Author Topic: Transplant shock. Help!!!  (Read 5536 times)

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
Transplant shock. Help!!!
« on: October 23, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »
One of my guava tree is going through transplant shock.  It is an air layered tree that is about 1.5 feet tall.  I planted this tree in the ground last March but I transplanted it into a 15g pot about 3 weeks ago.  I noticed that the leaves were droopy 2-3 days after it was dug out. so I covered the canopy with a clear plastic bag.  The leaves perked back up but 80-90% of the older leaves have already fallen off.  Is it a goner?  Is there anything I can do to save it?

eduardo_98

• USA, Florida, Tampa, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Transplant shock. Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 04:41:58 PM »
Do you have any pictures of the tree?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »
Decrease dehydration by removing lower droopy leaves. Mist the tree as often as possible. Make sure it is in deep shade till it recoops, and keep it out of any wind. It should recover. Once it completely perks up slowly transition it to full sun.
Oscar

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance Oscar.  I forgot to mention that the tree is under a 50% shade cloth.  I will move it into a more shaded area.  Is there anything I can do to promote or stimulate root growth in this stage?  I read in a website that adding diluted suguar water will help or promote root growth.  What's the logic behind it?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »
Consider trimming off a good percentage of the leafy branches.  When a plant loses, say, half its roots, it does best to have half its leafy area removed to balance it.

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance Oscar.  I forgot to mention that the tree is under a 50% shade cloth.  I will move it into a more shaded area.  Is there anything I can do to promote or stimulate root growth in this stage?  I read in a website that adding diluted suguar water will help or promote root growth.  What's the logic behind it?

Guavas are very tough plants and it will probably recooperate without any fertilizer. I've never used diluted sugar for this purpose. I usually use a 1/2 strength maxicrop solution. Some people like to use the product Thrive, or a B complex dilution. The idea is to give the sick person a little bit of chicken broth to perk them up a bit.  ;)  You know, chicken soup for the soul?  :D
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »

There's no logic, just more of the same ol junk science that's so prevalent on the internet.  Sugar water won't help, only moderate light, high RH, moderate temps and time.  It's my understanding that the sugar molecule (and that includes tonics like molasses) is too large to pass a root's epidermal gradient.  You could try 10 drops of Superthrive in a gallon of water.   The label and Vitamin B1 is hype and has no value, the synthetic auxin it contains might induce root cell elongation and division.  Here's some excellent info that should help you:
http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Vitamin%20B1.pdf

I'm not in the camp of removing leaves.  It's the leaves that are producing carbos for the production of root tissue.  I say let them fall off on their own after the plant uses/extracts the "goodies".

Seaweed extracts might stimulate root growth.  I also have found no value in them other than stuffing the pocket book of organic pushers.  For example, a popular organic rocket fuel, Spray-N-Gro, has it's highest salt content in Sodium, which is not bueno for plants.  Here's the skinny, the science from a pro - http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Seaweed%20extracts.pdf

Oh, and burn some holes in that plastic bag with a cigarette, hot icepick.....

Good luck,
Mark

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:16:59 PM by Mark in Texas »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »
Molasses and sugar have been used with success here by pineapple growers. What it does is stimulate bioflora growth in soil (micro organisms) that in turn speeds up nutrient accesibility to root growth. So the effect is indirect, but certainly works anyway.
I wouldn't use this approach on sickly plants as it takes some time, and with plants in emergency situation you want to do something that has very rapid effect.
Oscar

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 06:37:33 PM »
I have to second what Oscar said about guava trees being very tough. a few years ago, a friend of mine dug up one from her yard, and gave it to me. When it got to me, it looked like it was dying, with the leaves all droopy. I didn't want to plant it at first, but my friend kept saying that just plant it, and that it would make it. It did, in spite of all the "wrong" things I did as a newbie when planting it, such as digging a hole in hard clay just as big as the 3 gallon pot it came in, no misting, no trimming leaves, etc... The only good thing for it was I planted it in a partial shaded area. It's now 10ft tall, and bears a lot of fruits.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »
I second what Mark says about the super thrive , i transplanted my red guava tree from the back of my house to the front & same thing happened.

That night i gave it a shoot of super thrive & it perked up the next morning .
My guava tree is about 8ft tall.

Good luck..
Zone 10

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »
Worm tea brewing with molasses should be beneficial for the plant as well (same reason that Oscar posted about the beneficial microbes being fed).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
Molasses and sugar have been used with success here by pineapple growers. What it does is stimulate bioflora growth in soil (micro organisms) that in turn speeds up nutrient accesibility to root growth.

Yeah, feed the soil....I got it Oscar.   Show me the science which means I want to see the results of  a bonafide field test, replicated at least 3 times done by non partisan professionals.     

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 10:24:18 PM »
Superthrive does not work!!! Scam.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0TQaMiEuY

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
Miracle Grow plant food - 10

Superthrive - 0

Nice job DurianLover

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 04:14:57 PM »
Molasses and sugar have been used with success here by pineapple growers. What it does is stimulate bioflora growth in soil (micro organisms) that in turn speeds up nutrient accesibility to root growth.

Yeah, feed the soil....I got it Oscar.   Show me the science which means I want to see the results of  a bonafide field test, replicated at least 3 times done by non partisan professionals.   
This research study on papayas showed that molasses not only increased production but that it is cost effective. There is also a possibility that molasses may lower harmful nematode populations.
http://www.harc-hspa.com/publications/VEG3.pdf
Oscar

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »
Superthrive has worked for me in the few times that i have used it ..
I guess its luck of the draw..

I still keep a bottle ;).
Zone 10

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk