Author Topic: Fast Fruiting Shrubs ~ Looking for Recommendations ~ Nasty Fruits Included  (Read 1421 times)

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile

Hey Guys,

Im in Texas, and ive been trying to focus on Heavy Fruiting, Sour Fruits, Quick Bearing (around 2 years), or Usually Ignored Fruits (or even flat out avoided)
  DO YOU KNOW ANY FRUITS THAT FIT THIS CRITERIA? OR ANY WEIRD PLANTS NOT AS POPULAR?

As an example.. here is a list of similar ideas. 

im trying to grow Peanut Butter fruit,
Black berry jam fruits,
Noni,
Miracleberry,
Narajilla,
Tamarillo

Im looking for..
Tree Tomato, real Tamarillo,
other Solanums. 
GOUMI!
Soh Shang, or bastard oleaster called silver berry.. Elaeagnus.
Seaberry?
Pink Wampee

Thanks for your input

TSmith

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
Surinam Cherry
Pitangatuba - Star Cherry
Barbados Cherry - Acerola

Those are a couple that may fit the bill. They grow extremely good here in central Florida.

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
Are those both Eugenias?  They do look great! Theres a eugenia called RioGrande.. thats basically where im from so. Thats a really good idea.

that Acerola looks amazing too.. great story behind it. yeah.. thats the one <3
how long does it take Barbados to fruit?

Botanicus

• North Central Florida
    • View Profile
Spondias dulcis is very fast from seed to fruit

TSmith

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
Are those both Eugenias?  They do look great! Theres a eugenia called RioGrande.. thats basically where im from so. Thats a really good idea.

that Acerola looks amazing too.. great story behind it. yeah.. thats the one <3
how long does it take Barbados to fruit?

Yes, I have the cherry of the Rio Grande, but I think it can take 3 years to fruit. I have had mine for over 1 year and no fruit. the Acerola fruits many times a year and was fruiting in the pot when I bought it.

I read a lot about them utilizing some of the Eugenia as hedging plants, which is what we are trying to replace our plants in our yard with (without getting the HOA upset).  ;D ;D

Bartacomus

• View Profile
Re: Fast Fruiting Shrubs ~ Looking for Recommendations ~ Nasty Fruits Included
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 08:08:02 AM »
Bontanicus.. THAT.. is what im talking about. Quick fruiting, in 1 gallon pots, thats acidic (miracle berry).  Thats one i will be looking into. Hopefully it can handle some Texas cool.
thanks man, thats exciting.

Tsmith, that just makes me even more determined. For the acerola.  You know i heard Guava make really great bushes very trainable and sculptable. And will still fruit.

Lay some Goumi or Goji on them.. or Soh-shang. Supposedly you cant stop those monsters from growing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk