Author Topic: Name that citrus.  (Read 1679 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Name that citrus.
« on: October 28, 2018, 09:17:23 PM »
I went to J.C. Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, NC today to see their Dunstan citrumelo and citradia trees. The Dunstan was obviously Dunstan. However, the “citradia “ which they seem to have misspelled “ poncirus trifoliata x citrus auranticum” looks like Swingle citrumelo to me. I’ve never seen actual citradia fruit before, so I can’t judge. The photos I’ve seen of it online vary greatly. I’ve seen long lumpy sour oranges before, but photos of sour oranges such as Seville seem smooth and round. Could this pear-shaped yellow fruit be a form of citradia?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 01:05:13 PM by Citradia »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Name that citrus.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 11:34:48 PM »
More pics of the arboretum’s “citradia “.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 12:03:14 AM »
You should contact them. It's likely that they made a mistake.
There are also a few different cultivars of citradia.

The best way to be more certain is to cut it open. Swingle looks a little more grapefruit-like inside (still orange but kind of a pale white-yellow orange). Citradias look a bit more orange-like.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 12:13:49 AM by SoCal2warm »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »
I called the arboretum and all they could tell me was that the trees were obtained from Woodlanders (I’ve bought citradia from them before) and that they were planted in 2009. I’ve called Woodlanders and left a message inquiring where they obtained the seeds. To be continued. Maybe.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 10:17:36 AM »
I was just to Woodlanders about a month ago. The wife and I took a Saturday drive up to Aiken.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »
Laaz, that’s great. I went there this spring for open house and came home with an old garden rose bush and a native witch hazel. I saw no citrus growing on the property, although I may have missed something, so I assume he got seeds from somewhere. Any idea where he may have acquired the citradia seeds? I called and left a message but received no reply yet.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 10:21:35 PM »
No idea, Have you tried Stan?

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 07:16:53 AM »
I’ve not sent him a personal email. Guess I should. Thanks. I really think it’s Swingle though. After research, I think the only way it could be poncirus x aurantium is if the aurantium half was bergamot since they can be yellow and pear shaped. I wonder if anyone else has got any fruit off of a Woodlanders “citradia “.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 01:06:47 PM by Citradia »