Author Topic: Cherimoya or A. reticulata ??  (Read 3828 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Cherimoya or A. reticulata ??
« on: March 08, 2017, 02:26:02 PM »
A friend from southern Mexico send me these pics , since I am not in Cherimoya country I am not sure what they are ...
the area where these grow is very hot and dry , so maybe some type of reticulata ?

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya or A. reticulata ??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:40:01 PM »
They're both reticulata.
1) Check the leaves, those long pointy shiny leaves are a dead reticulata indicator, whereas A. cherimola has large round fuzzy leaves.
2) When you click on the pic, they're both labeled as "Annona reticulata - Guerrero Orange" and "Annona reticulata - Guerrero Yellow"  ;)
Dom

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 03:01:29 PM »
They look delicious.
Love reticulatas 

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 03:15:31 PM »
A friend from southern Mexico send me these pics , since I am not in Cherimoya country I am not sure what they are ...
the area where these grow is very hot and dry , so maybe some type of reticulata ?

They look like A. reticulata, and would agree with Dom that they are definitely not Cherimoya.  Beautiful fruit!  Did your friend mention what they taste like?
Bob

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
They look so seductive.

Moh'd

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 05:27:42 PM »
They're both reticulata.
1) Check the leaves, those long pointy shiny leaves are a dead reticulata indicator, whereas A. cherimola has large round fuzzy leaves.
2) When you click on the pic, they're both labeled as "Annona reticulata - Guerrero Orange" and "Annona reticulata - Guerrero Yellow"  ;)

I put those names on the pics till I'd be sure , just to find them back faster .  Now the trick will be getting a bunch of seeds of each , I really wanna grow these .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 05:37:33 PM »
They're both reticulata.

I put those names on the pics till I'd be sure , just to find them back faster .  Now the trick will be getting a bunch of seeds of each , I really wanna grow these .
Oh OK, that makes sense. I'd figured maybe your friend shared the pics through that image sharing service, and maybe you'd missed the caption. Best of luck getting seeds, those look really pretty.
Dom

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 07:00:32 PM »

You just convinced me to order some seeds.  ;D

The cherimoyas I have been growing are still alive but are not thriving 6 months out of the year. It's either too hot or too cold here. Likewise I know a farmer here who has what looks like a super bushy 8 foot tall cherimoya(that's what it looks like to me at least), it has never fruited, flowers shrivel and die before they bloom, and it almost never looks happy. Maybe this one will fare better in our hot, dry climate.

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 08:08:06 PM »

The cherimoyas I have been growing are still alive but are not thriving 6 months out of the year. It's either too hot or too cold here. Likewise I know a farmer here who has what looks like a super bushy 8 foot tall cherimoya(that's what it looks like to me at least), it has never fruited, flowers shrivel and die before they bloom, and it almost never looks happy. Maybe this one will fare better in our hot, dry climate.
Have you considered an Atemoya? I think it would take the heat in Palm Springs much better, but you may want to give it part shade in the afternoon.  They are grown in Israel so i would assume that they would do well in P.S. too.
Bob

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:53:04 PM »

Have you considered an Atemoya? I think it would take the heat in Palm Springs much better, but you may want to give it part shade in the afternoon.  They are grown in Israel so i would assume that they would do well in P.S. too.

Yes. I plan on putting an Atemoya at my renter's home but it's spot is currently being occupied by a struggling avocado. I'll probably yank it next spring unless it makes a dramatic comeback but it hasn't really grown much in 5-6 years. All the prime eastern real estate at my parent's ranch is already filled up and I have no space for anything where I live now. I don't mind subjecting seedlings to less than optimal conditions but if I'm paying for a tree, I want to give it the best opportunity possible.

So many trees I want, so lititle space....

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »
Several forum members should be selling seeds of A. reticulata over the next few months since it it starting to be fruiting season.  It would be interesting to try them in Palm Springs to see how they fair.  Just make sure you have them protected from those 125F temps in the summer and the occasional 25F-27F extremes in the winter. A friend of mine lives in Rancho Mirage and he has tried several fruit trees with many failures.  Mango and citrus to well, but completely shut down growth after July, just too hot!
Bob

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 09:22:22 AM »
Several forum members should be selling seeds of A. reticulata over the next few months since it it starting to be fruiting season.  It would be interesting to try them in Palm Springs to see how they fair.  Just make sure you have them protected from those 125F temps in the summer and the occasional 25F-27F extremes in the winter. A friend of mine lives in Rancho Mirage and he has tried several fruit trees with many failures.  Mango and citrus to well, but completely shut down growth after July, just too hot!

I picked up some A. reticulata seeds from carlos here. I have exactly the weather you are describing (123 F last june, upper 20s in the winter). But the custard apple seedlings did great all summer, even in the heat. Granted, they were seedlings, so I had them protected from direct sun, but they seemed to love all the crazy heat.
- Mark

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 01:56:03 AM »

Here is an annona at the ranch of a farmer I know. They never protect it in the winter or summer. And this is in Thermal which is normally 2-3 degrees hotter than Rancho Mirage in the summer and 2-3 degrees colder in the winter. The poor thing looks miserable most of the year. The never care for it other than running a drip line by it. I asked the rancher what is was, he said he wasn't sure. One of his workers put it there a few years back.

Any guesses?(I mean it's an annona right?  ;D)

not sure why website won't let me post image or they came out sideways through Tinypic.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »
So many trees I want, so lititle space....

That's what happens when we try to kiss all the pretty ladies.

Birdman

• San Pedro California USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 02:14:51 PM »
They're both reticulata.

Yeah Luc, these look very nice. I'd like to get some seeds of these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk