Author Topic: First Lemon Zest and Pina Colada Mangoes  (Read 5735 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
First Lemon Zest and Pina Colada Mangoes
« on: June 12, 2015, 07:57:58 PM »

Found a runt of a Lemon Zest, nice and yellow on the ground.  Its the first home produced Lemon Zest fruit.  The Pina Colada mango was also on the ground and was a tad over ripe.  I ate the Pina Colada first.  I thought it had nice flavor and seemed aptly named based upon its flavor profile.  The tree has been a poor producer thus far but I haven't given up hope yet as the tree has not been in the ground sufficiently long to make any final conclusions.

The Lemon Zest was, in a word, superb.  I have planted out three trees and all are bearing this year despite their relative new planting status.  I don't have a huge number of fruits, but this tree is showing much better production than Pina Colada.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: First Lemon Zest and Pina Colada Mangoes
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:16:51 PM »
LZ is the G.O.A.T.

As for PC, I very much enjoy this bad bwoy. Good to hear they are coming through.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 11:12:53 PM »
I love love love PC. But it's been an absolute disaster of a tree out west for me. I'm planning on transplanting it to west palm beach at some point soon.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:05:31 AM »
Hey Harry, thanks for the taste and production report. Lemon Zest is my favorite mango that I have tasted so far, I was wondering where you would rank it? Top five, top ten?

Simon

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 08:23:52 AM »
Hey Harry, thanks for the taste and production report. Lemon Zest is my favorite mango that I have tasted so far, I was wondering where you would rank it? Top five, top ten?

Simon

At every tasting I have had it at, it has been top 5 and very often top 2 and has been #1 several times.  My tasting data for this mango is still not very extensive numbers wise, but I don't see this mango falling from the top 5.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »
Thanks for the info Harry, I still remember the first Lemon Zest I ever ate and it was mind blowing! There were heavy hitters on the tasting table but I forgot about all of them except Lemon Zest, Fruit Punch and Leo #5. Among the three, LZ was my favorite. I love them so much I have two grafted trees and three branches multi grafted onto my cocktail tree and I've got some seedlings I'm about to graft with more LZ scions. This variety is exceptional and does not appear to have as much variance in quality, sweetness and flavor from what I've read here on this forum. Sure there will be some variance but reports from Florida and SoCal appear to show LZ is a true GOAT. I can't wait to hear back on reports from other states and countries.

Simon

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 11:15:16 AM »
My lemon zest this year is loaded. The fruit have been fantastic.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »
I ate my first Pina Colada fruit yesterday. It was a bit tart similar to Sweet and tart mango. Did not taste like a pina colada cocktail. My tree is slow growing about 5.5 ft tall and the fruits are small. I give it a high rating but its is based on just one fruit.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 04:01:01 PM »
not bad production zands!  I was expecting 1 or 2 the way the production is panned on here.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 04:10:05 PM »
not bad production zands!  I was expecting 1 or 2 the way the production is panned on here.

Thanks! I am happy with the production but the fruits are small so a high seed to flesh ratio. IIRC the PC fruits are not billed as being so small. I got a tree designed for a girls doll house.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »

Thanks! I am happy with the production but the fruits are small so a high seed to flesh ratio. IIRC the PC fruits are not billed as being so small. I got a tree designed for a girls doll house.

8)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 10:18:13 PM »
The fruits have always been on the small side, slightly larger than a Gary.  Not sure where it was billed as anything different.It shohld have a flavor very similar to a Gary, very pina colada like in flavor.  Should not be really tart.  Not sure why your tree is small/slow growing however I have no idea how d it is.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 10:41:17 PM »
PC need to get extra ripe before it really tastes like piņa colada. Regular ripe it's more like a Dot on steroids with a chalky component.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 12:53:41 AM »
Did you say Dot on steroids?  Great, now I have another must have mango on my buy list.  I love Dot's.

Bill

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »
PC need to get extra ripe before it really tastes like piņa colada. Regular ripe it's more like a Dot on steroids with a chalky component.

I will admit I ate my first home grown pina colada a bit before dead ripe. Due to eagerness to taste it. So I gave it a 5 rating from that.  Looking for that real pina colada taste, I will let the next fruit go past ripe. Maybe you can blend the pulp with vodka or gin to make a cocktail. :) 8) :) 8)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »
Zands,

How has your Pina Colada tree worked out for you in the last season?  Also, IMHO a splash of "Sailor Jerry" would be the spirit of choice to complement.