Author Topic: anyone growing Myrciaria dubia? camu camu  (Read 19889 times)

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
Re: anyone growing Myrciaria dubia? camu camu
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »
Hi, maybe I will have camu camu seeds in some weeks.

About the " air conditioning integrated condensation (rain) barrel", a great idea, I would do it in the summer, but

does it has some toxics? or is it 100% clean?

It should be clean.

I get more than enough water for my plants by collecting rainwater... so that's another way to go
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »
I lost mine due to wrong spot. WATER WATER WATER. They experience prolonged flooding in their native Amazonia. Extremely high Vit-C content and a beaut plant to look at.
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 05:16:23 PM »
Some might be surprised to learn that camu camu can form larger trees 7m, much taller than the usual shrubby form.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:22:45 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »
how are all the Camu Camus doing out there?

I have a pair that I kept...they were looking chlorotic, so they were drenched with chelated Fe...and fertilized slightly....now theyre greening up nicely....about 3-3.5ft tall in a 3 gal pot.  I'm actually excited about finally fruiting these...im surprised nobody really has any fruiting in the USA.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »
how are all the Camu Camus doing out there?

I have a pair that I kept...they were looking chlorotic, so they were drenched with chelated Fe...and fertilized slightly....now theyre greening up nicely....about 3-3.5ft tall in a 3 gal pot.  I'm actually excited about finally fruiting these...im surprised nobody really has any fruiting in the USA.

Is Hawaii part of the USA? ::) Then yes they are fruiting in USA. My plants aren't fruiting yet but there are trees at our local experimental station.
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 01:57:00 AM »
my five seedling M. dubia are hanging on.

and I hate to admit it, but this new synthetic drench I have is working wonders on my plants already.

It must be very strong..and helpful for lowering ph.  After reading the bottle of product I'm using, I realized its not only a chelated Fe and Mn drench, but it also has sulfur that lowers ph considerably.

How old are the camu camu in this picture

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 02:01:25 AM »
I have a few young ones as well about the same size as those in the pictures. They are the fastest growing of all the species and varieties I have planted in the last few months.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 02:05:17 AM »
When doing some research on Camu-Camu I ran into the commercial site describing what they were doing.  It seems like the Camu-Camu seedlings may actually be fully submerged for four months.  Here's the link:

http://www.amazonherb.com/Zamu_Growing_Camu.aspx

Adam, I mentioned to you the air conditioning integrated condensation (rain) barrel.  I get about 5 to 10 gallons of clean water every day my A/C runs here in Florida.  I'm thinking you could use this system to keep the plant flooded for the summer.  Maybe add some aquarium or pond fertilizer each month.

I have a pot with no drainage and i filled it with regular sand/dirt from outside and left it out in the sun for a few months with camu camu seeds in it, The sand got really algae like, and swampy, About 4-6 months after planting the seeds they all started popping up, but they started to cook in full sun, so ive got them in mostly sun with shade in the afternoon. Doing Great. Also have one in partial-full shade and is growing at the same pace.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 02:14:30 AM »
Young jabs of all types don't like full sun, especially in summer.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 06:39:58 AM »
I have a teeny weeny precoce in full sun that's growing nicely.
I'll post pics of what I believe is a Camu Camu I have here, for ID. It's about 4ft tall. Can loose lots of leaves if not watered every second day, even with a water retainer under the pot. Hoping for fruit soon.
They are around locally. They were featured in a local gardening magazine a few years back, but they are hard to find.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 10:26:37 AM »
only about 3-5 month old.

they're only about 3 ft tall now.

they're hard to keep green, even with neutral ph well water, they turn yellow.  I've been drenching them regularly with chelated Fe, and it's been their saving grace.
my five seedling M. dubia are hanging on.

and I hate to admit it, but this new synthetic drench I have is working wonders on my plants already.

It must be very strong..and helpful for lowering ph.  After reading the bottle of product I'm using, I realized its not only a chelated Fe and Mn drench, but it also has sulfur that lowers ph considerably.

How old are the camu camu in this picture
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »
I have few plants of camu camu which germinated in july. After 2 months they became chlorotic and lot of them die. Then I read here advice to spray them with chelated iron and they started turn green. Now I use ketapang water as a substitute for iron complex. Seems it can help to recover the plants.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2015, 12:49:48 AM »
I sprouted some seeds back in 2012, and managed to keep 2 of them alive, despite having bouts of chlorosis. (pics are posted earlier in this thread)

they really struggled for the first year, and after I got them over the hump, they picked up the pace the 2nd year.

now that they're into the 3rd year, they have really grown fast...they are in 7 gal pots, but one of the trees is almost 9ft tall...the other is closer to 6ft.

I'm going to need to prune the tallest one soon!

the bark is starting to peel nicely on both of them, this is always exciting to see when you are growing Myrciaria/Plinia.

If they flower, I will be sure to post pics!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2015, 10:47:13 PM »
Yea mine struggled a bit and are a lil over 2 years, about 3 feet tall. Its good to know they start taking off at this point, im excited to try some fresh camu camu hopefully in the next couple years. My new seedlings that germinated 4 months ago I put in a potting mix of 70% Fox Farm happy frog soil and 30% Fox Farm ocean forest and i added a bunch of mycogrow, Man are they taking off, 4 months old and over 10 inches and growing at least an inch every week if not every couple days. So i think i might get fruit from them faster than my older ones in a custom mushroom peat swamp mix i rigged up which is actually working great, deep green leaves and no deficiencies.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
check out this seedling about 5 months old, already a foot tall and rapidly taking off

heres my one over 2 years old about 3 feet tall, didnt get as much care as i was trying to wildcraft it, in straight swamp muck and went through 2 winters with no protection, been in full sun and full shade but now in 50/50. how else do you know what it can take, thats why it good to have multiples so you can put one to the extremes, only way to really know.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 10:16:57 PM »
Looking good!

Those camu camu are happy...I bet the will really take off next year. 

One of mine went crazy and pushed out 4ft of growth this year, but it's sibling (from the same batch of seeds) only put on a couple feet...

I suppose they are highly variable in terms of growth habit.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2015, 07:04:53 AM »
My ones went bezerk and I gave them away and for that matter the oblongatas I had.When I rationalized the sourest went first.