Author Topic: Moringa plant and seeds  (Read 8849 times)

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Moringa plant and seeds
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:26:14 AM »
I am looking for a source for moringa plants and seeds, Florida source preferred ,please let me know,Thanks Mike  P.S. I would like a wholesale source if possible!

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Moringa plant and seeds
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »
Check this out, 100 seeds for $5.59 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Moringa-100-Oleifera-seeds/dp/B004NKXZUK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1355697270&sr=8-10&keywords=Moringa+oleifera

I ordered some last week and planted some yesterday. Obviously, no germination yet, but the Amazon reviews are very positive. I have at least 70 seeds left. If you want them they are yours.

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »
echonet.org would be a good source. They are located in Fort Myers.

Erica

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »
Thank you guys. Mike

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »
In India Moringa oleifera Cv PKM1 developed by Tamilnadu Agricultural University fruits within 8 months.Very small tree or shrub.I can send for other  fruit seeds.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:57:52 PM »
Ah man, I had a few seeds and even a plant I could have given you ( both PKM1 and Regular ) but I am back in the DR now.

I did plant a couple PKM-1 seedlings at my mothers house.

By the way I got my seeds from a member here that sells on Ebay.  Carraig  ( ambers_edibles ) they sprouted in 6-7 days.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
Hi,
Does anybody know how long does moringa seeds remain viable?
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
Moringa seeds stored in airtight,polythene bag will remain viable for 10-12 months.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 05:56:08 AM »
Moringa seeds stored in airtight,polythene bag will remain viable for 10-12 months.

Hi Roy,
Thanks for answering my question. I stored a few seeds of PKM-1 for planting in-situ in Spring, so that the tap root doesn't get bothered during planting :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 07:51:24 PM »
I have planted 1,000 seeds of Moringa Oleifera and am waiting for Moringa Stenopetala seeds to arrive soon.
Currently growing two PKM-1 seedlings courtesy of a great friend on this Forum who may wish to stay anonymous...
Trees will be available this spring.
Peace and keep in mind that the market will soon be flooded with MORINGA!!!!!
A great tree with many benefits!
Happy New Year. ;D
Jason "Pepe"
http://www.bestmoringatrees.com

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
I don't really get much call for it, my next door neighbor was looking for it,one of the forum members was kind enough to send me a bunch of seeds,so we will see what sprouts. AT least my neighbor was thrilled to get some seeds, have a great day.

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
Mike it is growing rapidly in popularity. I spoke to some major nurseries in Homestead and they are also planting   thousands of seeds. Plenty of room for eveyone. Just making a point about how the market can quickly change as fads die out. This plant is so easy to grow anyone can do it?
Peace an best wishes.

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 06:16:00 AM »
Mike it is growing rapidly in popularity. I spoke to some major nurseries in Homestead and they are also planting   thousands of seeds. Plenty of room for eveyone. Just making a point about how the market can quickly change as fads die out. This plant is so easy to grow anyone can do it?
Peace an best wishes.
Understand, I just haven't got any calls on it yet,maybe down the road that will change, this time of year while things are slow not too many calls on anything, maybe interst will pick up in the spring. Have a great day. Mike

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 06:31:19 AM »
Peace an best wishes.
Understand, I just haven't got any calls on it yet,maybe down the road that will change, this time of year while things are slow not too many calls on anything, maybe interst will pick up in the spring. Have a great day. Mike
I think a lot may depend on your clientele.  I have noticed a somewhat "high demand" from certain cultures/nationalities.
- Rob

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 07:15:58 AM »
Peace an best wishes.
I think a lot may depend on your clientele.  I have noticed a somewhat "high demand" from certain cultures/nationalities.
True,very true.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
Mostly the Latin market,  recently there was alot of buzz, because Castro and then Chavez, mentioned they were taking Moringa. for its medicinal properties.

here in the DR we have moringa "fever" people started selling it on street corners, even a musical group is called Moringa something or another.

FAD, aside, I think it is a very useful tree to have around.  not just for its nutritional or medicinal value, but as a agroforestry tree,  its good as green manure, grows super fast, is drought tolerant,  and we haven't even gotten to the pods yet.   in some countries, its the Pods, that are sought after.   this is why hybrid varieties like the PKM-1 were developed, for pod production.

I tried finding dried Moringa powder locally in Fla. and could not find any, not even in Whole Earth foods, or Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin world etc. I had to order it from Amazon.  Amazing because one would think that in the few places it could grow in the US ( S. Fla ) one would expect to find it there.

Some outfit advertising on craiglist, is now promoting Moringa for commercial production, and they say that you can make about a 100K a year per acre,  Moringa powder sells for 12 bucks a pound.   I did a little research into that 12 bucks a pound, and it does seem to be the going wholesale rate.   of course I have no idea how much it would cost to produce that one pound of dry powder,  but locally they are using solar dryers for dry the leaves,  so its mostly labor costs.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

carraig

• View Profile
    • Amber's Edibles
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 01:02:12 AM »
We have both regular Moringa oleifera the PKM-1 cultivar for both individual sales and bulk sales.  I have dealt with many on the forum.  We have over 500 100% positive reviews on Ebay under username ambers_edibles and guarantee the germination of our Moringa.  Seeds ship from within the USA and usually arrive in under a week.

Message me or check out the Ebay listings for more information.

NOTE: PKM-1 seeds look the same as regular Moringa seeds. Buy from a trustworthy source...

Regards,
Carraig