Author Topic: Is Angie a Top-Tier Mango?  (Read 28885 times)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Re: Is Angie a Top-Tier Mango?
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2015, 11:27:07 AM »
Glad to see others having success. Interesting about the bloom time potentially impacting flavor. My trees actually seemed to bloom a bit late this year tho - must be the cooler temps in central FL. One of the most interesting things is that perhaps this is just one of those polarizing varieties where some really like them, and others don't. A critter got a low hanging one yesterday - maybe that means flavor is improving? Previously, critters would steer clear of this variety. Holding out for the later fruits to ripen being better...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2015, 08:36:29 PM »
Glad to see others having success. Interesting about the bloom time potentially impacting flavor. My trees actually seemed to bloom a bit late this year tho - must be the cooler temps in central FL. One of the most interesting things is that perhaps this is just one of those polarizing varieties where some really like them, and others don't. A critter got a low hanging one yesterday - maybe that means flavor is improving? Previously, critters would steer clear of this variety. Holding out for the later fruits to ripen being better...

I think there's more to it than just being a "polarizing" variety as some are getting washed-out flavor and lack of sweetness while others are getting an intensely flavorful mango.
John

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »
I've had both ends of the spectrum on several varieties this year. The early coco cream and angie are two. Early season was bland later season have been very good to outstanding.

I think there's more to it than just being a "polarizing" variety as some are getting washed-out flavor and lack of sweetness while others are getting an intensely flavorful mango.
JC

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 12:12:02 PM »
I have only had two Angie mango's so hardly enough to know more than that. 

The first we got from Tropical Acres and it was superb.   That one would have been hard to beat, 

The other we got from a vendor at Fruit and Spice Park and the seed had already sprouted and wasn't good at all.   The fruit I got there turned out to be my worst buy so far, so it wasn't the only bad one in that bunch.   

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »
I've had both ends of the spectrum on several varieties this year. The early coco cream and angie are two. Early season was bland later season have been very good to outstanding.

I agree there seem to be quality issues as well as individual taste. Mine have been very strongly flavored. Nothing washed out about the flavor, just not a flavor I'm enjoying. With mine in particular, most fruits are small, severely blemished and not ripening properly. So very hard to judge if the flavor I dislike is present in better formed specimens. Here's a pic of 3 of mine (with a coghall next to them for scale). The one on the left is the best formed one I've had so far.

Fig-Doctor

• Florida West Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2018, 10:01:07 PM »
Angie is a good mango as a dwarf tree but in my garden I don’t put it my Top 5 . Dot, Lemon zest, Coco cream, Carrie, Sweet tart. All of them have very strong sweetness and complex flavor.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 10:12:54 PM »
Surprised to see Carrie in your top 5 but not Angie. They are similar in terms of flavor profile, with Angie being more firm.

Angie is a good mango as a dwarf tree but in my garden I don’t put it my Top 5 . Dot, Lemon zest, Coco cream, Carrie, Sweet tart. All of them have very strong sweetness and complex flavor.
Jeff  :-)

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2018, 09:30:22 AM »
I started this topic three years ago and still have my Angie tree although I keep telling myself I should replace it.  Angie does have its qualities.  The tree is compact and manageable, and it's an early variety.  The flavor is nothing like Pickering, which is my other early tree.  Although it's not super-sweet, I've found I've gotten used to the unique flavor and "appreciate" it.  I can understand why some mango connoisseurs love it.  The texture is firm yet super-smooth and fiber-free (superb).  The smaller fruit has more intense and sweeter flavor and can be excellent.  If you had ten mango trees, Angie could be included.  If only five, probably not.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:20:24 PM by johnb51 »
John

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2018, 12:30:58 PM »
It tastes like funky cooked carrots.  It's a spitter.  Has no business being a recommended variety.  Comparing it to a Carrie isn't accurate.

Sulcata Groves Angie Review - I totally agree.

https://youtu.be/9tdO4KcH63M
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:54:46 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2018, 12:38:58 PM »
Surprised to see Carrie in your top 5 but not Angie. They are similar in terms of flavor profile, with Angie being more firm.

Carrie is great.....Angie tastes like A$$
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2018, 01:15:12 PM »
I had angie this year and previous years, taste being subjective, I dont count it in top tier class which per my taste buds are ST, PC, LZ, HK, etc.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2018, 01:20:28 PM »

Carrie is great.....Angie tastes like A$$

I agree with your comment about Angie...as does Carrie and Ugly Betty.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2018, 01:27:32 PM »
For me, it's towards the lower end of Excellent. But I eat mine just a hair underripe such that the fruit retains some acidity and a bit more complexity of flavor. The "spice" note (ie, the flavor in the sap / near the skin) is nearly identical to carrie. But Angie has the advantage of firmer skin. If you let it fully ripen, it does get a bit bland. As with a lot of mangoes, it's all about stage of ripeness.

I've never tasted carrot though. That's weird.
Jeff  :-)

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2018, 02:42:39 PM »
No carrot flavor for me.  Now Neelam had the carrot flavor, and I got rid of that tree right away!
John

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2018, 08:57:23 PM »
I topworked mine. Didn't like the fruit mine produced. havent had a chance to taste one grown in another location - wonder if it would taste different?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2018, 12:59:25 PM »
had another Angie last night I got from Florida. I smiled after tasting it, glad I topworked it.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2018, 06:32:14 PM »
Angie is every bit just as much a top tier mango as Diamond is............/sarc 

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2018, 07:16:22 AM »
had another Angie last night I got from Florida. I smiled after tasting it, glad I topworked it.

Thanks for sharing - that indicates perhaps that rather than variable quality-just taste is subjective and this variety is especially polarizing.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2018, 07:31:33 AM »

Thanks for sharing - that indicates perhaps that rather than variable quality-just taste is subjective and this variety is especially polarizing.

I believe Behl was confirming he didnt like it and was glad he topworked the tree into something else...
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2018, 08:25:59 AM »

What's crazy is that I like Angie (though I wouldn't say top 5) but absolutely despise Carrie. The qualifier I'll put on that is I only enjoy Angie when it's firm/tart. Once it gets softer and develops the Carrie 'odor,' I can't stand it.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2018, 10:02:43 PM »

I believe Behl was confirming he didnt like it and was glad he topworked the tree into something else...

Yep. I topworked mine too, but haven't had the chance to confirm that I dislike all Angies. All I can say for sure is I didn't like the ones my tree produced. But Behl's experience makes me think I probably just don't like them in general.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2018, 12:28:10 PM »

You got it right Rob. I now have no tolerance for non-performers. I give them 3-years and then out. I did that to Edward, and few others.

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2018, 10:26:28 PM »
An Angie I bought from Excalibur in 2015 is bearing fruits for the first time, and they're delicious. I was late in harvesting the mangoes because of a parent's failing health, and am only now beginning to pick mangoes off trees.
Found a couple of Angie mangoes that ripened and fell of the tree, and they were great. No regrets about planting this little tree.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2018, 06:25:54 AM »
What about diease resistance, to MBBS?
Www.sailing-charters.org

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile