Author Topic: When is a Giant Granadilla Ripe?  (Read 5320 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
When is a Giant Granadilla Ripe?
« on: October 18, 2013, 07:19:59 PM »
My first giant granadilla are ripening now.  What are some ways to learn if it's ripe?  Will they fall off the vine when ripe, similar to passion fruit?

Another vine-fruit question:  What kind of squash is this?  What is a good way to prepare it for the table? Someone gave me some seeds a few months ago.

Thanks.   -John
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:31:20 PM by jcaldeira »
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

plantlover13

• View Profile
Re: When is a Giant Granadilla Ripe?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »
My first giant granadilla are ripening now.  What are some ways to learn if it's ripe?  Will they fall off the vine when ripe, similar to passion fruit?

Another vine-fruit question:  What kind of squash is this?  What is a good way to prepare it for the table? Someone gave me some seeds a few months ago.

Thanks.   -John

no clue about granadilla, but the second one looks like a dudhi squash or bottle gourd or whatever regional name you happen to be using. If it is the edible type, it's eaten unripe and cooked.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »
The first one is the squat or short version of P.quadrangularis (to 1.5kg) and the giant/long version tastes very similar but hey are considered the same species.A lady's stocking over it keeps the pests away.The aroma developing will let you know it is ready to pick.
The second gourd gets called marrow in my area.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 12:25:13 AM »
The second picture, we call it opo(Lagenaria siceraria) ,but other names include long melon/bottle gourd. The rounder ones are known as calabash gourd. But they come in many shapes and sizes. Slice thinly into small pieces or cube into bit size chunks and stir fried is very good, but I actually preferred them in soups, makes the broth quite sweet and refreshing. That one looks ready for consumption, any bigger and they are a little to hard seeded/mature for eating purpose and might as will let them hang on the vine till fully mature/harden skin. But an easy way to tell, is look at the skin color, if it's kinda whitish/light green color, it is a bit to mature(still edible though). If it's still bright green, it's perfect. You can even consume at a smaller size 8"-12" The young leaf tips can be eaten as well. It has fine hair all over the vines/leaves, but once cooked, you won't notice. Though, it's a musky plant and some people don't like a musky smelling dish, even when cooked. It's still good eating though. If you rub a leaf between your fingers or along the vines, you'll notice the musky odor strengthens and how slippery it is.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 12:56:01 AM »
Thanks.   -John

No the giant passionfruit will not fall when ripe. If you don't pick them they will rot on the vine. Once they get large size look for slight change in color, a bit more brownish, and they will loose their shininess when ripe. You have to keep a close eye on them as rats love to eat exterior. They're smart because in fact exterior is edible, tasting similar to zucchini when cooked.
Oscar

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 06:24:44 AM »
We boil tender leaves of bottle gourd plant and prepare curries.Even tender flowers can be fried and eaten.We mostly cook tender bottle gourd fruit and eat as curry.Please do not drink bottle gourd fruit juice as it is poisonous.Anything raw from this vegetable is harmful.Only cooking renders it  fit for human consumption.

Roy