Author Topic: Red Custard Apples Florida  (Read 23227 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Red Custard Apples Florida
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »
I picked up some Red Custard apples  (Annona reticulata} today (Feb15th) from a friend who is growing them in Parkland FL.  These beauties weighed from 1.5 to almost 2 lbs each. He has been harvesting them for the past 3 weeks. They have a little grit but are very sweet and have a flavor similar to birthday cake, which is what I call them. The trees were grafted and not identified but I think the cultivar may be Sarteneja. The trees are very prolific and there are at least 40 large fruits on each tree. I'll take photos of the them later on. How many of you are growing Custard apples and which cultivars? 
FGM                     

FloridaGreenMan

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Red Custard Apples Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:21:38 PM »
Nice pics Noel. I was told by Har that the fruit is from Sarteneja, Belize. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarteneja

Here is a pic of a sarteneja fruit from Excalibur:

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:31:40 PM »
I'm growing a 'Red' custard apple.....not sure on the actual cultivar. It came from Zill. Lost its leaves in the cold but I think its still alive.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:36:03 PM »
Noel --Do they grow close to seed? I am going to get rid of all the cherimoya trees I have and try growing something will actually grow here in in Broward. If you have a few seeds from them that you would sell I would love to try germinating/ growing a seedling :) Be in touch. I want to get the other info we talked about.
Thanks
Marin

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:24:20 PM »
Noel --Do they grow close to seed? I am going to get rid of all the cherimoya trees I have and try growing something will actually grow here in in Broward. If you have a few seeds from them that you would sell I would love to try germinating/ growing a seedling :) Be in touch. I want to get the other info we talked about.
Thanks
Marin

Since you already have them going, why don't you use them as root stocks instead?  Maybe Noel can sport you some scions?

Noel, how are these red custard apples compare to cherimoyas and atemoyas in taste?  They're beautiful in color, I wish they aren't as tender so we can try growing them in Socal.
Tim

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:07 PM »
Noel, I envy you so much... ;)

I'm currently growing one seedling of unknown origin. No fruit so far. I sure want to get San Pablo and Sarteneja...

Does anybody know if reticulata can be grafted on chirimoya?!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:43:46 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »
Thanks
Marin
They do grow pretty fairly true to seed and do extremely well in our climate. Grafted trees are not real common but are found at local sales.     
FloridaGreenMan

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 07:28:46 PM »
Thanks
Marin

Since you already have them going, why don't you use them as root stocks instead?  Maybe Noel can sport you some scions?

Noel, how are these red custard apples compare to cherimoyas and atemoyas in taste?  They're beautiful in color, I wish they aren't as tender so we can try growing them in Socal.

They are not as delicious as a good Atemoya or Cherimoya but some cultivars like Tikal and Sarteneja are very nice and have a raspberry taste. They are variable in taste from year to year also. They are probably the cold hardiest annona that is grown here. 

FloridaGreenMan

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Adam,
Vinho is the word in portuguese that means "wine".  Wine in Mexico/spanish is "vino".  I will bet you that the variety "vinho" comes from Brasil.  Recently,  I visited Lara Farms in Miami, and Mr. Lara told me that "San Pablo" also came from Brasil.  It came from the state of Sao Paulo in Brasil.  San Pablo is the spanish word for Sao Paulo in portuguese.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »
Thanks
Marin

Tim, if we can grow sugar apples here we can surely grow Annona reticulata. In fact, I just goggled it and read a post from cloudforest where a grower in San Clemente has a huge Annona reticulata. I'm getting A rectangular from Roger lol I have a Yucatan seedling that's growing slow and has withstood our winter without dropping a leaf.
JF
JF

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 01:33:34 AM »
They are already being grown in CA.  ;D

-Ethan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 01:44:03 AM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:44:03 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 02:45:16 AM »

-Ethan
oh yes, I forgot I called you "annona guy of the west" ;D

Joe - do you even have any room left to walk let alone a tree?  ;D
Tim

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 07:21:54 PM »
I grew a "Tikal"  A. reticulata amd it easily survived a few 30 degree nights in the early 80s that killed sugar apples and Rollinia. When it gets under 40 degrees, Rollinias drop lots of leaves. Rollinia is far from the cold hardiest. Now I am talking about trees grown outside without any protection, not protected container plants.
I have been growing Annonas for over 20 years and keep records.           
FloridaGreenMan

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »

-Ethan

I'm sorry Ethan what I meant to say was  a fruiting reticulata. BTW, how is your Red Geneva, has it fruited?

JF

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 07:30:26 PM »
I grew a "Tikal"  A. reticulata amd it easily survived a few 30 degree nights in the early 80s that killed sugar apples and Rollinia. When it gets under 40 degrees, Rollinias drop lots of leaves. Rollinia is far from the cold hardiest. Now I am talking about trees grown outside without any protection, not protected container plants.

Are you suggesting that A. reticulata is hardier than a sugar apple? How are the A. reticulata propagated in South Florida?

JF

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »
To tell you the truth, cold hardiness is far from an exact science.  Micro climatic conditions come into play.  The type of rootstock used can also make a difference.  One thing is certain, the healthier you maintain your trees during the entire year, the better they will survive a cold snap.  You have to take many factors into account when you judge how cold tolerant a tree really is. I grow my most delicate trees in a protected area on the south side of my property. One example of cold hardiness that I found during the cold snap we had in SFLA in 2009 was that my grafted J-31 Jakfruit did much worse than my seedling Jak. My J-31 lost 60% of it's leaves and had branch damage. It's on the protected side of my house, whereas my seedling Dang Suria Jak is in an open section of my yard and suffered zero damage. Before you judge how cold hardy something is, you need to examine all the evidence and over several years.         
FloridaGreenMan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 10:25:50 PM »

Have seen both Rollinia and custard apple attempted outside with no protection in ground.  Still think Rollinia is more tolerant in my experience...and what reinforces my belief even more, was my visit to fruit and spice park back around 4 yrs ago when freezes where bad...reticulata had no fruits and got hammered...rollinia held fruits and even some leaves!!!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 01:35:07 AM »
I picked up some Red Custard apples  (Annona reticulata} today (Feb15th) from a friend who is growing them in Parkland FL.

Are these trees as cold tolerant as mango trees?? Beautiful fruit and has me interested. I emailed Lara Miami and he said one gallon specimens will ready this summer of  the  Fernandez Custard Apple (Chirimoya)
Lara photo--->>

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=315162141847437&set=pu.133447883352198&type=1&theater

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 02:57:55 AM »
I'm sorry Ethan what I meant to say was  a fruiting reticulata. BTW, how is your Red Geneva, has it fruited?

JF

My A. reticulata and a few atemoyas bloomed like crazy last year but I did not pollinate anything.  The CA "Red Genoa" is growing like crazy, if only it was a true illama.

I've seen two types of rollinia, one that looks like a yellow cherimoya and one that looks like Noel's Amazon (soursop looking).  Maybe this explains the different experiences w/the cold tolerance of rollinias?

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
I picked up some Red Custard apples  (Annona reticulata} today (Feb15th) from a friend who is growing them in Parkland FL.

Are these trees as cold tolerant as mango trees?? Beautiful fruit and has me interested. I emailed Lara Miami and he said one gallon specimens will ready this summer of  the  Fernandez Custard Apple (Chirimoya)
Lara photo--->>

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=315162141847437&set=pu.133447883352198&type=1&theater

Mangos are probably more cold hardy than reticulata or squamosa here in SFLA. Maybe Superman Adam in Orlando will tell you differently but that is my opinion. The advantage that annonas do have is that most go into dormancy and that helps them to survive better.   I still rank Rollinia lower in cold tolerance than either of the two aforementioned fruits on my property, especially younger trees. Once they become established trees that story may change!   

FloridaGreenMan

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 12:20:41 PM »
FloridaGreenMan---

Tanks much!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »
To tell you the truth, cold hardiness is far from an exact science.  Micro climatic conditions come into play.  The type of rootstock used can also make a difference.  One thing is certain, the healthier you maintain your trees during the entire year, the better they will survive a cold snap.  You have to take many factors into account when you judge how cold tolerant a tree really is. I grow my most delicate trees in a protected area on the south side of my property. One example of cold hardiness that I found during the cold snap we had in SFLA in 2009 was that my grafted J-31 Jakfruit did much worse than my seedling Jak. My J-31 lost 60% of it's leaves and had branch damage. It's on the protected side of my house, whereas my seedling Dang Suria Jak is in an open section of my yard and suffered zero damage. Before you judge how cold hardy something is, you need to examine all the evidence and over several years.       

Thanks Noel
I'll will put it on the protected side of my house, it's in a 7 gallon now. I've talked to Roger Meyer and Ben Poirier about their experience with Custard Apple both of them said they are too cold sensitive for our climate. Roger showed me his Rollinia that's been on the ground for 3 years and has taken our cold winters with no problem. He said that the Rollinia grows more vigorously than any annona he has ever grown..

JF

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »
Good to hear they do well there.  There may be some types that do better in cooler climates. That's what makes this hobby interesting!
FloridaGreenMan