Author Topic: Starfruit thinning?  (Read 903 times)

dmwong93

• Father Fruit
    • USA, Southern CA, Zone 10b, E. Anaheim
    • View Profile
Starfruit thinning?
« on: August 26, 2018, 03:23:45 AM »
Hi,

This will be my Kari starfruit tree first time fruiting with minimum of 100+ fruit. I am thinking it'll be best to thin out some of the fruit allowing others to grow to their potential and reduce stress onto tree. What are you opinions? Tree is about 5' and diameter of about 6/8 - 7/8''

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Starfruit thinning?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 07:48:53 AM »
Very near to me Brooks Tropicals has over 40 acres of Kari Star Fruit in 10 acre plots so I've had a while to see how these are grown commercially. They are surrounded by windbreaking shade cloth to help keep the fruit avoid getting knocked off. They don't thin the fruit, have a good irrigation system and do regular foliar feeding with a huge mist blower pulled behind a tractor. They prune heavily in a sequence across the field to help stagger the harvest. Here is an aerial view I'll try to take some pics the trees should be loaded right now.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:13:51 AM »
They are self-thinning.  Will drop a lot of fruit on their own, but you'll still end up with a lot.
John

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 09:23:49 AM »
Sri Kembangan.  A great carambola.  Large, juicy, flavorful, very orange-colored fruit.
John