Author Topic: Is My Ice Cream Mango Flowering?  (Read 6431 times)

bobbyjo

• Canada, Toronto, 5
    • View Profile
Is My Ice Cream Mango Flowering?
« on: September 09, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »
I was looking at my Ice Cream mango that I got in July '12 from PIN and noticed what looks like flower buds.  I have attached photos of the plant and what I think are 3 flower buds.  Greatly appreciated any comments/help.  Thank-you.  robert

I had posted about the Ice Cream mango and three others I had picked up this year at:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2021.0;all

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Is My Ice Cream Mango Flowering?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »
I suppose it is possible.  However, I think it is much more likely that it is new vegetative growth.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:15:12 PM »
I guess they are flower buds! Looks the same as my pickering.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »
Looks like flowers.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 01:59:56 AM »
Robert - what is your current weather/temps like and what have they been over the last month? 
- Rob

bobbyjo

• Canada, Toronto, 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:23:21 AM »
Tks for the input Harry, Samuel & Robbie - I was thinking they're flower buds because they look different from new flushes.  My concern was that it is so late in the season so I wasn't sure what would have to the fruits.

Bsbullie, I am in the Toronto, Canada area & the temperature has ranged from 10C/50F at night to 30C/86F during the day for the past month.  The last few days it's been more 10C/50F at night and about 20 to 27C/68 to 80F during the day.  I will be bring them in by mid to late September where there will be artifical lighting and heating.  Tks.

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:16:56 PM »
How tall is the tree? The main concern and also includes me, I don't if fruits can ripen with artificial sunlight...I think you told me that it was next to a window with cfls?

bobbyjo

• Canada, Toronto, 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:47:42 PM »
Samuel, it's about 2 1/2 to 3ft tall.  It will be in a south facing window & cfl's/flourescent tubes.  If they form fruits, I may just leave them and see what happens.

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:00:52 PM »
Yes, you could try :) What is really weird is that my 2 feet tall pickering is also blooming!

bobbyjo

• Canada, Toronto, 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
An update on the Ice Cream mango.  Those are flower buds and are slowly starting to open up as the photo shows.  Unfortunately the weather is starting to cool down - been down to about 8C/46F at night and  only to about 20C/68F at night.  I'll be moving them indoors soon so hopefully they will continue to develop.

@samuel, how's your Pickering and Carrie doing?  Have they formed fruits?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:24:55 PM »
See...the new location designation would have helped me give you a better answer.  If I realized you were up in Canada, where cool weather had already occurred, I would have said that blooms they were more likely to be, instead of new vegetative growth. This is especially so now that I see your updated pictures. ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bobbyjo

• Canada, Toronto, 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »
Harry, I thought I did enter my location and zone - turned out I had just entered the member map info.

What do you think I should do?  Let them develop as far as they will or remove the fruits once they start forming.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »
My Harvest Moon mango started to bloom last week and my NDM last month and it has little mangos. I'm going to leave them alone since our mango trees go dormant in Dec.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 08:20:06 AM »
Harry, I thought I did enter my location and zone - turned out I had just entered the member map info.

What do you think I should do?  Let them develop as far as they will or remove the fruits once they start forming.

Unfortunately, the best advice is to not let it carry any fruits at this size.  If you want a healthy tree, you should wait for fruit to set and then remove them while they are tiny. Don't cut the flower spikes off as this will only cause more flowering.  I'd understand if you a left one fruit to develop, but that will impede the future size/growth/and probably health of the tree.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
samuel, how's your Pickering and Carrie doing?  Have they formed fruits?

Well, they are doing wonderful! I brought them in this week because we had a low of 5C this past week. I had difficulties to finish up the grow room, but I'm happy of what I made. They seem to love the grow light :) I have 5 kiwi sized fruits on the carrie! I think I won't let the pickering fruit, because it is too small. It haven't set fruit yet, but it is in full bloom. I can tell you, mango flowers smell strong in my garage and it doesn't smell that good....

What type of kelvin you use with your cfls Robert? Do you know any cheap places to buy cfls? I bought a couple of warm white bulbs on ebay to get a little bit of red with the metal halide.

Here's some pictures:

Pickering flowering:

Carrie fruits:

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »
Wow Samuel...those look GREAT!! Congrats...the little baby mangoes looks so cute  ;D. Good luck and hope they continue to grow over the winter for you.

Nice blooming trees bobbyjo and JF.

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »
Thanks :) I hope they will ripen! I think the tree zaps its energy it bloomed again by my fault.... I will have to prune it back. It gets leggy...

bobbyjo

• Canada, Toronto, 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »
What type of kelvin you use with your cfls Robert? Do you know any cheap places to buy cfls? I bought a couple of warm white bulbs on ebay to get a little bit of red with the metal halide.
Samuel, I am not sure what the kelvin is for the cfl's I have - I couldn't find any info on the box.  They were from Canadian Tire so they are just the ones you can get at any store.

Nice blooming trees bobbyjo and JF.
Thanks puglvr1, I just hope I don't kill them over the winter.
By the way, I had followed your postings on your pineapple guava.  Although I really don't have room for another plant in the house, I just bought another one after hearing that you need two for pollination.  Here it is:

It is from Monrovia:

JF/Harry, not sure I'm gong to do if they set fruits but I am leaning towards removing them to ensure a future healthy tree.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Robert

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »
Quote from bobbyjo

"Thanks puglvr1, I just hope I don't kill them over the winter.
By the way, I had followed your postings on your pineapple guava.  Although I really don't have room for another plant in the house, I just bought another one after hearing that you need two for pollination."
It is from Monrovia:"

That's a great looking Pineapple Guava!! Best of luck with that one as well! I can only imagine how hard it must be overwintering fruit trees in your climate...I hope it goes well for you all you guys out there.

Nancy

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 08:03:09 PM »
Can somebody give me a few hints of when a mango is enough mature to pick up? I know that the Carrie mango stays green when ripe or get a little yellow color break when ripe or enough mature to pick? Does somebody knows also how big they will get? The height of my biggest one is 3.5 inches.