Author Topic: Doing my first graft this week (Avri loquat)  (Read 1843 times)

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Doing my first graft this week (Avri loquat)
« on: February 27, 2018, 07:26:58 AM »
I'll be attempting my first graft later this week attaching an Avri scion to a in ground loquat seedling I planted last spring. My original plan was to have multiple seedlings in case of failure but only one of five seeds sprouted so I only get one chance. I've been reading everything I can last few days on grafting. Until the scions come in I won't know how the size will match up with the rootstock so I'm undecided on method at this point. I am looking for advice especially on the graft location of this seedling. Well hardened off area, or newer wood but not fully hardened off or really fresh growth as the seedling is currently flushing. Any advice on anything would be great. Thanks. Pics:

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Doing my first graft this week (Avri loquat)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
Even if your graft fails you'll most likely get another chance by way of sucker .
I would cut the rootstock right below the 2 bottom leaves and cleft graft.

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:49:56 PM »
Corey,

Make a cut on the young shoot and do a cleft. It will heal very fast if you graft scion onto young wood.
See picture below, make sure you keep removing suckers sprouting from you rootstock. Good luck.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:55:09 PM by socal10b »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »
If you do side veneers, you can put on several grafts. Younger wood is easier to graft but avoid new flushes. Cleft grafts are usually easier but in your situation, I would go with the side veneer unless you are new to grafting.

Simon

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »
 You could always cut the rootstock right below the 2 bottom leaves and cleft graft.
Then you don't have 5+ potential sucker branching sites below your graft. Grafting lower also ensures you have thicker wood to work with which is easier to graft. It's like any graft, the higher on the trunk you put it, the more chance of rootstock suckering below.

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
Interesting hearing the different ideas. Simon this is my first attempt ever. Socal10b is the supplier of bud wood so I'm really giving weight to his idea. I can easily watch for sucker shoots. This tree has already put out numerous suckers in the last few weeks that I took out. It's wanting to grow aggressively. Temps in a few days are going to dip to upper 40's at night with highs in 70's. It appears this will last three to four days. We just went through a record shattering February heat wave where night time temps were almost always above 60 for the whole month. Does this cold front effect the timing of this graft? No worries or wait a week for over night lows to get back above 55?  Thanks for all the input.

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »
I just noticed Simon suggests to avoid new flushes while Socal10b recommended a cleft graft on the new flush. I having no experience don't know which is right. Any other thoughts to this issue?

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 09:31:29 PM »
My Avri loquat graft was a success. It's growing well.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »
My Avri loquat graft was a success. It's growing well.

Congratulations !
Did you graft the scion to rootstock in the ground or plant later. I also did a graft
after you kindly gave me SoCal's info and my graft took for about a month and failed.
I was giving the graft a couple hours of morning sun only and wondered if that was the cause?
It pushed some leaves and looked great and then it collapsed. The rootstock was in a one gallon
Thanks   

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 10:31:39 PM »
My rootstock was in ground. It had been growing one year. Lots of sun. It flushed quickly and kept going putting out two branches already. Sorry to hear about your failed graft.