Author Topic: Florida grown Keitts early this year?  (Read 2469 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Florida grown Keitts early this year?
« on: June 03, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »
I am debating picking the Keitt mangoes from the tree in FL. I have never had home grown mangoes, just wanted to know if it was way to early. The mangoes are quite large definitely the size at least of the CA grown keitt (2 pound or so on a approximately 5yr old tree), with red blush on 25-30% of the skin.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:38:58 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Florida grown Keitts early this year?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:41:45 PM »
Most likely too early.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 11:47:16 PM »
gosh, and I would say picking one is worth the chance!
Sounds to me like there's enough ripening already.....

Fang

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »
My Keitt mangos are beginning to ripen. This is really weird and very early in the year. I remember when some years I could pick a ripening fruit at the beginning of December. Nature can be so unpredictable.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 02:49:05 AM »
Last year, I didn't see Keitts around here, until after July.  this year, the season has been completely out of whack,  I began seeing them in supermarkets,  in March !  so do not know whats going on.

Had one a couple days ago, that must have been one of the best mangoes I ever eatan, seems to be a lot of variability in quality in that variety, some can be a bit more fibrous and less flavorful than others, but that one I had on Sat. was virtually fiberless, and super sweet, with lots of flavor, wish they were all like that.  but now I know that genetically speaking they have that potential.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:21:07 AM »
I visited Zill's yesterday and they had some keitts that had dropped...Walter wasn't sure if they would ripen up so he let me take couple to find out...He thought they may be a little early too...Will let you know if mine ripens anytime soon

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
I would give them a few more weeks. 

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
I am debating picking the Keitt mangoes from the tree in FL. I have never had home grown mangoes, just wanted to know if it was way to early. The mangoes are quite large definitely the size at least of the CA grown keitt (2 pound or so on a approximately 5yr old tree), with red blush on 25-30% of the skin.

Stephen, did you move??

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 06:41:47 PM »
I visited Zill's yesterday and they had some keitts that had dropped...Walter wasn't sure if they would ripen up so he let me take couple to find out...He thought they may be a little early too...Will let you know if mine ripens anytime soon

If the fruits "shoulders" have filled out, they will ripen just fine. I once asked a commercial grower how they knew when to pick Keitt,  because they do not tree ripen them,  in that variety, you can tell by the shoulders, top part by the stem, one that fills out the fruit is mature.  I have had a Keitt on the kitchen counter almost a month, before it ripened.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk