Author Topic: Does Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) grow in Florida or California ?  (Read 10750 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Does Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) grow in Florida or California ?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
Algarve is one of the warmest place in Europe, Malagà is not too far and has a similar climate, Cordoba and Sevilla are colder, Cadiz slightly warmer....

Average of Malaga: DEC :13.2°C JAN 12.1°C  FEB 12.9°C

Average of Faro (South Portugal) : DEC 13.3°C  JAN 12.0°C  FEB 12.8°C

Wikipedia

not very warm. I though Malaga was like La Habra our average for those three month would be 16°C Miami 20°C

E. E. La Mayora. Parcela experimental de mangos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7JG0oSO_TI
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:26:44 AM by JF »

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 12:37:11 PM »
Yes, in Europe (Canary Islands apart, but there is Africa more than Europe) we don't have a place with winter temperature as high as Miami or South Florida. 

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 01:18:29 PM »
Yes, in Europe (Canary Islands apart, but there is Africa more than Europe) we don't have a place with winter temperature as high as Miami or South Florida.

Canary Island is like Miami and SoCal. Miami is very close to tropical but there's no place with winter temps in Europe as high as SoCal.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »
Canary Islands (28°N) has an ocean climate, Tenerife is also called "Isle of eternal spring"....never too hot, never too cold.

But several islands have less than 200mm water/year...1/10 of Miami.

The rest of Europe is not so warm, but south Europe is norther than North of Florida....Here in Italy, near to the France we have Liguria, probably the warmest place in the world for its latitude (44°N)....there, i know people who tried Mango, I saw Guava and White Zapote fruits, Lytchee and Avocados are pretty common.

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 07:41:28 AM »

My own observation is that those tropical plants that require a lot of heat, tend
 to bloom rather late into Summer, and so the fruits will have to mature over winter
 and either fail or produce very poor quality fruits. Good examples: tamarind,
 biribá (A. mucosa) and A. reticula.

Some species develop their fruits much faster and have enough time to mature them
 before winter sets in: Lychee, longan, marula, mango, A. squamosa (part of the crop).
 For these, the main requirement is not being exposed to freezing temperatures. Given that,
 they can handle somewhat cool conditions over the whole winter.

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 04:38:21 PM »
I was talking abouth that in another place....it's a very interesting thing, I would like to open another thread to speak about that.  :)

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 10:19:05 PM »
tamarind is purely tropical,it prefers a bit dry climate, dosent like much watering...seedling may take a bit more time to flower, even grafted plant need 5 years to flower...

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 11:52:15 PM »
I have neglected my 5 gallon Tamarind and it is maybe 3 feet tall and wide. The tree flowered for the first time this year with (as expected) no fruit set. I have noticed it needing MORE water than less water during the warmer months. Otherwise, zero special care at my place...I had meant to plant it out but got some OCD on rarer trees to collect and was put "on the back burner". Chris

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2015, 04:12:55 AM »
tamarind is purely tropical,it prefers a bit dry climate, dosent like much watering...seedling may take a bit more time to flower, even grafted plant need 5 years to flower...

What do you mean with pure tropical?? Durian or Rambutam are purely tropical and can die if temp is below 10°C...Tamarind can resist until 0°C

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2023, 12:10:33 AM »
Tamarind definitely does not take 10 years to produce from seed, at least in my experience. My mother planted some seeds about 4-6 years ago, kept one and gave one to my grandmother. Ours fruited last year and has lots of flowers now, and my grandmother's fruited even earlier.

I too am curious as to what the normal duration is from fruitset to maturity, and perhaps cultivation or NPK formula advice.

It was a bit surreal reading through this thread this evening during a search for tamarind growing posts, coming across the above comment, and nonchalantly glancing at the username only to realize it was posted by myself. :P

After a decade or more, we are back to our previous house whereat my mother had also planted a different seed-grown tamarind than was referenced in my above comment. To my recollection, this tree is also part of the triad of trees grown at our last home and my grandmother's house. In either case, I am reviving my previous comment to see if anyone has an update on my original query about fertilizer recommendations?

Unfortunately, after being torn down by a severe hurricane and losing most of its main trunk, as well as being neglected in the years we were living elsewhere, the tree here has not been flowering nor fruiting discernably for the past year or two at least. I have recently repainted my thumb green and undertaken an effort to revitalize our fruit trees, and today purchased and broadcasted some Sunniland 6-1-8 fertilizer around the root zone, however I would be happy to hear about other fertilizer suggestions.

Pic is from April 2021, about 1.5 years after Hurricane Dorian which uprooted nearly the entire tree:

You can see the remnants of the original trunk laying horizontally near the ground, and the offshoots which have since taken over to form an upright 'U' of main branches on either side of the original trunk's base. The upright main branches are now about 10+ feet tall and have lots of healthy-looking foliage, but no flowers nor fruit. I am also toying with the idea of hard pruning the tree to bring it down to a more manageable height, and purchased a hand saw along with the Sunniland fertilizer, but would not be sure how best to approach the task given my limited experience.

In total, the tree should be 15 or more years old by now, and I suspect the lack of flowers and fruit may be a fertilizer issue as the other same-aged seed-grown tree I originally referenced at our previous home still has unpicked ripened pods hanging from its branches. We have extremely sandy soil if that helps with fertilizer recommendations, and I am in the initial works to have bulk wood chips trucked in to begin the process of amending the yard with additional organic matter.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 12:19:51 AM by BahamaDan »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2023, 12:58:37 AM »
Under ideal conditions a legume should be able to acquire nitrogen through symbiosis. The nutrient which would provide greatest benefit is likely potassium. It might help to add molasses to jump start the bacteria in the nodules.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2023, 10:03:06 AM »
Saw a few young tamarind trees in Malaga last March (on the university campus, so could be experimental). Only one bad fruit hanging from a twig

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2023, 09:29:54 PM »
I know of one giant tree in the Cerritos, CA area the size of a mature avocado. I would not have believed it was a tamarind tree if it had not fruited because lots of trees seems to have similiar leaves. Now compare to my 10 year old 3.5 feet tall tamarind ...bush. ahah.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk