Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940324 times)

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »
The Photos are both from a Physical Graffiti and the other one that did the same thing is a David Bowie.

Sfitzy321

• USA, Florida, Deltona,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 25, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »
So I'm new to the forum, but every time I google dragonfruit this thread pops up. I just started 3 dragon fruit cacti from cuttings, and I'm pretty excited. I have no idea what cultivar they are other than white, red, and a purple fruit. One if them decided to bless me with a shoot. I thought I'd have to wait to stake the plant (not sure why I had the idea) and the dang thing has shot out almost straight sideways! It grew so fast! Is it too late to stake that one? Or is it ok to bend it? Also, the shoot is producing a clear liquid from the little segments. I tried to get a photo, it looks pretty good on my iPhone. Has anyone else's done this? It is slightly sticky, of course I had to taste it, and it's sweet. Hmmm. Google has no answer for that.
Also the other 2 haven't done anything but send down roots and one made 3 spines on a little knob. I sat them outside in a covered spot thinking maybe it's too cold in my house for those type to shoot out. I'd like to stick them all outside in the sun, but it's been pouring rain off and on for days. Any advise would be awesome. I just want to make sure I'm not killing the little guys. I'm not sure if the moisture in the air outside is enough, or if they should still be watered. Again they are in a covered spot so no direct rain.  Thanks in advance.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 25, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »
No problem, they are easy to train, when it gets a bit longer, you can tie it up in the direction you want, the "nodes" have some flexibility.

Also,  Welcome to the forum. :)
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 25, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »
So I'm new to the forum, but every time I google dragonfruit this thread pops up. I just started 3 dragon fruit cacti from cuttings, and I'm pretty excited. I have no idea what cultivar they are other than white, red, and a purple fruit. One if them decided to bless me with a shoot. I thought I'd have to wait to stake the plant (not sure why I had the idea) and the dang thing has shot out almost straight sideways! It grew so fast! Is it too late to stake that one? Or is it ok to bend it? Also, the shoot is producing a clear liquid from the little segments. I tried to get a photo, it looks pretty good on my iPhone. Has anyone else's done this? It is slightly sticky, of course I had to taste it, and it's sweet. Hmmm. Google has no answer for that.
Also the other 2 haven't done anything but send down roots and one made 3 spines on a little knob. I sat them outside in a covered spot thinking maybe it's too cold in my house for those type to shoot out. I'd like to stick them all outside in the sun, but it's been pouring rain off and on for days. Any advise would be awesome. I just want to make sure I'm not killing the little guys. I'm not sure if the moisture in the air outside is enough, or if they should still be watered. Again they are in a covered spot so no direct rain.  Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum :)

No, it's not to late to stake it. Actually that's a little to small to stake yet. Let it grow a bit longer, then stake it or since they have already rooted, you can just make a large stake now. Then as they grow branches, you can train them to climb up the large stake. The will eventually grow aerial roots(epiphyllum like orchids) and climb the stake by them self as they grow older. You'll only really need to help tie the long branches to the main stake for support, but like I mention, it will eventually grow aerial roots to help it climb by it self. And don't worry, in your climate, where it's almost like it's natural environment(hot and humid), once it start growing, it will grow really fast. Now, would be a good time to build a trellis or stake in a good location in ground or large container. You can use almost any large container from large nursery pots, large square Rubbermaid totes, 18 gallon rope buckets and even half wine barrel or half 55 gallon plastic drums. I don't think rain will be an issue, unless rot start sets in, their natural environment is in rain forest from south America growing in trees. So they never really get any water except for the moisture from the humid air and when it rains. So, if their outside and it rains, don't need to water them, only if the soil gets dry. However, these are not like regular desert cactus, and they do like more water than desert cacti. So water, when it's starting to get dry , but in rain storm, don't water, because root rot can set in and another issue, you Floridians have in the humid ground is nematodes, so maybe in large pots, you can better prevent nematodes.

Good luck and would love to see your set up.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »
My mystery dragon fruit plant, opened its single flower night before last.   at 11Pm. I whipped out my 28ft extension ladder, and went up onto the second story roof. to get these shots.

The cutting for this was marked "Makisupa" but not sure.  first flowers were more yellowish, but these look like normal Pitaya flowers. 

I did my best to manually pollinate this single flower, no other Pitaya plants flowering at the moment, so hopefully it takes.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 28, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »
William,
They do look just like normal DF flowers. Maybe, it was just that first single flower, that was a different shade of color. And what's that protruding little yellow thingy?, in the bottom right of the open flower?

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2013, 10:48:28 PM »
William,
They do look just like normal DF flowers. Maybe, it was just that first single flower, that was a different shade of color. And what's that protruding little yellow thingy?, in the bottom right of the open flower?

