Author Topic: Pruning mango tree branches without fruit  (Read 1160 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Pruning mango tree branches without fruit
« on: June 05, 2019, 08:46:50 AM »

A question for the mango experts: Can mango tree branches without fruits be pruned when other parts of the tree still are holding on to fruit? Will it adversely affect the tree in any way? Please advise.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Pruning mango tree branches without fruit
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:29:07 AM »
If it's not more than a small percentage of total tree canopy or if you're cutting branches that the tree is already starting to self-prune (eg, shaded branches), I doubt it would have a negative impact. Otherwise, I would wait til post harvest.  Leaves are a nutrient store, and forcing new growth would likely divert nutrients to new leaves vs fruits.
Jeff  :-)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 11:42:06 AM »

Thanks, Jeff. My Kesar, Mallika and Bailey's Marvel usually produce really well but this has been an off year for all three, with less than 10 fruits on each. I thought about pruning the trees early so that they push new growth two or three times before October, in time for the next mango season.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 11:54:38 AM »
Funny to see this question. Was told you can prune some on a fruiting tree that has the fruit pretty close to maturity,  just not to go crazy. Just don't remember if it was Walter or Gary Zill who gave me the info during conversations this week. Said it helps to just get ahead on the pruning if you are trying to maintain tree size under control.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 04:35:32 PM »

Thanks, Jeff. My Kesar, Mallika and Bailey's Marvel usually produce really well but this has been an off year for all three, with less than 10 fruits on each. I thought about pruning the trees early so that they push new growth two or three times before October, in time for the next mango season.
My Beverly has 1 fruit and was pushing new growth.
I cut it back severely, took off about a third of the canopy.
It is still growing on the branches I spared but is a smaller tree now.