Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183203 times)

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #425 on: October 30, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »
Brad, what should a Stewart look like when it is prime for harvest?  I have my first, very small, crop this year.  Should it have a little bit of black on the skin, or be completely black?  Thanks.

All black. 

You can let them get all black and pick or let them fall off.  They will not get over ripe, they just fall off the tree when ready.  At least thats what happens here.  Theres a few pics of them on this page I posted.  Thats how they come off the tree, black as night.

Thanks for the response.  I guess I'll have to wait longer.  Even the fully shaded fruit get all black on the tree?

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 30, 2018, 04:35:17 PM »
Heres a lamb hass next to stewart.  The lamb is really superior in every way.  The only thing stewart has going for it over lamb is that it ripens in 6 months instead of 12 to 18.  The lamb tree is really vigorous, heat and salt tolerant, heavy producing.  This is a really good avocado to grow.

Brad, i'm starting to get intereste in Lamb Hass variety, do you think it would grow and fruit in my climate?
Lorenzo

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 30, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
Heres a lamb hass next to stewart.  The lamb is really superior in every way.  The only thing stewart has going for it over lamb is that it ripens in 6 months instead of 12 to 18.  The lamb tree is really vigorous, heat and salt tolerant, heavy producing.  This is a really good avocado to grow.

Brad, i'm starting to get intereste in Lamb Hass variety, do you think it would grow and fruit in my climate?

I have no idea Lory.  Maybe since people are growing it in Hawaii.  The guys in hawaii on this forum would know best.  Some guy is buying scions from me to start a farm in the philippines.  He has been buying hass and reed sticks.  Im not even sure hass will grow there.  Never been to the philippenes, if its like florida you probably need the west indian watercados.  Do you know if people grow hass there?
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 30, 2018, 08:00:53 PM »
Nice work Mark, your tree's are returning nicely wishing you the best growth ;) 8)

Thanks Scott!  Have done 85 grafts this year, most on established greenhouse in ground trees.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 30, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »
Mark, are you growing stewart, can't remember if you got that one growing?  I think Im going to yank mine.  Its a good fruit but they fall off and the tops of the fruit all crack.  Then they fall off and fire ants and rodents start eating them.  Its pretty annoying.  Heres some that fell today.  Ants were eating them where they are cracked and a mouse ate one of them. 

All my Stewart grafts failed....I'm cursed.  Not that I care, thanks to "some" nice SoCal gentleman I've got better things going on.

I agree, kick the losers to the curb.

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 30, 2018, 11:25:01 PM »

My Sharwil is in the beginning stages of flowering

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 30, 2018, 11:50:29 PM »
Brad, what should a Stewart look like when it is prime for harvest?  I have my first, very small, crop this year.  Should it have a little bit of black on the skin, or be completely black?  Thanks.

All black. 

You can let them get all black and pick or let them fall off.  They will not get over ripe, they just fall off the tree when ready.  At least thats what happens here.  Theres a few pics of them on this page I posted.  Thats how they come off the tree, black as night.

Thanks for the response.  I guess I'll have to wait longer.  Even the fully shaded fruit get all black on the tree?

Yeah they turn black even inside the tree.  They will fall off when they are fully ripe.  At least wait until its black if you are going to pick them.  Once they start to ripen up, it happens pretty fast so don't worry if you arent getting action yet.

How far from the ocean are you there?
Brad Spaugh

venturabananas

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 31, 2018, 01:29:06 AM »
Yeah they turn black even inside the tree.  They will fall off when they are fully ripe.  At least wait until its black if you are going to pick them.  Once they start to ripen up, it happens pretty fast so don't worry if you arent getting action yet.

Thanks again.  That's helpful info.  I'm about 3 miles from the ocean and get lots of coastal fog, and then at this time of year, we get some screaming, hot, dry Santa Anas.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 31, 2018, 05:14:47 AM »
@ Brad
I have a Hass here but it's just a seedling of 4 years old. It's growing nicely but until now no fruits.
Last march it flowered but it was just a couple of them, maybe next year i'll have the answer to my questions.
FOr now I enjoy the only one tree which flowered, a seedling that is giving excellent fruits and that I decided to name MODENA as my hometown.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=25353.msg296981#msg296981
Last year it bore just 5 fruits, this year 30+ and they are getting huge, about 1kg each (2.2 lbs)
Right now I'm in Italy, this is a pic sent by my wife in the Philippines

Lorenzo

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 31, 2018, 09:49:42 AM »

Thanks again.  That's helpful info.  I'm about 3 miles from the ocean and get lots of coastal fog, and then at this time of year, we get some screaming, hot, dry Santa Anas.

Since you are further north and way closer to the ocean its going to take longer for yours to be done.  Probably give in another month or two.  Post back and let us know.  I bet yours end up hanging a lot longer as they will be hitting maturation during the colder months.
Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 31, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
Avocado or Aguacate , Avo or cado.
Avo has been slang for a long time now, an add on to your sandwich, Burrito, salad .... Whatever, It's understood " Add Avo PLease"
" Side of Avo please" . It rolls off your tounge and is a pleasant abbreviation.
Living in ground zero for slang creation , new words for old things are not uncommon. I can't recall a slang word I have less fondness for than 'cado. It sound's ....bad, like it's made up by people who dislike vegetables and fruit in general . My redneck family member's would have a hard time pronouncing Avocado or Avo without feeling silly, but I know they are comfortable with the rough and tumble 'cado, whatever the hell that is. " I got some "cado here , you want some?" . No, I do not. It sounds like fried alligator entrails and no one know's what your talking about in not a good way. Avocado is a most highly revered fruit for many people's , unduplicatable in it's content and unique all the way around. Thus as it was debated over 100 years ago , Avocado or Aguacate, the made up word , Avocado won out and hence we face this great debate of minor importance to those whose diet and livelihood do not depend on it, but this is serious fruit business.  8) :P  ;)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 01, 2018, 10:04:57 AM »

Nice!

Ribbit (sharwil fruit on the left)

alangr088

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 01, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »

Nice!

Ribbit (sharwil fruit on the left)

Very nice!
I have a lizard friend that lives on my Reed tree. Not too sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 02, 2018, 02:25:59 AM »

Do they typically start flowering at this time? I’ve got to check on mine but they are both recovering from the ides of july🤯

alangr088

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 02, 2018, 11:51:31 PM »

I am not too sure. I always thought all avocados flowered around spring time.

Wenz

• ID. Southeast Asia region
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 03, 2018, 12:06:02 AM »
hii..
greeting from tropical country
i started to collect many avocado variety, i hope most of them can grow well in my country..

I'm interested with this avocado, anyone know what variety it is? its daily 11 or something else?
 thanks.. best regard

venturabananas

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 04, 2018, 01:18:23 AM »

Since you are further north and way closer to the ocean its going to take longer for yours to be done.  Probably give in another month or two.  Post back and let us know.  I bet yours end up hanging a lot longer as they will be hitting maturation during the colder months.

I'll report back.  I figured they'd ripen later than yours.  We'll see how much later.  Thanks.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 09, 2018, 12:15:07 AM »
I have some healthy seedlings growing on a raised mound. The mound is only 15 inches tall, the seedlings are perhaps 20 inches tall (being 1 year old).
Recently, I found out that the reason avocadoes fail is because once their taproot hits clay, it is only a matter of time until it gets root rot. I really needed a taller mound to avoid this problem. Should I risk trying to elevate the mound? Or will the seedlings likely get serious damage. How deep would taproot be at one year old?
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 10, 2018, 08:15:56 AM »
I have some healthy seedlings growing on a raised mound. The mound is only 15 inches tall, the seedlings are perhaps 20 inches tall (being 1 year old).
Recently, I found out that the reason avocadoes fail is because once their taproot hits clay, it is only a matter of time until it gets root rot. I really needed a taller mound to avoid this problem. Should I risk trying to elevate the mound? Or will the seedlings likely get serious damage. How deep would taproot be at one year old?

Avocados don't need a taproot.  The Japanese intentionally terminate it in favor of a fibrous and wide but shallow root system.  (I do the same with Rootbuilder).  The production is unreal.  Check out these Pinkertons. 

Page 28 for pix of the setup.  http://htfg.org/conferences/2016/2016_JohnYoshimiYonemoto_GrowingandHarvestingtheBestAvocados.pdf

Edited out the Christmas card, sorry!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:03:17 AM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 17, 2019, 03:28:35 PM »
Here some pics of trees planted last summer.  They are starting to grow nicely.  All this rain should equal a great avocado year. 

Kahaluu, I actually just dug this one up and moved it a few weeks ago.  It didnt seem to care at all.

Sharwil

Green gold

Daily11

I planted 10 reed seedlings.  Heres 3 of them.  They will be allowed to grow and fruit.

Mexicola Grande grafted late summer took off.  Seems really happy here and tolerant of the heat.

Malama

Ardith

Nabal
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:41:08 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

venturabananas

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 18, 2019, 02:24:46 AM »
Just reporting back on Stewart in Ventura.  The handful of fruits on my tree ripened starting near the end of November and were done about two weeks ago.  Like Brad showed, the skin usually cracked at least a little.  They weren't fully black in color when the cracking started.

They were good, but not great.  Most had a little bit of fiber.  I don't know if that means too ripe or not ripe enough -- or neither.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 19, 2019, 08:53:58 AM »
Stunning Brad!  They really look good and man, what excellent choices.

Love the pine needle mulch.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 19, 2019, 11:14:16 AM »
Beautiful collection Brad, those are some excellent looking avo's 8)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 19, 2019, 11:21:17 AM »
Stunning Brad!  They really look good and man, what excellent choices.

Love the pine needle mulch.

Thanks Mark and Scott.  I have more of the Hawaiian ones that were grafted in late summer.  They're all planted out too but still super tiny.  Once they hit their stride I will take some pics.  These ones in these photos are going to take off when it warms up.

Anyway I am officially done planting avocado trees.  I think we ended up with around 40 trees.

Pine mulch, yeah I have a good local tree trimmer that is happy to being me the stuff.  I have him only bring pine or pine mixes. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:28:25 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #449 on: January 27, 2019, 05:29:26 PM »
Just when you think you might know everything about the Mexican Avocado variety.

https://www.intechopen.com/books/molecular-approaches-to-genetic-diversity/genetic-diversity-of-mexican-avocado-in-nuevo-leon-mexico

I apologize if this has already been previously posted.