Author Topic: Top working Eugenias: Pitomba and Surinam cherry  (Read 620 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Top working Eugenias: Pitomba and Surinam cherry
« on: August 02, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
I have two pitombas and maybe 6 Suriname cherries and a jambolan that has never fruited. I have found that I don't like the resin flavor in in either of the first two and I am tired of waiting for the third. I haven't been able to get my hands on the "Zill's" to see if I like them but I know I really like Cherry of the Rio grande and Grumichama. What's the possibility of top working these with more desirable? Eugenias? I have already read that Jaboticaba is not a posibility but what about Cherry of the Rio grande on pitomba or Suriname cherry root stock?

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Top working Eugenias: Pitomba and Surinam cherry
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 01:07:01 PM »
I have successfully grafted "Garnet" Eugenia Calycinas onto Cherry of the Rio Grand seedlings.... Very easy!
I have also had some luck with "Black Star" onto it's own seedlings ... "Zill Dark" onto "Black Star" seedlings...and "Crimson Tides" onto "Black Star" seedlings.
Suriname Cherry is definitely the more difficult of the 2 species... for me at least! Very low percentages are successful.
I have dozens of CORG plants... so I may try to graft Suriname onto them as a challenge.

Kevin Jones