Author Topic: Persimmon Taproot question  (Read 674 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Persimmon Taproot question
« on: August 01, 2020, 06:05:11 PM »
I see where someone has a 15 gallon Persimmon tree for sale. Don't they have a Tap Root and wouldn't it be coiled around the bottom of the pot? So what is the best procedure to handle that.  Cut the taproot or try to uncoil the taproot.Would getting a smaller gallon tree have the best outcome.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:13:36 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Persimmon Taproot question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 08:46:36 PM »
That depends if they started it from seed or bought the tree from a nursery.

Once a tree has been "containerized" it's best to trim the coiled taproot and let fibrous feeder roots form that can help to anchor the tree. If you're in an area where hurricanes occur, it's a good idea to try to root graft, so the tree has a natural taproot.

To root graft, you plan a seed near a surface root, then graft the seedling to the surface root.

With this method you can add a taproot(s) to a containerized tree planted in the ground.

Generally speaking a smaller tree tends to do better in the long run if it has not been containerized, but the best method of all is to plant a seed in place, and graft it when large enough. Easy enough to do with a potted plant by approach grafting.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Persimmon Taproot question
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 10:05:10 AM »
Thank you for your in-depth answer :) I was just curious i saw where natural farms nursery had 15 gallon Persimmon trees. This time last year i got a 7 gallon from Green Jungle Nursery. I was able to uncoil the taproots and dig a shallow trench out seven feet to one side to bury it. Ideally I would have preferred to bury it a little deeper but I did it in the Heat of the day.  My soil is a silty loom clay mix which is not a easily dig. I am wondering if a 15 gallon tree's taproot would be so rigid that you probably wouldn't be able to uncoil it. If you cut taproot by 50% would that kill the tree? Be beneficial or do more harm than good?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:29:02 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk