Author Topic: Socal grafting party  (Read 27687 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Socal grafting party
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:57:44 PM »
Anyone in Southern California want to get together and graft some plants? Maybe in 2-3 weeks? When is a good time for you?

Since we have people from Ventura to San Diego I'm think somewhere in between like Orange County would be a good start. VyVy, Nullzero, Behl I know are around there. VyVy has been wanting to graft some thing on her cherimoya and it would be good practice for the rest of us and an opportunity to meet and trade.

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
Re: Socal grafting party
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »
fyliu

please count me in
I will be available most weekends in August
in return the favor for teaching me how to graft
I will bring vietnamese Egg rolls to the grafting party

thank you for arranging this fyliu
you rock

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:52:52 PM »
I can contribute some lyndstrom atemoya scions and maybe small Vietnamese and Australian ones. the last two are still small trees.

Also my lychee and longan trees are large enough to take many scions if anyone wants some. I've never tried grafting them before.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »
Count me in! I will have a free schedule after August 13th.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 07:06:38 PM »
I can contribute some lyndstrom atemoya scions and maybe small Vietnamese and Australian ones. the last two are still small trees.

Also my lychee and longan trees are large enough to take many scions if anyone wants some. I've never tried grafting them before.

I won't be able to attend but PM me so we could trade for lyndstrom and Australian Atemoya.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »
Count me in! I will have a free schedule after August 13th.
Hi Nullzero,
If you want to graft the Maha Chanok....let me know a week or two ahead...so i can prepare the scion for you.

Dnt,

I would love to try to graft it  ;D.

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 01:26:36 AM »
Is it possible for anyone of us to come and learn as well?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 02:12:05 AM »
Yes that was my intention. Everyone should learn to graft. It's not too difficult after the first couple of tries.

The other thing is if someone has plants, maybe we could try to graft something else onto them.

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 03:21:24 AM »
Yes that was my intention. Everyone should learn to graft. It's not too difficult after the first couple of tries.

The other thing is if someone has plants, maybe we could try to graft something else onto them.

fyliu

if my sugar apple tree (thai lessard) can be used in any way, I would more than happy to contribute to this grafting party, It's small though, perhaps 1 1/2 year old, not sure if u can use it to graft yet. let me know

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 03:55:33 AM »
VyVy I was hoping you or someone around your area could volunteer your place for this. It's sort of in the middle area not extremely far from everybody. Do you have some in-ground trees that we could add a couple of grafts on?

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »
Sounds fun to be rubbing elbows with fellow members, only wish I could attend  :-[
Tim

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »
I have a few extra cherimoya seedlings that can be used for grafting. Not sure if it would be the best time to graft them.

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »
VyVy I was hoping you or someone around your area could volunteer your place for this. It's sort of in the middle area not extremely far from everybody. Do you have some in-ground trees that we could add a couple of grafts on?

fyliu

I am brand new to gardening/planting; therefore I havn't had any in ground tree yet, all of mine are recently purchased and are still in pots

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 11:36:24 AM »
I have a few extra cherimoya seedlings that can be used for grafting. Not sure if it would be the best time to graft them.

nullzero

Are your cherimoya seedlings going to be used as root stock or scion?

thanks

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 11:39:28 AM »

nullzero

Are your cherimoya seedlings going to be used as root stock or scion?

thanks

Rootstock

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »
nullzero

that's perfect
I have cherimoya seedlings too, but too small for grafting

I will bring 1 sugar apple tree (potted) and perhaps a few scion Australia /Isarael atemoya (not sure which one. I bought them but no fruits yet, It's flowering,  some said Australia, some said Israel. I might be able to get some from my neighbors too, that is if I would  have to bring back for her something, maybe one of your cherimoya rootstock with grafting. Her Atemoya have very nice fruits every year

if someone can show me how to harvest a scion, I will bring them
I also have some sugar apple seeds and will bring them.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:19:19 PM by VyVy »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 12:33:20 PM »
I have to check my trees to make sure but I think last year's growth is best. It's not too old and woody and it's not too new and tender. One or two sticks cut at 1/2 inch diameter or a little smaller should do. We'll cut it into shorter sections of around 4 inches in length.

