Author Topic: Figs in south Florida  (Read 4616 times)

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Figs in south Florida
« on: August 22, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »
I need help growing fig trees. If anyone has success please share.

koundog

• U.S FL,Vero Beach 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Figs in south Florida
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »
At least for me the nematodes were a huge problem for my figs so when I bought new ones I cut out a hole in the bottom of a five gallon bucket. The nematodes are mostly in the top 18 inches of the soil so if you have a barrier it helps the trees planted like these are doing much better than those not

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:47:41 PM »
What kind of help do you need? I would start by picking a type(s) that do well in humid
Florida. The LSU figs were developed for humid areas. I personally add mulch 3-4 times a year
and coffee grounds every month and manures for fertilizer. I have had problems with a
couple figs early on which was probably nematodes, but once they get going I haven't had
issues. My experience has been when the figs ripen during wet periods their flavor is washed out.
I have 9 different fig types and every year I have had different results. It seems like each year
a different fig tastes better, I think it has to do with timing and rainfall mostly. Most experienced
fig growers agree fig trees improve with age and some take 5 or more years to produce good figs.
One example about fig ripening is I have a White Texas everbearing fig and it is loaded with immature
figs right now. The first one ripened this week and I have never had this tree have figs after July.
It has always been early right when rainy season gets going. We are fairly dry right now and these figs
will probably ripen into September and who knows the taste this year,

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 12:18:04 AM »
I tried, and gave up. Read the following link, I think I had all of the problems listed :-) I have gotten into tropical fruits that are impossible to get retail and figs I can get anytime, they weren't worth the problems.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/figs/common-fig-tree-diseases.htm
Regards,

Gary

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 12:42:07 AM »
Try LSU purple in a large pot, partial shade, water so it doesn't dry out on hot days. You will win.

-joep450

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:31:40 AM »
Try LSU purple in a large pot, partial shade, water so it doesn't dry out on hot days. You will win.

-joep450
I agree LSU purple has been very easy for me, I have one in the ground for around 5 years
It seems to have figs all summer long that ripen. Mine is in full sun and I am not hand watering the
figs this summer and we have not been as wet as usual.

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 10:30:22 AM »
I have 5 figs and they are the most vigorous trees I have, on par with my bananas

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 10:50:43 AM »
At least for me the nematodes were a huge problem for my figs so when I bought new ones I cut out a hole in the bottom of a five gallon bucket. The nematodes are mostly in the top 18 inches of the soil so if you have a barrier it helps the trees planted like these are doing much better than those not

How long have your figs been living in the bucket?
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »
What kind of help do you need? I would start by picking a type(s) that do well in humid
Florida. The LSU figs were developed for humid areas. I personally add mulch 3-4 times a year
and coffee grounds every month and manures for fertilizer
. I have had problems with a
couple figs early on which was probably nematodes, but once they get going I haven't had
issues. My experience has been when the figs ripen during wet periods their flavor is washed out.
I have 9 different fig types and every year I have had different results. It seems like each year
a different fig tastes better, I think it has to do with timing and rainfall mostly. Most experienced
fig growers agree fig trees improve with age and some take 5 or more years to produce good figs.
One example about fig ripening is I have a White Texas everbearing fig and it is loaded with immature
figs right now. The first one ripened this week and I have never had this tree have figs after July.
It has always been early right when rainy season gets going. We are fairly dry right now and these figs
will probably ripen into September and who knows the taste this year,

I agree with your post.  Is your native soil more on the loamy side?  Mine is pure sand so I've been growing in large fabric pots however next year I'll probably be construct some 6'x6' "fig boxes" and plant in ground.  This year most figs seemed to be washed out.
- Marley

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
How much of a rust problem do you have with LSU Purple fig? I have Ischia and brown turkey figs and they get lots of brown (I think it is) fungus? on the leafs that rot and fall off. I ate an Ischia or brown turkey today and it was delicious. My two figs are planted close together and I lost track of which is which.

Who knows why but no leaf rust this year.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:37:15 PM by zands »

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
A Celeste fig came with the house got some figs early but now not much, is this the time to prune. It is 5 feet tall and 7 feet wide / partial sun.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 02:53:53 PM »
My soil is pure white sand but I constantly add mulch and other organics.
Today I was driving by my sister's house and her neighbor had garbage cans full of
80%pine needles and 20% oak leaves. I got 4 large garbage cans of this and will put this
around the base of my trees. A few months ago the guy threw away around 15 garbage bags
of 90% oak leaves. I have a circle of mulch around my trees and I put the oak leaves around the base of
almost all my trees. With this 4 new cans of pine needles I can finish off my trees. It's incredible how fast
it is breaking down. Both are suppose to be very acidic. Everything seems to like this compost I am
creating and supposedly the good nematodes like this?

The celeste may have another late crop I would wait to prune it. Most people with figs prune them in the fall or
early spring. The figs form on the new growth and usually the second crop is better. Last year I had a LSU gold
have a very late batch of figs that ripened in November. They had honey dripping out of the eye and were so damn
good. I bet they tasted like the figs from California. Figs prefer Dry heat, Florida will never consistently produce better
figs then a dry hot climate. And as far as the rust on the leaves all mine get that especially when its very wet or late
in the season. They always look the best in April and May before the humidity. 

It's great to bite  into a ripe fig. It reminds me of jelly in the center, but I only eat a couple because they are so
rich. I constantly have birds beating me to them or insects and truthfully all the work and set backs I should have
1 or 2 trees not 9. I just have a hard time getting rid of something that isn't dead and I haven't run out of room on my
2 1/2 acres yet.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
I ate an Ischia or brown turkey today and it was delicious. My two figs are planted close together and I lost track of which is which.

BT gets pretty large maroon fig with  open eye that easily gets spoiled. 
Green Ish is a smaller green fig with closed eye - bright red flesh.
- Marley

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 05:17:20 PM »
I ate an Ischia or brown turkey today and it was delicious. My two figs are planted close together and I lost track of which is which.

BT gets pretty large maroon fig with  open eye that easily gets spoiled. 
Green Ish is a smaller green fig with closed eye - bright red flesh.

Then it was brown turkey I ate today. Larger and maroon. Many thanks.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 10:09:16 PM »
What I have seen is LSU Purple gets fig rust where LSU Gold doesn't, I haven't noticed any excessive rust or problems with fruit or stunted growth from the few leaves that get it, any time leaves drop from either cultivar I pick them up from the pots and throw them away. I prefer the flavor of purple > gold.

-joep450

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 08:44:43 AM »
What I have seen is LSU Purple gets fig rust where LSU Gold doesn't, I haven't noticed any excessive rust or problems with fruit or stunted growth from the few leaves that get it, any time leaves drop from either cultivar I pick them up from the pots and throw them away. I prefer the flavor of purple > gold.

-joep450

This is like muscadines. Purple over gold