Author Topic: Kauai White Sugarloaf Pineapples  (Read 37580 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Kauai White Sugarloaf Pineapples
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2017, 09:18:27 AM »
update again the kauai white sugarloaf if you plan to grow them they don't like the cold at all and get freeze burn easy last
week we had a few days here in florida that were pretty cold i went to look at them and most of the leaves were white...
so i went online to do a search on pineapple white leaves meant freeze burn from cold temps around 50 or lower....
i just hope it didn't hurt them to bad that they will pull through

its crazy cause none of my other pineapple plant varitys took any damage from the cold

so far i have learned Kauai white sugarloaf plants are  sensitive to sun they burn easy on really hot days and now cold sensitive
guess that's why they do so great in Hawaii.... jude has said before the plant and fruit sun burn easy

Funny but my Sugarloaf and White Jade have not shown stress unlike a couple of "twistees".  Temps have dropped in the greenhouse to 35F at least 3 times and some are getting very white.  I don't think pineapples in general like temps below 45F

hey mine look just like what you showed in your photo... the white color on the leaves is damage from getting to cold....
its weird cause only my white sugarloaf got damage and all my other pineapple plants did fine

When temperatures drop to freezing, the pineapple plant may be damaged. Red or white burn spots on the leaves and rotting fruit indicate that the plant was exposed to temperatures at or below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. While the pineapple can tolerate very brief periods of low or freezing temperatures, longer exposure may lead to the death of the plant.

Mine are almost full grown but like you said most pineapple plants don't handle cold weather very well I'm glad my queen and red Spanish are very cold tolerant and handle cold weather better
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:01:36 AM by Evildeadguy »
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2018, 06:38:19 PM »
Just got one the other day and here brix I got. Best pineapple I had

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2018, 02:28:22 AM »
I’ve been recommending these pineapples to all my friends and everyone loves them. Save the top for planting!

Simon

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2018, 01:42:58 AM »
Just planted 22 of tbese. 🤙🏼   White pineapple for life!

With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2018, 02:23:44 AM »
I've been reading this pineapple tread today, you guys made me thinking of planting some myself!  :D
Sam

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2018, 07:33:37 AM »
I've been reading this pineapple tread today, you guys made me thinking of planting some myself!  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqDYcCDOTg

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2018, 12:08:07 AM »
Got to try my first Sugarloaf pineapple today, and it was amazing. I immediately saved the top to plant later

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2018, 12:45:11 AM »
Just planted 22 of tbese. 🤙🏼   White pineapple for life!

looking good! how far do you space them?

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »
Newly Potted White SugarLoaf Pineapple Plant :) Hopefully these ones will do better than last season they took alot of cold damage and all the leaves died off

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2018, 06:08:28 PM »
Newly Potted White SugarLoaf Pineapple Plant :) Hopefully these ones will do better than last season they took alot of cold damage and all the leaves died off

Whats that black you used? This by far was the best and also plus is not sharp needle fins to poke you

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2018, 08:57:35 PM »

Whats that black you used? This by far was the best and also plus is not sharp needle fins to poke you

It's called a weed block disk made to fit pots

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2018, 06:23:06 AM »

It's called a weed block disk made to fit pots

Thanks so much

wzy43155

• China
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2018, 08:22:45 PM »

Where did you get the white SugarLoaf Pineapple seedlings?

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2018, 08:41:08 AM »

Where did you get the white SugarLoaf Pineapple seedlings?

Hi i got them a little over a year ago from this website you have to order the white sugarloaf from them and grow from the crown you get with the pineapple.... https://kauaisugarloaf.com/

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »
Just got one the other day and here brix I got. Best pineapple I had

Holy King Kamehameha!  I just looked at that brix.  26.5, are you kidding me?

Got a bunch of these that need upcanning to 3 gal. pots.  Hope to fruit them next year.......got my lab grade bottle of calcium carbide by mah side if they choose to be stingy with their offspring.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2018, 04:57:27 PM »
Wow, that’s the highest reading I’ve seen from a white Sugarloaf! I didn’t know it can get that high. I guess I’ll have to fertilize my plants now.

Simon

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2018, 08:41:04 PM »
this is the top for the brix in Jan
Hopefully it will be same great taste

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2018, 10:33:17 AM »
I think the 26.5 degree of brix might have been a fluke. I was just looking through the previous posts from simon_grow, and he was getting brix readings of 19 from the same grower for orders received in May and July.

19 degree of brix should be more typical of this fruit. So, I wouldn't assume that there is anything magical about the Kaui Sugarloaf over a regular sugarloaf or white jade. Probably just a good year for the grower.
Jeff  :-)

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2018, 10:54:50 AM »
I think the 26.5 degree of brix might have been a fluke. I was just looking through the previous posts from simon_grow, and he was getting brix readings of 19 from the same grower for orders received in May and July.

19 degree of brix should be more typical of this fruit. So, I wouldn't assume that there is anything magical about the Kaui Sugarloaf over a regular sugarloaf or white jade. Probably just a good year for the grower.
True but maybe this year turned into a great one, unlike the mangoes turned not soo good in florida due to rain lowered mangoes?Not sure how Hawaii was during the time i bought it if there was any influence. Since as you stated same with mangoes for florida this year with lower side of the brix compared to other years? Or it could have been a one time fluke.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »

I have had about 15 of them from Jude over the last year, 3 that were received in February 2018, all others were between June and September 2017.   The 3 from February were by far the worst I have had (all 3 were the same quality).  Lowest in terms of sweetness/sugars and highest in terms of acidity.  The ones from last year were consistently total sugar bombs with very little in the way of acidity (both Sheehan and Peter sampled them).

I am not saying every fruit harvested will be equal (they do have multiple fields) but just making a comparison of what I have been able to sample.

I have placed another order so will see if maybe its the year thats off, different with different seasons or just a total, unknown coincidence with no viable comparison to be made...
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »

I have had about 15 of them from Jude over the last year, 3 that were received in February 2018, all others were between June and September 2017.   The 3 from February were by far the worst I have had (all 3 were the same quality).  Lowest in terms of sweetness/sugars and highest in terms of acidity.  The ones from last year were consistently total sugar bombs with very little in the way of acidity (both Sheehan and Peter sampled them).

I am not saying every fruit harvested will be equal (they do have multiple fields) but just making a comparison of what I have been able to sample.

I have placed another order so will see if maybe its the year thats off, different with different seasons or just a total, unknown coincidence with no viable comparison to be made...

Same experience. I got 4 (one of them was smaller so she adds an extra) a few months ago and they were nothing to write home about. What I got from her last year was amazing - night and day difference in the crops.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2018, 12:07:00 PM »
I'm excited that these Kauai White Sugarloafs don't have spines on the leaves.  I pulled all of my White Sugarloafs because the spines tore me up anytime I brushed against them.  Does anyone have some pups or slips for sale?

Bill

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »
I'm excited that these Kauai White Sugarloafs don't have spines on the leaves.  I pulled all of my White Sugarloafs because the spines tore me up anytime I brushed against them.  Does anyone have some pups or slips for sale?

Bill

I don't have any to offer at the time.... but i do have a plant i keep around it wont ever grow a pineapple but it does produce suckers if i get a few i will let ya know..... hopefully someone on here has some to spare  to sell

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »
You can always place an order with Jude and get a fruit and a top...
- Rob

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2018, 02:45:17 PM »
You can always place an order with Jude and get a fruit and a top...

Did so recently as I purchased Kona Sugarloaf pineapple starts thinking they were the same as the Kauai Sugarloaf.
Man that pineapple was delicious 🤤

Sergio