It's best if the scion matches the size of the rootstock but that can be overcome with grafting that's not of the most beautiful kind.

I can volunteer my place too. It's in Covina. You can use my atemoyas as scion.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »
Hi VyVy - I spoke a gentle in OC recently regarding the the "Australian"  &  "Israeli" atemoyas as well.  The gentleman knew the difference between Cherimoya & Atemoya, but as for actual cultivar, he said his friends/nurserymen only call them MĂNG CẦU Ut  or  MĂNG CẦU Do Thai regardless if they're American bred.  And from my talk with him they apparently have no terms for Atemoyas developed in America, because they refer to Cherimoya as MĂNG CẦU My.  Do you understand the logic behind this or any further understanding? 

This is his tree, and apparently it's called MĂNG CẦU Do Thai (Israeli atemoya) - I have nothing but respect for the man but highly doubt it's an actual Israeli or Australian cultivar.

nullzero

that's perfect
I have cherimoya seedlings too, but too small for grafting

I will bring 1 sugar apple tree (potted) and perhaps a few scion Australia /Isarael atemoya (not sure which one. I bought them but no fruits yet, It's flowering,  some said Australia, some said Israel. I might be able to get some from my neighbors too, that is if I would  have to bring back for her something, maybe one of your cherimoya rootstock with grafting. Her Atemoya have very nice fruits every year

if someone can show me how to harvest a scion, I will bring them
I also have some sugar apple seeds and will bring them.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:46:50 PM by Tim »
Tim

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
Tim

don't quote me on this one :)
mang cau Do Thai (Atemoya) is the hybrid between cherimoya & sugar apple
mang cau Uc (australian) is very new to me, I havn't had a chance to try it yet, therefore I dont know

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 12:58:28 PM »
From what I was told, MĂNG CẦU Ut is also Atemoya but from Australia.  So yea, that's what I figured.  Do Thai or Ut are just generalized terms because they really don't refer to actual cultivar name (eg:  "Gefner, Lisa, African Pride, Pinks Mammoth, etc.")

Tim

don't quote me on this one :)
mang cau Do Thai (Atemoya) is the hybrid between cherimoya & sugar apple
mang cau Uc (australian) is very new to me, I havn't had a chance to try it yet, therefore I dont know
Tim

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 01:12:57 PM »
Tim

you sound very knowledgable about these mang cau
would you please tell me the differences between: Gefner, Lisa, African Pride, Pinks Mammoth, etc. I only learned of these names after I joined this forum about a month ago

thanks

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
Please count me in.   I've never grafted anything, but would like to learn...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »
Does anyone have Avocado seedlings they can bring. Btw, the cherimoya seedlings are 2 years old. I should have 3-5 spare ones.

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
Does anyone have Avocado seedlings they can bring. Btw, the cherimoya seedlings are 2 years old. I should have 3-5 spare ones.

nullzero ---I will check with my friends, sometimes they offered avocado seedling to me but I don't like avocado therefore never took it, I will bring it if I find some by the time of the party

dnt72800---thank you for your explaination, I got an idea now

MMMMommy ---I have never grafted, or grown anything either, this will be the first time, it will be fun

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »
hmmm... thanks David for the heads up.
Though that made even less sense than previously, because Gefner is an Isreali cultivar.

Lai Thieu has great selection though I don't trust their labels/names, this is after the owner dubbing Lancetilla as Xoai Tuong and said it's from "Thailand".

**** please excuse my retardedness for repeated use of Ut in place of Uc, don't know why I keep doing that***

Do Thai = African Pride, UC= Geffner.....Go to lai thieu around fruiting season and see the fruits....
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:50:51 PM by Tim »
Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk