Author Topic: Any Rec's for Persimmons and PawPaws?  (Read 2053 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Any Rec's for Persimmons and PawPaws?
« on: October 13, 2017, 09:41:54 PM »
Just did a fruit tasting with my kid's and they liked Persimmons.  We tried Fuyu, but I read that astringent types can have a better taste.  Does anyone have a variety they recommend?

Also, looking for recommendations on Pawpaw varieties.  There are quite a few.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Any Rec's for Persimmons and PawPaws?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »
I have jam out of wild/native persimmon and once ripe, I think the taste is just as good as Japanese varieties, just smaller fruit, but is native. My favorite paw paw is Rebecca's Gold; large yellowish fruit matures a little earlier than my local native varieties. Another good one is Prolific; makes a lot of large round fruit with firmer flesh that's easier to spoon out of skin for making jam. You have to process paw paw fruit fast before it goes bad. Keeps up to a week or longer in refrigerator.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:33:27 PM »
I also prefer astringent persimmons. Haven’t had a fuyu that I’ve liked. No flavor just sweet.
I recent bought a Prok persimmon but have not tasted the fruit.
Cliff England (nuttrees.net)has several varieties.

If I had to list I think the most tried and true pawpaws for quality I would go for:
Shenandoah
Susquehanna
Sunflower
Overleese
NC-1

Jerry’s Big Girl just won best pawpaw at Ohio Pawpaw Festival. I think only Cliff England sells this. (Shenandoah won second)

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »
For me best is Nikitas Gift (X) very cold hardy not too big but sweet fruits with rum flavor. Persimons with bigger fruits here - Buyu, Kaukaz, Buffalo Heart and Chong Pjong (Korean columnar variety) - all adstrigent.
I have about 15 varietes of Pawpaws, but the best is one seedling with very sweet fruits with light seeds and firm pulp with vanilla taste. Very good fruits are from Overleese and Pensylvania Golden 1 (it has taste like caramel) 8)