That is just the pistil, i used a dry paper towel, to gather some pollen, then rubbed it all over the pistil, hope that gets it pollinated, I just found out that my other dragon fruit plant which I have on the top of the building I work in,  opened 3 flowers at once last night,  wish I had my camera.   I was hoping those would open first so I could collect the pollen to use it on the one in the photos above, but they were a few days off.   

the ones on the roof of the office building have produced fruit on their own before. 
William

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »
Interesting, I didn't know what that was called. Have only seen most online pictures, but don't remember seeing the pistil. Then again, I've never paid close enough attention to the whole flower's pictures online before ::)

Why don't you grow it on a T-stake tree style instead for easier pollinating? Having it climb the side of your house, would be quite a work, just for pollinating a few flowers on the top of the building. I grow mine in 18 gallon Rubbermaid plastic totes and some in 15-20 gallon nursery pots with a stake in the middle. An alternative to using the pricier  nursery pots is to go with the plastic totes or a bit sturdier, is the 18 gallon rope buckets or the 55 gallon plastic drum(cut 1/2) and half wine.

note: they also produce more flowers on hanging branches or cut tip branches

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »
I've had two cacti in my yard for a few years.  One from Puerto Rico; the other a gift from a friend in Georgia.  Don't know much about them, other than my wfe referring to them as putas, alleging to the flowers only coming out at night.  One has been mostly dormant, but the other has produced numerous flowers each summer, putting on quite a show with her white, bright, exotic looking blooms. 
Today I noticed this red bulb on the active plant, and if I didn't know any better I would say that's a dragon fruit.  :o  For those who know about these things, what's growing in my yard?  If it is a dragon fruit, what do I do now?  Sit back and wait for it to ripen?  Feed the plant?  How do I encourage more fruiting?

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2013, 06:25:24 PM »
It's a fruit all right, but not a dragon fruit/pitiya. Notice your cacti's leaves are flat and doesn't have a thick triangle shape leaf/stem. If, the flowers only blooms at night, it's most likely a "queen of the night/Dutchman's pipe"(Epiphyllum oxypetalum) But, on closer look the leaves, look different, yours kinda have serrated edges, my mom's plant, have smooth edges. It's probably some other kind of orchid cactus in the epiphyllum(most of these are hybrids and flower in the daytime or at dusk/dawn, but some will flower at night too like the E. oxypetalum) genus/family? All will produce fruit, if the flowers gets pollinated, either by hand or naturally by pollinators. As far as I understand, is that all cacti/us's fruits are edible. Though some are not very tasty, very bland and watery flavors. Like your orchid cactus fruit there. You can try it, to see if you like the flavor, though, I bet it's not very sweet or flavorful.

Since you're in Fl, lots of the members over there could help you out with a few cuttings from their DF. Ask around on the forum in this thread and for a quicker response ask in the wanted/buy/sell section, but if you can't locate some locally, I can ship you a cutting or two for postage fees.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »
Carbo

I have V-9,Haley comet,  American beauty and 2 Cambodian vnk let me know

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2013, 09:22:04 PM »
@Thao

I have em growing up the wall, for lack of room. plus it was kind of an experiment to see how well they held on.

I have a few other in containers, and a couple at work, I was just telling the wife I need to get these organized, I have many started spread out all over the plave in nooks and crannies.

@Carbo

I was laughing over here when I read the part of "Putas" and red bulbs. .
William

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 29, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »
@Thao

I have a few other in containers, and a couple at work, I was just telling the wife I need to get these organized, I have many started spread out all over the plave in nooks and crannies.

Looks like they held on and is spreading everywhere.
@Carbo

I was laughing over here when I read the part of "Putas" and red bulbs. .

Willam,
Your experiment is a success and now they are climbing all over your house.

Thanks for the good laugh. I didn't catch that part, the first time I read Carbo's post. That made my night ;D

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
Thank you all for the info and offers to share.  Much appreciated!

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
My biggest dragonfruit vine is Zamorano and despite my pollination attempts, it is not setting any fruit. I haven't been able to cross-pollinate Zamorano because my other varieties are much smaller and they haven't flowered much yet. What are the best varieties for self-pollinating?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »
Natural Mystic is one that is self pollinating.  It is red/red and the flavor reminds me a little of watermelon.  Vietnamese Jaina also is self polinating and sweet.
Brandon

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2013, 09:17:06 PM »
Natural Mystic is one that is self pollinating.  It is red/red and the flavor reminds me a little of watermelon.  Vietnamese Jaina also is self polinating and sweet.

I have never heard of these varieties. Who sells them and are there any drawbacks (lack of vigor, etc)?

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2013, 11:04:35 PM »
I believe, most magenta, red and red hybrids and some white varieties, are self pollinating. Some I know includes: Haley's comet, purple haze, physical graffiti, natural mystic, red Jaina, Zamorano, American beauty, David bowie, Viet giant and some others, I didn't mention. 

