Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940631 times)

MassSpectrum

• Tampa, FL, USA Zone 9B/10A
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #575 on: May 30, 2014, 12:05:54 AM »
I am very amazed at just how fast these plants grow! Below are the pictures comparing  January to March and the growth in just 2 months!

January 2012

Would that burlap material work over treated wood?

I've been contemplating using treated posts but then nail rough ceder over it. Termites are ruthless. Dont get me started. I even had them set up on a wooden shelf I built ont eh patio, and I discovered then when they entered a big pile of DF cuttings thru their cut ends and ate out the insides.  :'(

MassSpectrum

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 30, 2014, 12:09:44 AM »
Oh Marin I am sorry to hear about the accident!

I agree telling the difference between cultivars is difficult and I honestly have no clue where to start. Speaking of ID-ing DF cultivars my brother recently brought home some cuttings from a friends neighbor without any info about the DF. I have provided pics of the new cuttings next to the currently growing cuttings we gathered from the wild DF in Boca Raton. The noticeable difference is that the new cuttings are dark green, have 7 spines, and are thicker. Any help with cultivar ID is much appreciated.

New cutting on left in dark green.

Seven spines on new cutting.

Only four spines on wild boca raton find.

Looks like Sword Pear. My front yard is like a forest of the stuff. FL native. Stout, freestanding erect 'monstrosity' version of DF. Havent tried growing them on top of each other yet... Fruits can fill one hand, orange-red on inside, red on outside, much larger seeds than even Peruvian Apple Cactus. Really cool landscaping feature. Likes to get twisted all into stands of Palmettos.

I feel this species is way under-recognized / under-utilized. Grows like monsters here in FL. Strikingly similar to dragon fruit in appearance and such. Should be able to make some interesting grafting opportunities probably ideally as DF rootstock, but haven't gotten that far with experimenting with it yet...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:27:36 AM by MassSpectrum »

MassSpectrum

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 30, 2014, 12:13:16 AM »
Paul Thomson's hybrids:
- Halley's Comet
- Physical Graffiti (fastest growing)
- Delight
- S8 (Voodoo Child, Arizona Purple)

Does that mean Voodoo & AZ Purple are the same thing (S8)?

MassSpectrum

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 30, 2014, 12:28:38 AM »
Oh Marin I am sorry to hear about the accident!

I agree telling the difference between cultivars is difficult and I honestly have no clue where to start. Speaking of ID-ing DF cultivars my brother recently brought home some cuttings from a friends neighbor without any info about the DF. I have provided pics of the new cuttings next to the currently growing cuttings we gathered from the wild DF in Boca Raton. The noticeable difference is that the new cuttings are dark green, have 7 spines, and are thicker. Any help with cultivar ID is much appreciated.

New cutting on left in dark green.

Seven spines on new cutting.

Only four spines on wild boca raton find.

Looks like Sword Pear. My front yard is like a forest of the stuff. FL native. Stout, freestanding erect 'monstrosity' version of DF. Havent tried growing them on top of each other yet... Fruits can fill one hand, orange-red on inside, red on outside, much larger seeds than even Peruvian Apple Cactus. Flowers much smaller but kind of cooler looking. Really cool landscaping feature. Likes to get twisted all into stands of Palmettos.

I feel this species is way under-recognized / under-utilized. Grows like monsters here in FL. Strikingly similar to dragon fruit in appearance and such. Should be able to make some interesting grafting opportunities probably ideally as DF rootstock, but haven't gotten that far with experimenting with it yet...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:40:15 PM by MassSpectrum »

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 30, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »

All my trellises are made of pressure treated pine with burlap wrapped around the vertical post.

Dark Star this morning.

DM

rovha

• the nooby gardener
    • Portgal, madeira island, funchal, santo antonio, rua da quinta falcćo
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 31, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »
my reaction:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:58:42 AM by rovha »
Joćo David Abreu Sousa

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 31, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »

All my trellises are made of pressure treated pine with burlap wrapped around the vertical post.

Dark Star this morning.

DM

Wow those flowers are of beauty & smell so good at night, sometime I cant wait for my fruit to develop & steam the unopened young flower bud with steam pompano in a balsamic demi-glaze, delicious beside the fruit.
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Dante

• puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 02, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
I am new here and i need some help. I plan to use a 6 feet post and use a big pot. The fear i have is of the post  falling. Which is the best metod to hold the post in place against weight or weather(we got lots of hurricanes here in puerto rico). I dont think the dirt i use will be enough.

Ill am thinking of using a concrete block.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:07:51 PM by Dante »

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 13, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »
I am curious about using a tree stump.  I have an almond tree and a coconut tree that were cut off at 5-6 feet tall.  The plan is to run the DF vines up the stumps, but I am concerned that the tree stumps, especially the coconut will rot away and just when the vines get growing, and are heavy.  Should I abandon this notion, and cut down the stumps and just use PT lumber?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 13, 2014, 11:05:01 AM »
btw, for those who i promised cuttings to, i haven't forgetten about you.  I will mail them out soon.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: June 13, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »
I am new here and i need some help. I plan to use a 6 feet post and use a big pot. The fear i have is of the post  falling. Which is the best metod to hold the post in place against weight or weather(we got lots of hurricanes here in puerto rico). I dont think the dirt i use will be enough.

Ill am thinking of using a concrete block.

Hey Dante, made this out of 18" 1x4s with a 15 gal pot inside. The uprights are 2x2s:

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 13, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »
Bought a couple fruit from an Asian market in Orlando. Always a gamble cutting them open, and I was disappointed to see white inside. Whatever variety they were, they were completely bland/flavorless. Like a kiwi with no taste. I think we threw away half of the second one this morning as it wasn't't worth the effort.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 13, 2014, 02:12:32 PM »
Does your market have red fleshed fruits at all? If they do and dump them in the same pile, then you should look for the orange-skinned ones. The pink ones will be white. The markets near me have only white ones so I don't bother. After weeks of transport from Asia the fruit wouldhave used up what little sugar it had to begin with. Many white varieties do have some sugar when eaten off the vine. Unlike traditional fruits, they sugar down if you leave them for a while.

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 13, 2014, 03:39:54 PM »
I think we threw away half of the second one this morning as it wasn't't worth the effort.

How much effort is there in preparing Dragon fruit, slice it in half & scoop it out with a spoon. ;D
More effort than eating grapes, less than peeling & eating a banana.

DM

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 13, 2014, 03:54:37 PM »
more like... wasn't worth the caloric intake for eating something with no flavor. It was as bland as bland can be and nobody was really interested in eating it.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 13, 2014, 08:15:30 PM »
yeah those vietnamese jaina DFs give the fruit a bad rep
~Jeff

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 13, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »
My 'Physical Graffiti' stopped growing during the winter and well into the spring. I started watering it everyday, and it has finally pushed for new growth. However, the entire plant looks unhealthy, as it is light green and has light brown spots. What should I do?

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #592 on: June 13, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »
yeah those vietnamese jaina DFs give the fruit a bad rep

Apparently you have not tasted good white fleshed DF or don't like DF.

When I vacationed in Vietnam, Dragon Fruit was available at every hotel for breakfast. My wife and I ate it every morning and liked it.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 15, 2014, 01:23:04 AM »
Paul Thomson's hybrids:
- Halley's Comet
- Delight

There were some confusion about that but forum members with experience said they're different. I only have AZ purple.

MangCau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 15, 2014, 01:54:38 AM »
Paul Thomson's hybrids:
- Halley's Comet
- Delight

There were some confusion about that but forum members with experience said they're different. I only have AZ purple.
Adding to the confusion....Is voodoo child the same as American beauty and is home depot red DFvoodoo child?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 15, 2014, 02:10:43 AM »
american beauty is much larger than voodoo child
~Jeff

MassSpectrum

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 15, 2014, 07:26:38 AM »
My 'Physical Graffiti' stopped growing during the winter and well into the spring. I started watering it everyday, and it has finally pushed for new growth. However, the entire plant looks unhealthy, as it is light green and has light brown spots. What should I do?

You can apply vigor boosters such as Atonik, Chitosan and/or Brassinolide.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 15, 2014, 10:00:32 AM »
Dragonfruit responds well to fertilizers. They grow really well when it warms up and they also like a lot of water. My vines turn slightly yellowish in winter and get their color back when it warms up.

Simon

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #598 on: June 15, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »
Adding to the confusion....Is voodoo child the same as American beauty and is home depot red DFvoodoo child?

La Verne Nursery's "Red" (Home Depot and Lowe's) was one of the first Dragon Fruit I bought.

This year I already have 14 flower buds on my 4 year old plant and 6 flowers have opened in the last couple of days.

La Verne "Red" is Not self-fertile.

IMO, the plant and fruit resemble the named Dragon Fruit variety "Armando".

At the last Pitahaya Festival, there was talk that the Voodoo Child is close to S-8 "Sugar Dragon", but not the exact same plant.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 12:38:08 PM by ricshaw »

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 15, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »

La Verne Nursery's "Red" (Home Depot and Lowe's) was one of the first Dragon Fruit I bought.

This year I already have 14 flower buds on my 4 year old plant and 6 flowers have opened in the last couple of days.

La Verne "Red" is Not self-fertile.

IMO, the plant and fruit resemble the named Dragon Fruit variety "Armando".

At the last Pitahaya Festival, there was talk that the Voodoo Child is close to S-8 "Sugar Dragon", but not the exact same plant.

Hey Rickshaw, I think it was you who talked me into returning the La Verne red, appreciate it :) I ended up buying Haley's Comet and American Beauty. I have a couple cuttings of Haley if you or anyone in LA wants them.