Author Topic: OK, we must have Ceratonia siliqua, AKA Carob, Locust bean, St. John's bread  (Read 1751 times)

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
Been interested in this plant, but never hear mention of it local, I am now ready to reach out for it! Its been too many years knowing of it..

I for 50 fresh seeds for sale on eBay, $3.49, and would rather check other forums.

Des anybody kjnow had w well they do in southern climates, such as SWFL? We are an arid climate, with not freeze, but it gets hot here, I wonder if this plant would fruit well. And assuming there s a reason I have not heard mentions of it locally...

I make a lot of super food, manna like preparations, and follow very limiting health promoting diets, not w I am seeing an essential need for this, if it grows here. Trying to kick caffeine, including chocolate. Or maybe know how to use it me re practically.

Asante friends.

-Fish
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 11:16:36 PM by TravelingFriend »

Birdman

• San Pedro California USA 10b
    • View Profile
It grows like a weed here in Los Angeles. Male and female trees. Stinks to high heaven on a hot day. Very drought tolerant. They get huge here.

TravelingFriend

• View Profile
What about them makes the stink, pods, leaves, flowers, or just stinky??

See you are on the west coast and that's also where some curiosity lies. I haven't heard of it in SE region of N. America

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
Road Trip! Woot!
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

Birdman

• View Profile
I don't see why they shouldn't grow in the SE. They take down to freezing when mature. Probably best to grow from seed.for root stock then graft or bud from known female producers with a male here or ther for a pollinator. Pretty tolerant of soils. There is a big one a couple hundred feet down the street that drops pods all over the sidewalk.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
The males stink. Like Bradford pears. named varieties are hard to find.

Here's something funny: workaway has a carob farm posting.
Shane

Birdman

• View Profile
It's the males? Good to know, and makes sense. They are pretty densely packed around here, just a general funk around them.

TravelingFriend

• View Profile
What a great plant to love. I already feel intimacy in the relation of it to locals! We ordered a 25 sees pack, works out if its ideal to graft to, and they are also dioecious..

Thanks friends!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk