Author Topic: "Puerto Rico" mamoncillo/Spanish Lime (Melicoccus bijugatus) cultivars?  (Read 7717 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I was just reading up on mamoncillo in Morton's Fruits of Warm Climates, and I noticed a few interesting things.

1.  The seed is roasted and used as a cassava substitute

2.  Can handle a little frost, at least in Florida.

More importantly, it claims there were 4 selections from PR named:

Puerto Rico #1
Puerto Rico #2
Puerto Rico #3
Puerto Rico #4

https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/mamoncillo.html

The reason they are appealing to me is that the flesh of these 4 varieties is said to separate easily from the seed, which is a major drawback to eating genip IMO.  Does anyone know what happened to these varieties?

I have never seen them referenced elsewhere...
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: "Puerto Rico" mamoncillo/Spanish Lime (Melicoccus bijugatus) cultivars?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:08:49 AM »
Jeff,

Check out these links for more info on Puerto Rican spanish lime cultivars. I've posted about them a lot in the past. If you do some googling you'll find a lot of info. Sasa & Jose Pabon are two of the more popular spanish lime cultivars. I'll try to remember to post more info tomorrow.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiOm_WihNPJAhUKWz4KHdBTC_QQFgg5MAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2F136.145.83.33%3A8000%2Fjspui%2Fbitstream%2F10476%2F750%2F1%2Fboletin%2520304.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHliAMaDsS0Zbaktuyv2D9vM-2zAQ&bvm=bv.109910813,d.cWw

http://academic.uprm.edu/bbrunner/poster_quenepa_ISTH_2006.pdf

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:09:22 AM »
One year ago, a person from the Dominican Republic sent me 3 seeds of Catoperi (Melicoccus jimenezii).
According to him, Catoperi is sweeter (without sourness) and fleshier than Mamoncillo. Ripe Catoperi fruits have yellow outer shell when that of Mamoncillo remains almost green.
If anybody in the forum could provide a comparison of both?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:11:01 AM by vipinrl »

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 03:34:12 PM »
Jeff,

Check out these links for more info on Puerto Rican spanish lime cultivars. I've posted about them a lot in the past. If you do some googling you'll find a lot of info. Sasa & Jose Pabon are two of the more popular spanish lime cultivars. I'll try to remember to post more info tomorrow.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiOm_WihNPJAhUKWz4KHdBTC_QQFgg5MAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2F136.145.83.33%3A8000%2Fjspui%2Fbitstream%2F10476%2F750%2F1%2Fboletin%2520304.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHliAMaDsS0Zbaktuyv2D9vM-2zAQ&bvm=bv.109910813,d.cWw

http://academic.uprm.edu/bbrunner/poster_quenepa_ISTH_2006.pdf

I know a little bit about those cultivars you mention.  I am growing Jose Pabon at my job.  Did the PR #s 1-4 become named varieties such as Sasa and Pabon?  If not, does anyone know what happened to them?

Also, is Pabon a fruit that clings to the seed?

@vipinrl:  That sounds great!  I got seeds from Raul (Mexico) of M. oliviforme and it also supposedly doesn't cling to the seed.  I will keep an eye out for this variety as well.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 06:31:24 PM »
One year ago, a person from the Dominican Republic sent me 3 seeds of Catoperi (Melicoccus jimenezii).
According to him, Catoperi is sweeter (without sourness) and fleshier than Mamoncillo. Ripe Catoperi fruits have yellow outer shell when that of Mamoncillo remains almost green.
If anybody in the forum could provide a comparison of both?
Maybe you mean Cotopriz? (Talisia oliviformis) I haven't taste that one yet, but theres a Meliccocus sp from here that the skin is yellow when ripe; I have seen the tree but the fruit was past prime just hanging on the tree and look small like a Longan size, dont know if that is the regular size or was dehidrated for the sun.....
El verde es vida!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »
I have a 4 ft quenepa  tree from PR and 2 seedlings growing , the leaf structure is interesting .
Ed
Zone 10

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 12:29:44 PM »
Hey Ed------- are they grafted to get both sexes per plant?
Dan

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 09:25:05 PM »
Didn't Al Martino sing a song called Spanish Limes?
Raul I hope they are mini monos as I am planting one in the yard soon.

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 07:52:12 AM »
Guys, supposedly The Jose Pabon and the Jose Sosa Puerto Rican Spanish Lime Varieties (grafted trees) are self pollinating, doesn't need a second plant for production.......

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 08:46:29 AM »
Guys, supposedly The Jose Pabon and the Jose Sosa Puerto Rican Spanish Lime Varieties (grafted trees) are self pollinating, doesn't need a second plant for production.......

I've heard that too. Just not positive it is proven to be. Probably true but I'd like to see one fruit by itself in the states.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 09:20:56 AM »
Does Pabon separate from the seed?
~Jeff

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 12:52:20 PM »
Didn't Al Martino sing a song called Spanish Limes?
Raul I hope they are mini monos as I am planting one in the yard soon.
Mike, all the ones I have seen are monos,  mine is and another guy on the neighboohood has one from a different source and is also a single tree gets loaded with fruits every year,  they come at the same. Than Lichees,  they need good irrigation during flowering to set a heavy crop,  I wouldnt call it mini size but mostly regular size,  compact,  I mean it doesn't spread wide is more like a compact column,  the leaves and tree are very different from the Meliccocus bijugatus.....
El verde es vida!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »

The correct name is Sasa not "Jose Sosa".

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »
Jose Pabon is moderately free stone in my experience, not as much as Sasa or some of the best I've had. But better than your average genip, maybe slightly more free stone than montgomery if not the same.

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »

The correct name is Sasa not "Jose Sosa".

Thank you for the correction!

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 09:52:53 PM »
Now that my POG mamoncillos are starting to show some life after a year, and I got to taste some on vacation, I'm wondering about superior cultivars.

The only thing I see available online is from TT. Several self-fruiting cultivars. Are they better than your average seedling or the POG trees?

Shane

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 08:07:11 AM »
Is this self fertility something that crops up often, top tropicals has a few self fertile ones. I  have a few seedlings that went in last year and this year and I m wondering whether its worth getting scions for them.

abimael777

• USA Puerto Rico plant zone 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 02:31:23 PM »
Hello friends
In PR  I have eaten 5 varieties of mamoncillo very sweet and easy to separate from the seed.
Among these they are:
Sasa, José Pabón and quenepa Ponce, but for me the best is Sasa.
In PR only need 1 grafted tree for produce fruits, The flowers of grafted trees are hermaphrodite.
I have 1 Sasa and 1 José Pabón tree.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
Hello friends
In PR  I have eaten 5 varieties of mamoncillo very sweet and easy to separate from the seed.
Among these they are:
Sasa, José Pabón and quenepa Ponce, but for me the best is Sasa.
In PR only need 1 grafted tree for produce fruits, The flowers of grafted trees are hermaphrodite.
I have 1 Sasa and 1 José Pabón tree.

Thanks for the feedback! The fruit I tried in CR seemed to get overripe kinda quickly. Is that true of mamoncillo and does it vary between cultivars?
Shane

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
I know I'm reviving this old thread but my inquiry is directly related.

I know there are so many cultivars existing or being selected in puerto rico or even dominican republic that are unknown to the outside world. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on some of these lesser known or newer varieties in puerto rico or elsewhere?

Añasco is one I'm interested in hearing more about, specifically how free stone it is and commercial viability. Overall I'm looking for varieties worthy of commercial outplanting of excellent quality.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
I too would be interested. They could rival Longan some mostly wild varieties I've had in the Caribbean were very good.

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
Yea they are quite variable but they can be quite excellent quality.

Other puerto rican varieties that I cant find any info on but are intriguing to me are one: Martinez, which Dr. Brunner says is one of the best quality cultivars.
Also Tuna and Cesar Ramos, which he says are great yielding cultivars.

I'd like to know how regular/productive is martinez, and maybe a quality description, and also how good quality are the productive varieties Tuna and Cesar Ramos.

Sasa is out of the consideration because from my account and from others it is shy/irregular bearing. It is the best in quality in imo.
The qualities I'm most interested in are how free stone it is, sweetness and pulp content, in that order.