Author Topic: Sigatoka treatments??  (Read 1411 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Sigatoka treatments??
« on: October 03, 2018, 06:15:26 PM »
My bananas are getting devastated by what I believe is sigatoka fungus.  Once the plant fruits, it of course stops making leaves, then the leaves are dying before the bananas can mature. 

Anyone had good results with a fungicide?  I'd prefer no harsh chemicals of course. 

Copper fungicides?

I'm not opposed to replanting with a more resistant plant.  So far, my apple bananas seem to be doing well.

Thanks. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Sigatoka treatments??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 11:04:56 PM »
Plant only the cleanest material you can find. Plant resistant varieties or the most vigorous varieties.  Keep trees actively growing and healthy. Remove all infected leaves and all old leaves promptly. Many people's bananas look like they are wearing a hula skirt which are really flags full of spores on the wind. I never tried sprays but the references say copper fungicides.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »
Plant only the cleanest material you can find. Plant resistant varieties or the most vigorous varieties.  Keep trees actively growing and healthy. Remove all infected leaves and all old leaves promptly. Many people's bananas look like they are wearing a hula skirt which are really flags full of spores on the wind. I never tried sprays but the references say copper fungicides.

I walk my mats at least once a week to remove dead, damaged, or "spotty" material.  This week I purchased a digging rod and began to thin out the mats appropriately.  Lots of water, mulch, and potassium too. 

Bruce - Having seen your trees I would say they might appreciate being thinned out.  As you mentioned copper and also some micronutrients would help.
- Marley

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 06:42:12 AM »
I agree with the thinning, it’s more work than I wanted to do, but it needs to be done. I also need to move the dwarfs further away from the tall plants.

BTW, one of my cocoa trees has about half dozen cocoa pods on it and it’s still blooming 
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 08:41:28 AM »
I agree with the thinning, it’s more work than I wanted to do, but it needs to be done. I also need to move the dwarfs further away from the tall plants.

BTW, one of my cocoa trees has about half dozen cocoa pods on it and it’s still blooming

I purchased a post hole tamp/digging bar from Harbor Frieght in Bonita for $27 and it makes quick work of any size banana tree without damaging the main corm.  The tool is a godsend and makes maintenance MUCH easier.  https://www.harborfreight.com/17-lb-digging-bar-with-tamper-93612.html

Great to hear about the cocoa!
- Marley

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 06:22:58 PM »

I purchased a post hole tamp/digging bar from Harbor Frieght in Bonita for $27 and it makes quick work of any size banana tree without damaging the main corm.  The tool is a godsend and makes maintenance MUCH easier.  https://www.harborfreight.com/17-lb-digging-bar-with-tamper-93612.html

Great to hear about the cocoa!
I really like my fiberglass drain shovel I've had for 20 years. Because it's not a thrusting tool you can more carefully place it to get the suckers off, it has a good handle and a foot rest you can step on to get a cut just right.
Here is the type:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Short-Handle-Fiberglass-Drain-Spade/50299987

Some banana/plantains sucker much more than others, some very few. I've got many Orinoco and each one makes 6-8 suckers very quickly. They really need taken off early on within 6 months or so before they get so big it's a major excavation to dig out a 10" stump.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. With 5 banana stands, I have some work to do.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk