constant battle to pick out the weeds, especially when you're giving your potted plants fertilizer (which you should be doing).

Hi Jeff!

Would you mind sharing a link as to where  scotts osmocote pro with minors and ronstar can be purchased? I guess I need them for my trees in containers.

Thanks
Onur

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:05:28 PM »
Is "Osmocote Pro 19-5-8 Minors, 8- 9 Month" good one for the container grown trees?

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 12:49:21 PM »
i had some frost damage to mine
and it seemed all spring and 1/2 the summer it was touch and go.
finally, i gave it some iron and epsom salt, and its leaves greened up
and started taking off...
not sure which one it was, but its happy now.

Also, i read something recently about not pruning in winter
(i think it was winter?)
that you can only prune at a certain time, or it can really hurt the plant.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 04:56:25 PM »
i had some frost damage to mine
and it seemed all spring and 1/2 the summer it was touch and go.
finally, i gave it some iron and epsom salt, and its leaves greened up
and started taking off...
not sure which one it was, but its happy now.

Also, i read something recently about not pruning in winter
(i think it was winter?)
that you can only prune at a certain time, or it can really hurt the plant.

That's good to hear about the recovery.

You are correct about timing your pruning.  I learned the hard way topping young mangoes last year.  Some varieties did good others declined and subsequently perished, notably LZ.
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 04:57:38 PM »

Hi Jeff!

Would you mind sharing a link as to where  scotts osmocote pro with minors and ronstar can be purchased? I guess I need them for my trees in containers.

Thanks
Onur

Jeff - Whenever you get a spare minute would you mind posting a pic of the scotts osmocote pro you're referring to?

Thank you.
- Marley

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 07:53:54 PM »
I am amazed you did not title this thread "Jackfruit Looking Jacked Up" - it was right there waiting for you...  :)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 10:50:03 PM »
This is what I was using => http://www.amleo.com/scotts-osmocote-fertilizer-15-9-12-slow-release-8-to-9-months-50lb-bag/p/159128/

I was able to feed hundreds of potted plants with a single bag. And, it greened up pretty much everything. But, any good osmocote product would do you well.

Hi Jeff!

Thanks
Onur

Jeff - Whenever you get a spare minute would you mind posting a pic of the scotts osmocote pro you're referring to?

Thank you.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »
This is what I was using => http://www.amleo.com/scotts-osmocote-fertilizer-15-9-12-slow-release-8-to-9-months-50lb-bag/p/159128/

I was able to feed hundreds of potted plants with a single bag. And, it greened up pretty much everything. But, any good osmocote product would do you well.

Hi Jeff!

Thanks
Onur

Thank you.

Thanks Jeff.  Is this something you applied monthly?  I like all of the minors it has.
- Marley

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »
It's an 8-9 month slow release, but under FL conditions, you can realistically expect to get 5 - 6 months out of it. So, twice a year approximately. Same with Ronstar -- once or twice per year. If you have irrigation covered, then you can just walk down the rows and toss a couple of spoonfuls of osmocote into each container, then make another pass with ronstar (sprinkled like seasoning on steak), and you're good for half a year. Easy squeezy.

Thanks Jeff.  Is this something you applied monthly?  I like all of the minors it has.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 03:28:15 PM »
It's an 8-9 month slow release, but under FL conditions, you can realistically expect to get 5 - 6 months out of it. So, twice a year approximately. Same with Ronstar -- once or twice per year. If you have irrigation covered, then you can just walk down the rows and toss a couple of spoonfuls of osmocote into each container, then make another pass with ronstar (sprinkled like seasoning on steak), and you're good for half a year. Easy squeezy.

Hey Jeff - Which type of Ronstar do you suggest?  Is it the WSP?  Thanks.
- Marley

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
I was using Ronstar G, but you should research and find the one that best suits your needs. It's no longer certified for use on edibles, so you probably don't want to be eating from anything treated with it. It also smells like gas :-).

The online prices are about double what you'll pay if you go to an ag supplier. Your best bet may be to hit up your local ag supplier and see what they offer.

Ronstar G lasted 6 - 12 months for me. It's a granular, and I sprinkled it on the soil of my potted plants at about the rate you would use for seasoning a steak (grain size is about that of salt).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk