Author Topic: I need expert mango advice please help  (Read 1592 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
I need expert mango advice please help
« on: May 17, 2018, 06:21:19 PM »
I have 2 Cotton Candy mango trees that were 3 gallon plants before they went into the ground about 1 year ago and they have that yellowish sickly color and when they produce leaves they get black blotches on the edges and everywhere else. For many months they’ve gotten special care with regular fertigation and terrific micro nutrients. I have 2 gorgeous vigorous Fruit Punch trees in 3 gallon pots and a nice healthy 1 gallon Sweet Tart in reserve that I can replace the Candy Cottons with.
Here’s the questions:
Should I pull the Candy’s out and replace them with the 2 Fruit ouches or 1 Fruit Punch and 1 Little Sweet Tart or should I wait for the sickly Candy Cottons to come around?
Today I had a similar situation with 2 Sweet Tarts and a Juicy Peach but I had those varieties for replacements. I wish I could get my hands on 2 more Candy Cottons but it seems the supply everywhere starting with Zill will be gone for quite awhile.
So what do you think I should do? Are fruit Punch as highly ranked as Cotton Candy?
I have never tasted either one.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: I need expert mango advice please help
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:58:36 PM »
Regarding taste, CC is top tier. Top 5. FP makes my top 30.

Pictures of the problems will help others help you solve it.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 09:33:08 PM »
I am curious you said the fruit punch are doing great in pots? Were the Cotton candy doing
well before you put them in the ground?  You may have an issue with your soil or water?
You can have both tested very easily and I wish I would have done this allot sooner then I
did. I would switch to rain water and quit fertilizing. You can apply copper fungicide on the
cotton candy trees. I wouldn't put the potted trees in the ground until you figure out what's
effecting your cotton candy trees. Do you have other larger mangos now in the ground?
Don't worry you will be able to replace the cotton candy trees eventually if these two trees
crash. You definitely need to figure out why they crashed. I have been living at my house for
7+ years and I have had issues with certain trees including mangos and I had my water tested and
I have high salt which explains allot. Luckily I have an abandoned shallow well on my property.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »
You should find out what was wrong with your Cotton Candy tree so you can prevent it from happening to your other trees.

A picture will be very useful.

Is it only your in ground trees that are suffering or are your potted trees affected also?

Simon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 11:48:06 AM »
Regarding taste, CC is top tier. Top 5. FP makes my top 30.

Pictures of the problems will help others help you solve it.

I agree. I think fruit punch is a nice Mango but not on that elite level with Cotton Candy.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 12:43:48 PM »
First I want to thank you all for your answers which opened my eyes to things that I haven’t thought of before. I have almost 200 mango trees inground for 18 months or less. All were bought as healthy as can be from Zill High Performance.
I have 15 Candy Cottons and I would say that this variety has been the most slow getting started of all the varieties I have from Zill. Out of 15, 5 haven’t popped with new growth until recently. The other Candy Cottons are acting perfectly normal. The two I was asking for advice on went into spots where I previously had citrus trees I had to remove because of Greening. So the soil in those areas may contain matter that is screwing with the new mango trees. For example there may be excessive perlite which would affect the water balance. There might still be some of my 12 month sustained release citrus fertilizer. And I may have too much salt down below from all the old fertilizers as well as my over fertigation trying to get the trees healthy. And when combined with our 3 month drought and all the hose watering I had to do and that contains chlorine, I may have made those young trees Ill myself. Again, I thought of these things cause of your comments.  So I’m going to wait and see if all this rain we’re getting washed out all the problems I’m speculating I caused and I’ll see how it goes. In the last few days the light green seems to be darkening a bit. Hopefully the rain will make it continue. And I’m glad you told me that Cotton Candy is a top tier because now I must wait because that makes it worth waiting for.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk