Author Topic: PT seedlings growth rate  (Read 1148 times)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
PT seedlings growth rate
« on: May 30, 2019, 06:03:44 AM »
Anyone with comparative experience of PT seedlings growing in pots in a greenhouse or outside in soil.
Which way would they grow faster?  Limited soil in pots but a warmer and more humid climate or outside deep root, direct sun. Water and fertiliser the same for both.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: PT seedlings growth rate
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 06:22:03 AM »
I have done the experiment you speak of....the end result was: The greenhouse plants failed to keep up with the ground planted rootstock. Both were given the same level of care. For some reason the mother earth environment is what PT wants....and....it seems that in ground plants are greener, bark slips easier, take percentage is near 100%. Drawback is you gotta get down on the ground to bud...

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 07:39:21 AM »
Yep, much faster in the ground.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 09:48:57 AM »
My containerized PT/FD grow painfully slowly in small containers.  The ones I've put in rootmakers grow considerably faster.  I haven't planted them outside yet, but I suspect that would be even faster.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 05:56:41 PM »
Thank you for your experience answers.
I am thinking to grow them in ground for a year (they are ⚅ months old) then graft and move them into pots. I would wash the roots from the garden soil and use a light citrus mix. Does this make any sense?  Rather than just grow them from seed in pots.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 05:58:01 PM »
I've never tried soil to container, though I am about to for the first time.  I don't know how well it will work.   I can't imagine why it would not work.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 06:21:23 PM »
I've never tried soil to container, though I am about to for the first time.  I don't know how well it will work.   I can't imagine why it would not work.
Last year I received few seedling in a heavy soil. I didn't like it, heavy not easy to move and it dried easily.  So I washed the roots and reported this spring. Growth is some how slow, and it shows deficiency problems.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 06:51:33 PM »
Most of my rootstock is soil in containers. The exception is a 60' row of poncirus that I budded this year. I do not use a conditioner for rootstock. Poncirus likes dirt....dirt of many kinds. I use the Mississippi delta sandy alluvial  gumbo) that occurs naturally here. I have no problems with it and my rootstock is green and healthy. When I containerize a citrus that will live much life in that container I go to 60% Expert garden soil (Walmart) 15% sharp sand & 15%light weight aggate. I take care to fertilize and water well an it works for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk