Author Topic: I think this longan is a goner, what do you think?  (Read 1720 times)

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
I think this longan is a goner, what do you think?
« on: May 24, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »
The bark on this longan is cracking.  It's at my parents house in Whittier, CA (So. Cal, LA area).  It's also blooming.  I suspect it's a last ditch effort to  propagate and will soon die afterwards. 

It's a tree from Memosa that we planted for them about 2 years ago. 

Any thoughts?  Over watered?  I suspect my parents water it everyday. 

As an aside, the longan I have in Oklahoma is thriving even after the horses ate down to the ground. 

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: I think this longan is a goner, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 01:46:33 PM »
The tree looks good on the branches. What variety longan is it ?
If you have another tree, you might want to cut some scion wood and graft it before it gets worse.

It may survive, my longans never show this type of issue so I couldn't tell you what is going on with yours.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 02:53:49 PM »
everyday water is too much yes.

its not dead though, and the flowering is normal since the tree is probably an air layer.  The plant should be fine.

Just paint the cracked bark and or put some sort of shade over the damaged bark.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 02:56:05 PM »
probably need to ditch the duct tape and zip tie also.  If it needs staking put the stakes away from the tree and use green tree tape. 
Brad Spaugh

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 10:03:26 AM »
I'm not in Calif now but my mom tells me the tree is still doing well.  It has about 50 fruit on it.  When do longans ripen in the LA area? 

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 03:35:01 PM »
This young tree needs some shade from the brutal sun, and it will be just fine. Once it is larger the selected spot is a perfect for a 15 feet longan tree.

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 03:57:05 PM »
I just bought a Longon tree from Mimosa yesterday :D.  Also, a lot of the grafted trees they sell there have cracks in the bark. I guess it is normal.  My sister bought a longon tree from them, like 6 yrs ago.  It shows no sign of growth, it fruits, then drops, bark looks dead here and there.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 06:35:24 PM »
I just bought a Longon tree from Mimosa yesterday :D.  Also, a lot of the grafted trees they sell there have cracks in the bark. I guess it is normal.  My sister bought a longon tree from them, like 6 yrs ago.  It shows no sign of growth, it fruits, then drops, bark looks dead here and there.

not enough nutrient in soil and lack water is the reason. Could also in a too hot sun place that needs some shade for a small tree.

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 05:11:55 PM »
So back at my parents house.  The tree has done great.  My mom said there was a ton of fruit last season and she was going to wait one more day to pick them.  The next day they were all gone.  She said she going to put some fence or netting around it this year. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk