Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528730 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #1175 on: January 05, 2019, 09:50:22 AM »
I use Pristine on my mangoes as well, in a rotation with a couple of others. It's on the EPA's "Reduced Risk" list. Good stuff.
Jeff  :-)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: January 07, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »
Hey guys, this mango tree was already in place when I bought my house, it was one of three mango trees.however, this tree has always had issues.  We cut it way back to just its main trunk a while ago and new growth is happening. However the new growth does not look very good. It was getting attacked by aphids so I was spraying it with neem oil. That seemed to take care of that issue. But the leaves are still deformed and are very splotchy. I have sprayed it twice with copper and that didn’t seem to help much, if at all. I thought maybe it was a nutritional issue so I gave it some fertilizer a couple months ago and epsom salt. No change so far... on some parts the new growth looks nice but then quickly turns splotchy. In other spots the new growth is all deformed from the start.. what do you guys think it is?

Check with magnification for thrips or other tiny pests, or powdery mildew.

This pic you can see the leaves are normal shaped but are starting to get splotchy.

Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:05 PM »
FLMikey,  the Calcium-Magnesium-Boron product is probably good.  The Bonide product is labeled for avocados, but not mangos.  The sprayer should work for a year or so, until the trees get bigger.

Thanks for your help Har!  I have some more questions please.

I'll choose Southern AG's Copper Fungicide instead as the label indicates it's for Mango use (https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/04/0428f02d-3863-44a4-957b-692ac31a4366.pdf)

Southern Ag Liquid Copper does not contain Copper Soap.  I do not advocate mixing other Copper compounds with elemental Sulfur.

In this thread, (http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=13852.0), you mention wettable Sulfur can be added to the Copper.  I was thinking of using this Hi Yield wettable sulfur (https://www.groworganic.com/hiyield-wettable-sulfur-4-lb.html).  Would I mix the up the Copper and Sulfur together, and when the pannicle is 2 inches spray the mixed solution on the whole tree (leaves & pannicle)?  I would continue this process until flowers are present, at which point, I would spray the flowers with the GrowScripts Calcium/Magnesium/Boron spray once and stop with the Copper & Sulfur?  The next phase would be waiting for the little green fruits to set, then I continue spraying the Copper and Sulfur mix monthly until harvest. 

Apologies for the beginner questions - but have never implemented a spraying regimen, and trying maximize the number of mango's from my few trees.  Thanks!!
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: January 07, 2019, 11:01:20 PM »
Copper Soap can be mixed with elemental Sulfur,
and,
Cuprous Oxide ("red copper") can be mixed with elemental Sulfur.  (These are active ingredients, not brand names.) 

Most other Copper compounds become dangerous to the plants if mixed with elemental Sulfur, or with any other seriously acidic mix.

Unfortunately "liquid copper" is used for more than one copper compound, so you need to read the fine print.
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: January 11, 2019, 09:01:51 AM »
Copper Soap can be mixed with elemental Sulfur,
and,
Cuprous Oxide ("red copper") can be mixed with elemental Sulfur.  (These are active ingredients, not brand names.) 

Most other Copper compounds become dangerous to the plants if mixed with elemental Sulfur, or with any other seriously acidic mix.

Unfortunately "liquid copper" is used for more than one copper compound, so you need to read the fine print.

Thanks again for the really helpful info Har!  I linked to this product previously https://www.bonide.com/assets/Products/Labels/l811.pdf as it has Copper Octanoate (Copper Soap) as the active ingredient.  The label doesn't say it's for use on mango's but does say it's for use on Stone Fruit, and mango is a stonefruit.  Do you think it's safe to mix with the Hi Yield Wettable Sulfur (https://www.groworganic.com/hiyield-wettable-sulfur-4-lb.html)?  Or do I just stick with Bonide product if you deem it's safe?

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: January 11, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »
I'm thinking of using an Organic Spraying regimen rotation (never done so previously) and looking for feedback to treat potentially Powdery Mildew & Anthracnose.  I'm contemplating rotating the following 3 products on a 2 week cycle -
1)  Organocide Plant Doctor Systemic Fungicide (http://www.yourplantdoctor.com/organocide-plant-doctor-systemic-fungicide/)
2)  Bonide Copper Fungicide Concentrate (https://www.bonide.com/products/garden-naturals/view/811/copper-fungicide-conc)
3)  Serenade Garden Disease Control Concentrate (https://www.bioadvanced.com/products/rose-flower-care/serenade-garden)

From what I found all 3 should be ok for Mango.  Organocide instructions explicitly state for mango use.  Bonide label states it's for stone fruit (mango is a stone fruit).  Serenade active ingredient is Bacillus Subtillus QST 713 and 1 paper indicates it's effective preventing mango disease (http://agris.fao.org/openagris/search.do?recordID=PH2007000479)

Does this sound like a good regimen to maximize mango yield?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: January 11, 2019, 10:26:55 PM »
Other than the "stone fruit" definition, the rest looks good.  Stone Fruits are a sub-category of the Rose Family: Peaches, Plums, Apricots, Almonds, and per some botanists, Jujubes.

You aren't alone in trying to expand the definition to include any big seed--- I saw an actual product label claiming that Avocados are stone fruits.
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: January 11, 2019, 11:36:36 PM »
Is there a different Copper product you'd recommend over the Bonide one?  I'm thinking about this Monterey Liqui-Cop instead of the Bonide (http://www.montereylawngarden.com/product_information.aspx?242000p=38d342ec-490d-4a2b-8680-a5c80e030d41&240000p=0fcd062e-3250-4d03-9e74-3be36cab8eb4), and the label says approved for mango's, but it's using a Copper diammonia diacetate complex.  Label says to apply it in 30 day intervals which would work for me considering I'll be alternating with the other fungicides (should be around 40 days between applications for me). 

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: January 12, 2019, 07:30:03 AM »
Is there a different Copper product you'd recommend over the Bonide one?

I use both Phyton 35 and Magnabon, both excellent systemic coppers - copper sulfate pentahydrate.  OMRI certified for those that roll that way.  Control is unreal.  https://www.magnabon.com/research/cs-2005-disease-control/
https://www.magnabon.com/product/magna-bon-cs-2005/

Pristine + Captan is hard to beat.  Here's a field trial on apples using all kinds of fungicides.  https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs.cornell.edu/dist/d/3767/files/2013/11/2013-HVL-Field-trial-data-compr-203ay9s.pdf

Like all fruit/grapes you need to focus your sprays come the first opening of the flowers, mid blooming, late blooming and then whenever you have disease pressures once the fruit sets.  Take grapes for example - if I don't time my sprays beginning with blooming and then the last (main) application being just before the clusters "close" (grapes expand such that the clusters get tight), I'll be shit outta luck come harvest.  Usually doesn't happen.  ;D

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: January 12, 2019, 01:09:40 PM »
Thanks for your input Mark!  I was interested in Pristine, but it's way too expensive for me.  I only have 3 trees, so it's hard to justify $400 for 7 lbs.  Even Phyton 35 is expensive for me (that's about $90 for 1 liter).  I was even considering Camelot O,and Nordox, but those are expensive too.  I guess the good stuff is geared towards the more commercial market.

I'll be happy reducing diseases pressures as much as possible at a reasonable price with the understanding I may be sacrificing some of my mango yield.  Hopefully, the regimen I described earlier will work pretty well though...fingers crossed.

I'm starting the Serenade today (combining with Coco Wet spreader) as I have a couple spikes on my trees (no flowers).  Then in 2 weeks will move on to the Copper (Liqui-Cop), then 2 weeks later follow it up with the Plant Doctor.  However, if I see flowers open, I'm planning on skipping a fungicide treatment that week and use Growscripts (https://www.growscripts.com/shop/bloomtime-formula-calcium-magnesium-boron-blend/) Calcium Magnesium Boron Blend.  Then the following week start the fungicide regimen again.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: January 12, 2019, 07:03:04 PM »
That Monterrey Liqui-Cop should work fine, at the lowest concentration recommended, when on flower spikes.

The Southern Ag Liquid Copper sold here in Home Depot is roughly the same.
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: January 12, 2019, 10:20:15 PM »
Thanks Har! Hopefully we get some more dry and cooler temps over next several weeks!

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: January 13, 2019, 08:24:14 AM »
I'm starting the Serenade today (combining with Coco Wet spreader) as I have a couple spikes on my trees (no flowers).

For what you're paying and getting in a pint for that coco-wet you can get a gallon of the same non-ionic surfactant at a feed store for less cost.   

Magnabon CS2005 is cheap and like Pristine it goes a long way and has an excellent shelf life.  I split a jug of Pristine with a friend 10 years ago and am still using it.

Stay squeaky clean.    ;)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #1188 on: January 14, 2019, 03:34:42 PM »
Can someone help me with this:
Front of leaves

Back of leaves

A Valencia Pride planted 15ft away looks fine.

Both receive 8-3-9 w/ micros during growing season (although, not as much as they should)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: January 14, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »
It's sending you a message: "Feed me!" I might switch over to a slow release mix like Har's 0-3-16 plus some sulfur to lower ph and perhaps drenches with iron chelate. Probably going to be deficient in copper and manganese as well.

The vp could be in a better area of soil. Or it could be better at nutrient absoprtion due to cultivar. Or, maybe the chlorotic tree was pruned more? (the leaves hold nutrients). Or maybe the chlorotic tree is older (and has depleted the little bit of soil nutrition was there to begin with). Etc.

Can someone help me with this:
Front of leaves

Back of leaves

A Valencia Pride planted 15ft away looks fine.

Both receive 8-3-9 w/ micros during growing season (although, not as much as they should)
Jeff  :-)

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: January 19, 2019, 03:05:07 PM »
I'm not sure if this is Powdery Mildew, or some other insect (spider?) that's making this "film" on my Venus mango tree.  Is this anything to be concerned over?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 19, 2019, 09:04:50 PM »
Looks to be Spider Mites.
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 20, 2019, 11:04:03 AM »
Looks to be Spider Mites.

Thanks for the diagnosis Har!  I'm looking up appropriate treatment options.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: January 20, 2019, 07:52:45 PM »
Any idea why this Glenn mango has stayed the same after being 2 months in the ground? It was in similar condition in its original 15 gallon pot. Since it was in ground it showed no growth at all, I have applied Osmocte and drenched it with fish and kelp emulsions. Planted at the same time other mangoes and lychees flushed several times. Only difference with this tree is I used Palm and Cactus mix instead of mulch for better drainage. Does it have a chance to regain health?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: January 20, 2019, 08:27:00 PM »
Any idea why this Glenn mango has stayed the same after being 2 months in the ground? It was in similar condition in its original 15 gallon pot. Since it was in ground it showed no growth at all, I have applied Osmocte and drenched it with fish and kelp emulsions. Planted at the same time other mangoes and lychees flushed several times. Only difference with this tree is I used Palm and Cactus mix instead of mulch for better drainage. Does it have a chance to regain health?

If it has only been in the ground for 2 months it just needs more tkme and some warm weather.  Probably won't get much action until around August.
Brad Spaugh

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 20, 2019, 08:41:33 PM »

If it has only been in the ground for 2 months it just needs more tkme and some warm weather.  Probably won't get much action until around August.

Good to hear, I was afraid that it is slowly dying.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 20, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »
It is supposed to grow roots for a while, first, before it grows more top.
Har

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 21, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »
Little bit of leaf tip burn on our potted Pickering, Haden and Coconut Cream. Definitely hard to surmise what may be the cause. Wind, water logged, salts, chlorine, over fert, nutrient deficiency, etc..
We use Osmocote plus and a little foliar feed now & then. Once in a while water from the hose. I did order the Boogie Blue Plus for a little peace of mind when having to hose water.
Not sure if I should just do nothing and see how it plays out or run the risk of overthinking and wind up doing too much and possibly make things worse.
I thought about adding some gypsum to remedy any salt build up, add a little calcium and possibly aid in drainage.
So many variables when container growing. Wish I could just put them in the ground. I feel like it would make life easier.

Garoh

• Kuwait
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 21, 2019, 09:49:53 AM »
hello everybody
Im in kuwait and 5 days ago we had a cold windy weather . One of my mango trees was positioned in a bad windy place it was planted one month and a half ago . It has a huge flowering and good health until we had that cold windy weather 5 days ago as i mentioned . Since that the flowers started to die and get dry . See the pics . Anyone has an idea about this ??

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 21, 2019, 04:53:19 PM »
Both of the above appear to have powdery mildew, the most common mango malady during cool dry weather.

Fertilizing with Gypsum / Calcium Sulfate is usually also a good idea.
Har