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »

I have never heard of these varieties. Who sells them and are there any drawbacks (lack of vigor, etc)?

I think I got mine from Bender's Grove. Pine Island and others carry these.  I still have Natural Mystic in the 3G pot I bought it in, 2+ years now.  It is pretty vigorous, attempting to climb over a 6 ft fence, and flowers often for its size.  I just grabbed a fruit and it has three fruit on it.   I bought wood to build a structure for all my DFs but I have not found the motivation yet.

I believe, most magenta, red and red hybrids and some white varieties, are self pollinating. Some I know includes: Haley's comet, purple haze, physical graffiti, natural mystic, red Jaina, Zamorano, American beauty, David bowie, Viet giant and some others, I didn't mention. 

The Haley's Comet and Physical Graffiti that I have are not self pollinating.  Purple haze may be based on reports from others but I have had flowers not set.   
Brandon

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2013, 06:04:34 PM »

I think I got mine from Bender's Grove. Pine Island and others carry these.  I still have Natural Mystic in the 3G pot I bought it in, 2+ years now.  It is pretty vigorous, attempting to climb over a 6 ft fence, and flowers often for its size.  I just grabbed a fruit and it has three fruit on it.   I bought wood to build a structure for all my DFs but I have not found the motivation yet.

The Haley's Comet and Physical Graffiti that I have are not self pollinating.  Purple haze may be based on reports from others but I have had flowers not set.   

I might be confuse, maybe it's self fertile and not self pollinating? Does self fertile mean, it can be pollinated by it's own flower's pollen from another flower on the same plant and self pollinating, means it can set fruits on it's own, w/o any pollinator of sorts present?

I do have PG, PH, AB, guyute, Thai Red, Arizona purple, Phoenix red and Rodger's white, those are said to be self fertile. So, I hope they will set some fruits in the comings years.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
In my experience, Haley's Comet and Physical Graffiti require the pollen of another DF variety to set fruit.  Maybe what I have was mislabeled.  Self-infertility is easily overcome by having multiple varieties and refrigerating pollen, which would stay good around 5 days.  Last year, I harvested around 60+ fruit from a single large Haley's Comet.  If it flowered and I did not have pollen, it would flower again soon after.  It is recommended that, when possible, varieties should be cross-pollenated to get larger fruit.  Hand pollenating will also result in a very high rate of fruit set. Almost all the flowers that I hand pollenated set fruit. 
Brandon

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »
My biggest dragonfruit vine is Zamorano and despite my pollination attempts, it is not setting any fruit. I haven't been able to cross-pollinate Zamorano because my other varieties are much smaller and they haven't flowered much yet. What are the best varieties for self-pollinating?

If I remember correctly I think it was  Pepe that told me he had low production problems with Zamorano,  I have one, but its not that big yet.  this one is the easiest to identify, the thorn nodules are closer spaced and longer, on the Zamorano.   my guess here is that this variety probably does better with a pollinator of another variety. 
William

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2013, 02:24:04 PM »
Ive been looking for cuttings
i have a Physical Graffiti (small cutting) , but we had LOTS of rain here and its not looking to good
I am really interested in the yellow, but would appreciate just about any kind
I have lots of different seeds, and some other stuff for trade.

small list
Seeds I have
    Moringa Olifera seeds and seedling
    several hot and bell pepper seeds
    Papaya
    Guava (soon)
    Mulberry
    Wormwood
    Sweet wormwood
    Chicle Zapote
    Jujube
    sapote
    Syrian Rue
    Intelligence tree - Celastrus paniculatus

Plants I have to trade:

trees i can take cuttings from...
    Satsuma cutting
    Guava Cutting
    Mulberry cutting
    dwarf POM
    Aloe Vera
    Jujube
    should have cuttings in a couple of months
    of these
    Calea (dream herb)
    justicia pectoralis var. stenophylla
    Korth
    papaya seedling
    lychee seedling

Brad

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »
I love this thread, besides the good commentary and the beautiful dragon fruit pictures, it helps me in my quest to find yearly-reliable and productive, very-sweet, large-sized, dragon fruit variety(ies) of excellent quality(ies).
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2013, 10:22:14 PM »
My mystery dragon fruit plant, opened its single flower night before last.   at 11Pm. I whipped out my 28ft extension ladder, and went up onto the second story roof. to get these shots.

The cutting for this was marked "Makisupa" but not sure.  first flowers were more yellowish, but these look like normal Pitaya flowers. 

I did my best to manually pollinate this single flower, no other Pitaya plants flowering at the moment, so hopefully it takes.

UPDATE:

Flower bud just dropped off today just like the previous 3 it has put out,  looks like this variety whatever it is, needs a separate pollinator. :(  I'm not too happy.   may give it another chance, but if continues to fail, I will yank it out, and put in another variety. I have a few more that would be happy to take its place.
William