Author Topic: Top 5 mangoes  (Read 34254 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Top 5 mangoes
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 03:20:30 AM »
Kurashige has in my opinion a very strong taste. A lot of people don't like it so much. Good thing about it is that it is resistant to brackish water.
Oscar
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 07:09:17 AM »
Based upon the word of Murahilin (I know, what was I thinking), I ontained a ST Maui mango which I planted out several months ago.  I got it from a Garden Web frequent poster (MangoKush) who has been conspicuous in his absense from this and the GW Forum for many months now.  I think he obtained it from Top Tropical and have no idea where they got it from or even if it is properly identified.  In Tops' description (I know, always reliable and right on the money), the flavor was described as guava-like.  That origianlly caused me to not have any interest in it.  When Murahilin extolled its virtues, I decided to pull the trigger on a trade.  So.....the tree is small and will not fruit until earliest, next season.  My understanding is that Campbell was calling it S T Maui and not Saint Maui.  He is certainly a more reliable source.  However, he also pronounces grocery as grosh-ery, Washington as War-shington and Dang Rasimi as Dang Rash-ami.  So, I do wonder if we have the name actually correct.  If the mango is good, then we can figure out the rest later.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »
Kurashige has in my opinion a very strong taste. A lot of people don't like it so much. Good thing about it is that it is resistant to brackish water.
Oscar

Yes, it definitely had a strong flavor and I could see how that could turn some people off to it. I also liked Mapulehu, which had a resinous note to it.

On St Maui, these are the notes I have from Dr. Campbell's comments:

- Fair production
-moderate fungus susceptibility
- good flavor but vigorous grower

Also, here's a picture I took of it at last summer's festival:

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »
I love the look of the S T Maui....thanks for posting the pic.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 09:00:28 PM »
I wouldn't assume that because it has the name Maui that it's really a Hawaiian cultivar. Is the Pope mango really developed by the Vatican?  :D  Seriously most Hawaiian introductions carry the name of a person, not a place name.
Oscar
Oscar

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
I wouldn't assume that because it has the name Maui that it's really a Hawaiian cultivar. Is the Pope mango really developed by the Vatican?  :D  Seriously most Hawaiian introductions carry the name of a person, not a place name.
Oscar

FTBG considers it a Hawaiian selection, or at least Richard Campbell included it in his discussion of mangoes of Hawaii.

This has me curious though because I can't find any literature about it in relation to Hawaiian mangoes, so I'm going to ask Dr. Campbell about its background.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »
Oscar

FTBG considers it a Hawaiian selection, or at least Richard Campbell included it in his discussion of mangoes of Hawaii.

This has me curious though because I can't find any literature about it in relation to Hawaiian mangoes, so I'm going to ask Dr. Campbell about its background.

Squam, yes please do ask Campbell who in Hawaii developed it? If it's from Hawaii it would be nice if they let Hawaiians know about it!  :o
Oscar
Oscar

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 10:03:56 PM »
Oscar,

talked with Richard Campbell about the ST Maui. He doesn't know what the initials stand for but says it did in fact come from Maui and was likely a part of the UH breeding program in the 70s...implied Dick Hamilton was involved with it. If he's still alive he would probably know about it.

Multiple people have told me it tastes like a combination of mango and passionfruit. Sounds interesting.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 01:58:08 AM »
Oscar,

talked with Richard Campbell about the ST Maui. He doesn't know what the initials stand for but says it did in fact come from Maui and was likely a part of the UH breeding program in the 70s...implied Dick Hamilton was involved with it. If he's still alive he would probably know about it.

Multiple people have told me it tastes like a combination of mango and passionfruit. Sounds interesting.

If ST Maui has really been around here that long it's rather odd that i've never heard of it, and that it's not in any of the UH literature, unless it was thought not worthwhile for some reason to distribute.
Oscar

Fiddlewood

• Zone 10a - Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
From my limited number of varieties tasted

! Edward
2 Carrie
3 Duncan
4 Keitt
5 Graham

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »
My Top 5 Mangoes-

I've tasted....ever.

1. Julie
2. Starch
3. Dot
4. NDM (regular)
5. Calabash

I've tasted from trees my yard  ;D

1. Julie
2. Dot
3. NDM (regular)
4. Pickering
5. Okrung

The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
Really like, the order on any given day would depend on the weather (and can also vary in order depending on my mood):

Pickering
Carrie
Keitt
Maha Chinok or NDM
Okrung

Tried a Pineapple Pleasure grown over at Zill's HPP and  it is was at the very bottom of my don't buy this tree list.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:28:26 PM by MarinFla »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
I have only tasted 5 mango cv's   :-[ :P

1. Home grown, Tommy
2. Rosa
3. Palmer
4. Haden
5. Keitt
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »
I would only ever vote for polys as they seem to be consistently better than the monos.

1 kwan
2 sam ru du
3 rabaul
4 kensington pride
5 okrung

My favorites do keep changing however.I have tasted some really bad mangoes I don't know the name of including reddy/purply ones from mexico.The types I have found most offensive or disappointing include brooks,palmer,keitt,kent and TA  and I suppose R2E2 is extemely ordinary as well.Oh yeah some turpentine stringies are bad news also.I won't blow it out to a dirty dozen.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »

There will be many millions of this variety of mango eaten in my home state in the next 4 months.I paid an outrageous 70c each for these yesterday as they are early season and the ones in the parks within a mile of my place need a few more weeks.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 07:30:16 PM »
I would only ever vote for polys as they seem to be consistently better than the monos.

1 kwan
2 sam ru du
3 rabaul
4 kensington pride
5 okrung

My favorites do keep changing however.I have tasted some really bad mangoes I don't know the name of including reddy/purply ones from mexico.The types I have found most offensive or disappointing include brooks,palmer,keitt,kent and TA  and I suppose R2E2 is extemely ordinary as well.Oh yeah some turpentine stringies are bad news also.I won't blow it out to a dirty dozen.

A few you mentioned I do not think I have never heard of them before , ( Kwan, Sam Ru Du, and Rabaul )  I looked up the Kwan, and it sounds similar to Golden Queen ( Chin Hwang ) could it be the same?

As for the ones you do not care for, kind of surprised to see Kent and Keitt there. not saying they are the best in the world, but hardly lousy.  Store bought fruit of almost any variety usually sucks.  and fruits imported usually go through some kind of treatment, and are sometimes picked too soon.

Palmer,  I have had mixed results, this year they were pretty bad, all the ones I had, suffered from jelly seed. and had un-even ripening.  Kent in the past were creamy and delicious. this year i could not find any.  Keitts I have had ranged from crappy to real good.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 07:53:10 PM »
William palmer,brooks,keitt and kent fetch the lowest prices in the markets and supermarkets refuse to stock them any more because of their unpopularity.Farmers are pulling out the trees and nursery sales of these are sluggish.Kwan is like a big improved Nam dok mai.Sam ru du is an all year fruiter much like a better tasting choc annon.Rabaul has several names including cedar bay and is of thai origin in the elephant tusk group.KP could well be the worlds most common variety all based on the number of trees in Australia from Darwin to Sydney but predominantly in a 1000 mile stretch of QLD. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »

There will be many millions of this variety of mango eaten in my home state in the next 4 months.I paid an outrageous 70c each for these yesterday as they are early season and the ones in the parks within a mile of my place need a few more weeks.

I have to admit that they look pretty darned good from the outside. The few that I have grown here have not looked nearly as appealing.  This will be my second crop this year, hopefully.  I am looking forward to seeing some better results this year in my yard.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »
My updated top 5, without newer Zills releases:

Maha Chanok
Angie
Edward
Spirit of 76
Nam Doc Mai Sia Tong - very interesting mango
Tim

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2012, 10:58:29 AM »
Hey Tim  :) . Care to elaborate on NDM Sai Tong vs. regular NDM differences? Some months back I read that (from Excalibur) the Sai Tong was just a bigger version of NDM but the taste were similair.
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
There is no real difference in taste with NDM and Siathong.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2012, 02:56:30 PM »
Hey Tim  :) . Care to elaborate on NDM Sai Tong vs. regular NDM differences? Some months back I read that (from Excalibur) the Sai Tong was just a bigger version of NDM but the taste were similair.

Its the color of the skin that is the big difference. Sia Tong turns bright yellow.  Flavor is very close.  For me, Sia Tong is considerably more productive than NDM.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2012, 06:15:32 PM »
Sia Tong may also split less than NDM, or at least NDM #4.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »
Thank you for the feedback gentlemen :) .
F*ck squirrels and deers

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »
from my somewhat limited experience I'm fond of:

Lemon Meringue
Glen
Rutledge
Tyler (carrie lovers other option!)
southern blush

and many more!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com