Author Topic: When to pick Valencia oranges?  (Read 1163 times)

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
When to pick Valencia oranges?
« on: July 14, 2019, 02:52:41 AM »
What’s the best month to pick Valencia oranges? I have a tree that’s giving me its second harvest since I’ve had it in the ground. I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern California. I made orenge juice with some of the oranges about 2 weeks ago and unfortunately it wasn’t sweet at all.
Nate

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
Re: When to pick Valencia oranges?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 10:56:02 AM »
No expert here, but with our Hamlin tree, we just sample them, and when they are good, we pick them.  Probably hard to predetermine a specific time frame to pick, with all the variables involved.

Hil

• Spain, 10a
    • View Profile
    • New Vidas
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 11:39:09 AM »
Here in Spain the Valencia oranges get picked from March until June. Except for Valencia Late, picking for that one starts 1.5 month later. When left hanging on the tree too long they first lose taste and eventually get dry.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
Variety data from UCR citrus fact says it ripens from March - July. But I have a few adult Valencia trees and it varies, some fruits ripen early (May) and others are still green now.
Best thing is to wait until its gets a nice yellow/orange color, then its ready. You can sample one as mentioned above to see if it taste sweet.