Author Topic: Dense passion fruit planting  (Read 2096 times)

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Dense passion fruit planting
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:21:32 PM »
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has experience growing passion fruit's close to other passion fruit vine.
Could you please share your experiences?

Does it work OK or do they strangle each other out?

I currently have an unknown purple, and will be planting a lilikoi in spring next to it, but I have a third variety I am interested in growing. (Lingulari)
These are growing on two 16ft cattle panel tied to 10 ft t posts in a straight line.

Volume isn't a huge deal for me as it's mostly just myself who enjoys them.

Thanks,
-Kris

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Dense passion fruit planting
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 09:44:59 PM »
I have about 6 passion vines growing within a couple of feet of each other (in a line on a fence, one plant every 3 feet or so), and intermingled to the point that is nearly impossible to distinguish some varieties from one another. They seem to be growing well together, and provide extra privacy with the fence. Several of the vines have flowered and produced fruit, and they seem to be just getting started.

You should have room to cram in a few more. Stick with the ones you like and do the best for you.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:53:05 PM »
Glad to hear your having success. My 3 plants for 32ft of fencing sounds like nothing compared to yours! Just ordered seeds for the 3rd variety. Hopefully I'll have it ready by spring!
-Kris

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 04:09:10 AM »
I've also them growing in a row, about 4 feet from each other and climbing on a trellis.
They are very vigorous with a wide spread root system, i would not plant them too close.
They mix well, i think it also helps in cross pollination.

Lorenzo

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 07:41:41 AM »
Usual recommendation for commercial plantings on trellis is 2-3 meters(6-10 feet) but I expect a lot depends on your trellis type and goals. The effective root zone I'd estimate is 6 feet in diameter. If you squeeze them close and don't provide enough room for the top growth that would probably be a waste of vines. With close spacing you might consider pruning after a major harvest. If you don't prune back the vines will get thick & heavy and strain the trellis, become fungus prone and fruit will have trouble falling to ground for harvest.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 08:05:14 AM »
I have about 6 passion vines growing within a couple of feet of each other (in a line on a fence, one plant every 3 feet or so), and intermingled to the point that is nearly impossible to distinguish some varieties from one another. They seem to be growing well together, and provide extra privacy with the fence. Several of the vines have flowered and produced fruit, and they seem to be just getting started.

You should have room to cram in a few more. Stick with the ones you like and do the best for you.

Which ones do you find best for fresh eating?
I have Panama Red growing and planned on getting some extra once i put up a pergola.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »
Thank you everyone for your input.
if my plants don't freeze back (It's been fairly warm and we only drop below 32 for very short periods of time) I will trim hard.
Currently only my purple is mature enough to produce, but I expect my lilikoi to be ready in spring. We'll have to see about the lingularis variety. I don't know of anyone growing them up here.
-Kris

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 12:39:56 PM »
I have basically the exact same setup (two 16-ft cattle panels end-to-end, set up as a "fence").

I grow Passiflora incarnata and I have mine spaced very close....about 2 feet max apart.

Like others have said, they grow into each other. I do think they could probably benefit from a little more space, but at the same time they grow vigorously and produce plenty of fruit for me.

If i expand my collection i will plant maybe like 4 feet apart.

My only minor issue is that they reach the top of the fence and then kind of make a curtain going back down both sides. So the fruits can easily get caught in the tangle of vines and rot. I have thought about trying to make a "T" or "Y" out of my trellis by putting horizontal or slightly angled trellising across the top so the fruits could safely drop. But not sure if I'll bother.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 12:55:35 PM »
Good to know that members are successfully growing different varieties of passion fruit vines as close as 2'. I am planning to plant purple (Federick) and yellow varieties 2-3' apart above ground with open bottom rootbuilder II pots, and let them grow on 2'x70' privacy fence. 

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 01:03:47 PM »
Mine will be approximately 7-8 ft apart. I'm planting them in a bit from the edge so they can grow both ways. the only issue I have with my setup is it's only a couple feet from my main fence and my purple keeps trying to grow up in to my persimmon and the neighbours bay tree :)

If all goes well it will be really cool to see three different colours on this 'fence'
-Kris

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »
Good to know that members are successfully growing different varieties of passion fruit vines as close as 2'. I am planning to plant purple (Federick) and yellow varieties 2-3' apart above ground with open bottom rootbuilder II pots, and let them grow on 2'x70' privacy fence.

I should point out - one big difference with incarnata is that it dies back to the ground every winter. So my space concerns are only limited to what it can do in one summer.