Author Topic: Is my carrie mango a goner?  (Read 1816 times)

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
Is my carrie mango a goner?
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:45:33 AM »
I have three mango trees in-ground that were damaged in a weird cold front here in Orlando. Two have sprouted back out like champs in the last few weeks -- I'll have robust trees again in no time. However, I have a 2 year old Carrie that isn't sprouting back at all yet. It does have some green nodes on the trunk nnow but they don't seem to be in a hurry with turning into leaves. Is the tree a goner do you think or do some varieties just take longer to recover?  If there is extensive bark damage and a few patches of living tissue, is it worth it to continue with this tree or just start over?  THanks.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Is my carrie mango a goner?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »

The green nodes are a promising sign.  However, it would be be better to plant another tree if there is extensive bark damage. You could even think about  replacing the Carrie, which has had a dip in productivity over the last 3 seasons all over South Florida, with Angie, which tastes similar to a Carrie and is more productive. I have both trees; my 8-year old Carrie  flowered heavily but the fruit set is disappointing. Angie, just 3 years old from a 7-gallon, is holding on to a lot more mangoes.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:26:49 AM »
If you're lucky she's a goner! one of the worst mango's EVER
That's my opinion and i could be wrong
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:00:01 PM by FRUITBOXHERO »
Joe

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »

The green nodes are a promising sign.  However, it would be be better to plant another tree if there is extensive bark damage. You could even think about  replacing the Carrie, which has had a dip in productivity over the last 3 seasons all over South Florida, with Angie, which tastes similar to a Carrie and is more productive. I have both trees; my 8-year old Carrie  flowered heavily but the fruit set is disappointing. Angie, just 3 years old from a 7-gallon, is holding on to a lot more mangoes.

This is good advice.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »
What do you think of Valcarrie?

Mine is setting fruit for the first time this year and it looks pretty heavy. I’m 10 miles inland and had a lot of fungus issues during warm wet February but the Valcarrie pannicles  have remained completely free of fungus.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:34:54 PM by PurpleAlligator »

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 11:56:12 AM »
What do you think of Valcarrie?

Mine is setting fruit for the first time this year and it looks pretty heavy. I’m 10 miles inland and had a lot of fungus issues during warm wet February but the Valcarrie panicked have remained completely free of fungus.

I have it topworked on one of my trees and it is holding a sizable number of fruits. I love the flavor. A very underrated mango, in my opinion.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 04:42:17 PM »
BEST mango ever! Keep the faith! And stick with your Zill selected Carrie tree. A 1940s Zill selection. Carie is so good you should buy another for backup in case yours fizzles out.

"The original tree was grown on the property of Laurence H. Zill in Boynton Beach, Florida and was reportedly a seedling of the 'Sophie Fry' mango." Wikipedia entry by Squam  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_(mango)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:44:01 PM by zands »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 10:02:22 PM »
Many years ago I was in exactly the same situation and actually cut back the tree with the intent of uprooting and replacing.  Some things came up and I did not get to it for a couple of weeks.  When I was ready to pull the tree I saw it had sprouted.  I let it bee and it grew into a fine tree.  It was essentially an unintended pug, induced by severe cold.

I say give it some time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk