Author Topic: Yuzu Seedlings  (Read 2931 times)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Yuzu Seedlings
« on: July 30, 2019, 11:36:00 AM »
How true will Yuzu grow from seeds? I have 8 seedlings that I just potted up to 4"pots. They are growing good but I was wondering which ones will be Yuzu.

My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Yuzu Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 03:17:27 PM »
I am going to say yhat yuzu comes true from seed. I have read differing opinions on it but....I have planted seed and I can not tell the difference......

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
Here's a little Yuzu seedling that managed to survive the Winter here unprotected.

It was almost killed back, lost all its leaves, but managed to leaf out again beginning at the very end of May.
(Olympia, WA, zone 8a, in a sunny spot surrounded by a large garden courtyard, colder Winter than normal, certainly more snow than usual)
I originally grew it from seed from a fruit I picked while somewhere else.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 04:29:53 PM »
How true will Yuzu grow from seeds?
This is just from memory but I believe I read 90 to 98 percent of the seeds from Yuzu are nucellar, which means that they will be genetic clones of the parent.

Even if not an exact genetic clone, since Yuzu is a sour citrus the offspring is likely to be nearly identical to the parent, presuming the flower was not pollinated by some other variety of citrus in the area.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 07:26:29 AM »
About 70% of true to type.

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 09:05:06 PM »

I am still searching for seedless yuzu. JF&E said that they will have it soon, but I doubt it.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 09:35:17 PM »
Who is jF&e?  I am interested in a seedless yuzu.  I didnt know it existed, the large number of seeds were a dealbreaker for me

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 10:06:53 PM »
the large number of seeds were a dealbreaker for me
That is because Yuzu is not used like an orange, nor even exactly like a lemon. The fruits of Yuzu are more valued for their peel, not as much what's inside.

To use a Yuzu, simply slice into six pieces, and pull out the seeds (not difficult because they are so big), and then whatever you use the Yuzu for, use both the peel and inner pulp together. There's no reason to peel the fruit or separate the peel from the inner pulp.
You'll find the peel of Yuzu is more tender and less bitter than that of a normal lemon.

If you thought Yuzu is only valuable for the juice inside the inner pulp, you're going to be disappointed because there's not much juice. In part that's because there's so many large sized seeds that take up much of the space inside.

Of course Yuzu has a unique flavor that cannot be exactly replicated by other citrus.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 09:46:18 AM »
Thanks for clarifying.  I thought they were juiced.  I still have never tried one! 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 11:28:31 AM »
Brian if you haven't tried one yet, you haven't missed much.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 10:50:57 PM »
I suspect that is the case, but every once in a while I am pleasantly surprised.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 11:03:40 PM »
Yuzu is good for cold and hot drink mix with honey.  Hot is very good when get a cold.

I am running out of space at home, can Yuzu grow in the pot?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 11:28:14 PM »
Any citrus tree can be grown in a pot. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:54:16 PM by Millet »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 11:40:01 PM »
Thx Millet, now I have one more of the many seeds need to looking for.

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 10:56:24 AM »
Brian if you haven't tried one yet, you haven't missed much.

Millions of people in the world love Yuzu taste and in Europe it becomes more and more an issue for haut cuisine aswell.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
Not a whole lot of folks care for the taste of yuzu. I must admit that yuzu eaten out of hand is not pleasant. As a cooking ingredient I relish it.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 05:46:35 PM »
I have never cooked with Yuzu, so I cannot judge the taste in cooked dishes.  I have tasted Yuzu direct from the fruit, and it is terrible (at least to me).

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »
I have never cooked with Yuzu, so I cannot judge the taste in cooked dishes.  I have tasted Yuzu direct from the fruit, and it is terrible (at least to me).
Yuzu is not a fruit for out of hand eating.

That being said, I've picked Yuzu directly off the tree, to try eating the fruits, and the flavor was kind of good, not bad. I would definitely forage on the fruits in a survival situation, or a little bit on a nature trail hike.
I could even nibble on the peel a little bit and enjoy it, the peel was sort of borderline edible (in smaller amounts).
The fruits I picked were fresh off the tree and very ripe, so maybe that had something to do with it.

The segments inside were a bit dry, and extremely seedy, and the flavor is sour and not sweet, but other than that the flavor is good.

I can tell you the flavor is much better than Chinotto sour orange.
Certainly the flavor of a Yuzu fruit is nothing like the awful flavor of trifoliate hybrids.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »
My bottom line with yuzu is: There are so many citrus fruits that are better.....even when cooking.....give me a good lime instead of yuzu.

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 07:34:53 AM »
Millet, Bomand, your opinion. You are US-Americans. That obviously makes a difference. And you don't know much About Japan or Europe, I guess. Have a look at https://nielsrodin.com/?lang=en

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 08:33:24 AM »
Yes I am a U. S. American and I like American citrus, but having studied citrus/cuisine from other countries I admire their innovative use of citrus. That said, I still prefer American ingenuity when it comes to cusine/citrus growing.  I am a long time citrus breeder/grower and I have culled the recipies (from many countries) that I do not enjoy. I have also culled the citrus that I do not enjoy. I am sure you are the same way. I think personal taste and culture make us choose to be what we are and what we like. Opinions are cultured and grown through trial and error. 

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 09:15:12 AM »
I do not wish to banter about subjective opinions. You will not change mine and it is not my intent to change yours. This is a international discussion board and you and I have had our discussion. Good luck with your citrus. I wish you well.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »
Millet, Bomand, your opinion. You are US-Americans. That obviously makes a difference. And you don't know much About Japan or Europe, I guess. Have a look at https://nielsrodin.com/?lang=en

Culinary tastes and preferences can and do change over time. Many of my favorite dishes were never tasted by my grandparents. Part of the experience can be enhanced by having the food prepared by someone familiar with and knowledgeable about the ingredients. I grew up eating foods I never eat today, due to overexposure and now strongly dislike them. I love some of the local foods and dislike others.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:43:07 PM by kumin »