Author Topic: Coconut cream with serious bark damages shipped from a Florida nursery  (Read 985 times)

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
I ordered a 7 gal coconut cream from Jim Barrett’s nursery after reading some good reviews about the nursery here. I received the CC yesterday with some serious bark damages which looked gummosis to me. I am afraid this CC will die of a slow death. I never thought a nursery or someone could ship a diseased tree across the country knowingly. I sent these pic to the nursery and waiting for their response. I paid with PayPal and there is some hope in recovering payment if the nursery is reluctant to ship a healthy tree. I saved the box so it could be shipped back. Does the tree have a chance to be healthy and survive down the road?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
It looks like physical damage or past sunburn damage. Healthy trees can recover from damage like that but it would require extra care as the damaged areas can be an entry point for microorganisms and termites down the road. I would request another tree or work out a deal with the nursery.

Simon

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
I think it will be just find.  You could always put tree wound on it.  I'd let the nursery know and see what they say.  At least you will have informed them right away in case things do go south down the road.  But I agree with Simon, the tree looks healthy and should recover on its own.  It's a nice looking tree by-the-way.  Good luck.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Hi,
I am so sorry that they sent you trees with some disease.
I was the one who recommended this nursery, since me and my other friends been ordered many mango trees from them and all arrived in excellent condition.
I do not have experience in treating tree with this disease, but I have a cell phone number of one of the customer service. She is usually responsive. Let me know if they contact you back or if you need the cell number.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Hey palingkecil, no worries, it's not your fault. They did pack the CC well and shipped quickly. It would have been a nice specimen if it didn't come with serious bark damages. It is already hard to grow mangoes in Southern California, any trees with slightest disease just doesn't make past wet winter here. I have been sold and shipped 3 gal as 7 gal,7 gal as 15 gal before but never a tree with visible bark damages. This is a first for me. I already have a 15 gal sized CC which didn't hold any fruits this year so wanted to add more because of how shy of bearer CC is. I am waiting to hear from the seller for my options, may be they are away for the long weekend.

Simon and TropicalFruitHunters, thanks for your input. I am sure it would heal and do well under Florida weather, but it will be a gamble to try to keep it alive in SoCal.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I would not put any sealer on those wounds.  Mangoes are very good at compartmentalizing so chances are it will survive and grow through it.

As far doing well in SoCal, not sure getting a CC on Turpentine was the best move.

As far as your 15 gal not fruiting, CC are nit a precocious variety.  I think keeping it in a poat may only exacerbate the difficulty in fruiting
- Rob

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
My Lemon Zest tree had similar damage to that. It struggled for a couple years until I eventually pruned below the damage. The tree recovered beautifully

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk