Author Topic: A Fascination with Fatty Fruits  (Read 24106 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
A Fascination with Fatty Fruits
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »
I have a fascination with fruits that have high fat content.

I think that these fats play an essential role in human health, and that they should be sought after by those who are trying to improve their health/diet (especially if u r vegan or vegetarian).  It's been really hard for me to find a good fruit fat, other than avocado/coconut! 

I think that each species of plant that has a fatty fruit, has a unique fruit fat, that is beneficial in it's own way.  As a result, I'm trying to diversify my sources for fat in a fruit.

I'd like to compile a list of fatty fruits here.

of course all nuts, coconut, Avocado, akee and Engkala, and Durian make the list.

But what about fruits like,  Uxi ? (Endopleura uchi)

in particular I'm looking for fruits that are fleshy, and not like nuts, or similar to coconut...where the endosperm is consumed...I'm looking for fat in pulp/flesh (mesocarp)....not a seed!

It's supposed to have a super high oil content, and a nice flavor.

The tree is from Brazil, and of tropical origins.  The Uxi's large size, cold sensitivity and lengthy time period required to produce fruits, are the 3 main culprits that keep me from further investigating this species as a candidate for my container garden in zone 9b, FL.

I can't stop looking at the tree, because the foliage is so beautiful and it's in a family I've never heard of before.  I have not seen any other members of this family being referenced in any fruit books I've read online or anywhere.  The family is Humiriaceae.

It will be nice to hear from you about trees like I've described, and more about this tree in particular.  If anyone has eaten one first hand (I hear they are best prepared, due to how oily they are), that would be great if you'd post an account of your experience.

also if there are some other fat fruits I've forgotten.

thanks in advance for posting.

PS:
Turns out as I was researching in my Brazilian fruit book, i found out that Acai (Euterpe oleracea), and Tucum (bactris setosa) have high levels of fat! This shouldn't surprise me, because they are palms, but for some reason it did.  I wonder if they take the measurement of fat from a sample of fruit that contains the endosperm?  The levels of fat in these plants is actually astounding to me.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
Re: A Fascination with Fatty Fruits
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:12:04 PM »
some others...

fruit & seed: african oil palm
seed: Theobroma, Herrania,...
fruit: saifu, shea, ackee
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 04:13:18 PM »
Saff it looks like you have identified the major ones (or is that kernel ones?).Durios,avos,olives and a variety of seeds used as vegies would be my pick here.If we're chewing the fat about palms I think most have low fat content with acai and coconuts being exceptions.Deep fried bananas and pineapple fritters can be pretty greasy.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 04:22:53 PM »
While not a fruit, soybeans (and some soybean products) have a high beneficial fat content.
- Rob

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
How about cempedak? What's the fat content? It feels juicy and creamy at the same time. Someone else mentioned on this forum that mocambo (Theobroma bicolor) is somewhat creamy like cempedak.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
How about cempedak? What's the fat content? It feels juicy and creamy at the same time. Someone else mentioned on this forum that mocambo (Theobroma bicolor) is somewhat creamy like cempedak.
While it may seem creamy (I will do some checking to see if I can find any figures), as is canistel, ross sapote and even mamey sapote, I am pretty sure that none of them fall into the "high fat" group.
- Rob

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »
I think Artocarpus have "normal" fat content for a fruit (low amounts), same with the pulp of the Theobromas (but the seeds have high fat content).

The Laurel family has lots of fruits with fatty flesh, avocado and engkala are just the best known examples... but there are PLENTY of others (the Litsea genus itself seems to have a lot).

Ackee is an oddball because most of its relatives, mammonicillo, lytchee, longan, rambutan, talisia... have low fat content.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »
While not a fruit, soybeans (and some soybean products) have a high beneficial fat content.

also i think the soy bean is the endosperm, not the mesocarp...as stated in my description of what i"m searching for.

thanks for posting!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 05:57:31 PM »
While the following from Julia Morton is for jackfruit, not champedek, I am sure it would not be too far off:

Food Value Per 100 g of Edible Portion

Pulp (ripe-fresh)        Seeds (fresh)    Seeds (dried)
Calories                       98       
Moisture                   72.0-77.2 g        51.6-57.77 g    
Protein                     1.3-1.9 g                     6.6 g    
Fat                             0.1-0.3 g                     0.4 g    
Carbohydrates            18.9-25.4 g             38.4 g    
Fiber                             1.0-1.1 g                     1.5 g    
Ash                              0.8-1.0 g         1.25-1.50 g                    2.96%
Calcium                        22 mg                0.05-0.55 mg            0.13%
Phosphorus                38 mg                0.13-0.23 mg            0.54%
Iron                               0.5 mg                0.002-1.2 mg            0.005%
Sodium                          2 mg       
Potassium                    407 mg       
Vitamin A                       540 I.U.       
Thiamine                      0.03 mg       
Niacin                          4 mg       
Ascorbic Acid              8-10 mg       
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »

also i think the soy bean is the endosperm, not the mesocarp...as stated in my description of what i"m searching for.

thanks for posting!
I know, was just throwing it out there....as it is available in different edible forms, its fat is considered highly beneficial.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »
Never heard of uxi. Durian has very high fat content. I found that out the hard way when i returned from Thailand and weighed myself!!! I had gained about 20 pounds.  :o
Morton book has good nutritional charts and you can look up fat content of fruits she lists. Other books may also have some nutritional information charts.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
I think u r right BSBULLIE.

unless u eat the nuts of the fruits, they probably don't have significant amounts.

thanks

While it may seem creamy (I will do some checking to see if I can find any figures), as is canistel, ross sapote and even mamey sapote, I am pretty sure that none of them fall into the "high fat" group.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 06:04:49 PM »
Grow one for me in HI.

I think you can do it!

You will be my hero...once again.
Never heard of uxi. Durian has very high fat content. I found that out the hard way when i returned from Thailand and weighed myself!!! I had gained about 20 pounds.  :o
Morton book has good nutritional charts and you can look up fat content of fruits she lists. Other books may also have some nutritional information charts.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 06:07:40 PM »
If you're in the market for fats I suggest a big Mac and fries for all the 'essential oils' you can handle.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »
If you're in the market for fats I suggest a big Mac and fries for all the 'essential oils' you can handle.

When I eat a big mac, I can taste how unhappy the cow was when it died.

:)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2787.0

do u have any info on this Mike T...while I've got you on the phone.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »

Yes oils, and preservatives, hormones, antibiotics, artificial colorings, artificial flavorings, and genetically modified crops, herbicides, pesticides, miticides, soil fumigants. Then after that the meat is irradiated. Oh, would you like a dab of pink slime with that? You could call it a cocktail burger. HAHAHAHA
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »

Yes oils, and preservatives, hormones, antibiotics, artificial colorings, artificial flavorings, and genetically modified crops, herbicides, pesticides, miticides, soil fumigants. Then after that the meat is irradiated. Oh, would you like a dab of pink slime with that? You could call it a cocktail burger. HAHAHAHA
damn...there goes dinner  ;) ??? :P :-\ :blank:
- Rob

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 06:49:13 PM »
Craboo/nance Byrsonima crassifolia is a bit fatty.  I grew to love it in Belize.  Probably being grown in Florida in some gardens as it ranges up into Mexico naturally.  It is one of the most harvest-friendly fruits on the planet.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 06:55:10 PM »
Saff it is than bane of many farmers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carissa_spinarum
This conkerberry is highly variable and apparently reaches the the heights of being exceptionally ordinary in the finest specimens.A climate with a little less rain and hotter summers than Phoenix would be ideal.They have high pest potential and there I go again giving a species more credit than it deserves.

It sounds like the most healthful way to eat the big mac and fries would be just to squeeze out the glass of fat/oil and guzzle that down.Fat enthusiasts might find the drink more of a treat than I would.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »

damn...there goes dinner  ;) ??? :P :-\ :blank:

Enjoy your McDonald's cocktail burger. A real molotov cocktail in your stomach! Bon apetit. 
For more information on McDonald's french fries watch the movie Supersize Me. Really great how their fries could stand on the cupboard for months without growing any mold on them! Even lower life forms are smart enough not to eat them. HAHAHA  Now if humans would wise up! ::)
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »
Craboo/nance Byrsonima crassifolia is a bit fatty.  I grew to love it in Belize.  Probably being grown in Florida in some gardens as it ranges up into Mexico naturally.  It is one of the most harvest-friendly fruits on the planet.

Nance is a very nice tasting fruit with unusual taste. In Brazil they make an excellent ice cream out of it. Was one of my favorites. Tree also very ornamental with very pretty flowers.
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »
Don`t forget this baby: Mauritia flexuosa BTW, the raw taste reminded me a lot of olives...

The flesh of mocambo has not fat, but of course the seeds if you roast them ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 07:16:38 PM »
Don`t forget this baby: Mauritia flexuosa BTW, the raw taste reminded me a lot of olives...

The flesh of mocambo has not fat, but of course the seeds if you roast them ;)

Lots of palms have fruits that are very fatty. One of the fattiest i tasted is tucuma (Astrocaryum vulgare). But acai and buriti (M. flexuosa) are also very oily. Acai is made into a wonderful porridge like soup in Brazil. Very filling! Tastes like avocado with black olives mixed in.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »
Bactris gasipaes ( Peach palm )  I had some, and liked their taste, to me they tasted like buttered popcorn.

Dont forget the Theobromas ( Cupuacu, cacao, pataxte )

Turmeric root , is about 15% fat. plus has many other health benefits.

Some other grains like Amaranth,  about 11%.

I know these are not technically fruits, but added them here anyway as they are decent sources of fats from non animal sources.

When one speaks of nuts,  there are so many,  that , this alone would give you all the fats anyone would need.

protein in fruits is probably even harder to find.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "