Author Topic: The Maha Chanok Mango From Fruitscapes!  (Read 12046 times)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
The Maha Chanok Mango From Fruitscapes!
« on: July 07, 2016, 02:33:12 PM »

This is a great Tasting Mango!  Now i know what Jeff is referring too, The Coca Cola Syrup Flavor!

Digging SW FL!

Ed
Zone 10

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: The Maha Chanok Mango From Fruitscapes!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »

This is a great Tasting Mango!  Now i know what Jeff is referring too, The Coca Cola Syrup Flavor!

Digging SW FL!

Ed
Digging to plant trees yet?
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 10:30:59 AM »
Either your hand is HUGE or that is one small Mahachanok.
- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 05:32:48 PM »
Rob they are small,  Steve planted 26 Maha he said they are 3 years Old.,  Today i picked up some LZ Mangos!!

Ed

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:35:35 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 05:51:25 PM »
Rob they are small,  Steve planted 26 Maha he said they are 3 years Old.,  Today i picked up some LZ Mangos!!

Ed

Thise LZ need to be put back on the tree.  They werent ready to be picked.
- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 06:08:59 PM »
$4 per LBS I hope they taste ok.
Ed
Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »
Ed

Holy mackerel,  thats expensive.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 08:56:30 PM »
Tell Steve to put his own LZ pix on his webpage and take my down. I did not authorize him and I told Jesse last year 

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 09:13:52 PM »
Dont know him personally,  I would give him a call.

Ed
Zone 10

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 09:14:48 PM »
Ed

$20 for 7 Mangos 😄
Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 09:23:31 PM »
Ed

$20 for 7 Mangos 😄

Ag $4/pound, those LZ must have been on the small side, too.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 09:53:51 PM »
Dont know him personally,  I would give him a call.

Ed

I told that to his face steve wasn't around and Jesse promise he would remove them. The Valencia pride is also my pic

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 10:32:49 PM »
Wow thats crazy Jeff,  They have tons of Mango Fruit why not take their own pics? 
Thats Wierd. .

Ed
Zone 10

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 12:58:54 AM »
Ed

$20 for 7 Mangos 😄

Ag $4/pound, those LZ must have been on the small side, too.

Nope, saw his bucket of them today.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 08:16:58 AM »
Wow, $4 a lb, that's crazy!! There's a person a few blocks from me selling mangoes from their yard for 50 cents each and some of them weigh 12 ounces!!

I know the feeling of people using other people's pictures and posting them on their ads or website...they use my pic for my dessert rose all the time too *sigh*

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 05:33:15 PM »
For people who want to know true accurate info on LZ, here goes...

The fruit normally weigh 1+ pounds each (what Ed got were on average .7 of a pound each, which is definitely on the smallish side).  For reference, i weighed an immature drop from my tree that was the second smallest on the tree (the smallest is a nubbin).  I picked a fre today that were average in size, all at or above 1.25 pounds each.

But hey, what do I know, I am completely new to this mango thing.  Feel free to trust what I say, or listen to someone making off the wall cooments and says recommends harveating Pickering when green.
- Rob

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 05:57:45 PM »
For people who want to know true accurate info on LZ, here goes...

The fruit normally weigh 1+ pounds each (what Ed got were on average .7 of a pound each, which is definitely on the smallish side).  For reference, i weighed an immature drop from my tree that was the second smallest on the tree (the smallest is a nubbin).  I picked a fre today that were average in size, all at or above 1.25 pounds each.

But hey, what do I know, I am completely new to this mango thing.  Feel free to trust what I say, or listen to someone making off the wall cooments and says recommends harveating Pickering when green.

No need to respond to your usual snide remarks at the end of your post, but in regards to weight of Lemon Zest - I just weighed a dozen Lemon Zest mangoes from the same batch at Fruitscapes. Each of them were over 1.1 lb, most were 1.3 lbs.

So are you now going to say your 1.25 lb Lemon Zest are also on the small side or are you going to say my scale is off?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 06:13:48 PM »
That is what I would expect them to be.  What Ed purchased could not have been in that size range based on the price per pound, number of mangies and total paid.

I will stick to my guns about pickinv many fruits grrrn.  That is not when you want to pick many varieties,  unless you are looking for underripe and the potential for tart, chalky and not as sweet as they can or should be.

As far as snide, you don't know me and thats fine.  Many on here do and know me personally,  and know the comments I make are not personal.  If people have thin skin and take everything personally, they should not be posting on a blog..  I make comments tnat people understand.   I cant stand bullshitters.  Yes, I am quick to call people out as many on here dont k ow and have taken the bushitters suggestions and followed poor and improper incormation.  I would also add and stick to my guns in sayinv Pickerinv should never be picked green.  You have every right to pick yours how you like.  You can freely ignore what I say, no matter to me.  My advjce I am giving are to people who want to maximize the potential and enjoy the fruit to its fullest extent.  Oh, I picked about 50 Pickering today, none of them green but none of them even close to being ready to eat (as you know, pickering must be dead ripe for ig to show its flavor and true sweetness), just sayin...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 06:14:38 PM »
hehe you guys are lucky. My LZs are coming in at about .85 pounds a piece. Ofttimes mango size is dependent on production. If the tree has a banner year, size of the individual fruits will be smaller. And, if the tree produces a smaller than normal crop, fruits will be larger than normal. Thinning of fruit is therefore a good strategy for fattening up individual fruit.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 06:26:46 PM »
All of Walters trees always have larger fruit, and they usually pump out a lot.

My tree, which is on the small and neglicted side (about 8-10 feet), had about 35-40 this year (did not bloom fully) and about 25-30 laat year and they all come in over a pound.  I think part of it is letting it fill out and mature filully which usually doesnt occur until it shows its yellow coloration.

- Rob

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 06:49:27 PM »
That is what I would expect them to be.  What Ed purchased could not have been in that size range based on the price per pound, number of mangies and total paid.

I will stick to my guns about pickinv many fruits grrrn.  That is not when you want to pick many varieties,  unless you are looking for underripe and the potential for tart, chalky and not as sweet as they can or should be.

As far as snide, you don't know me and thats fine.  Many on here do and know me personally,  and know the comments I make are not personal.  If people have thin skin and take everything personally, they should not be posting on a blog..  I make comments tnat people understand.   I cant stand bullshitters.  Yes, I am quick to call people out as many on here dont k ow and have taken the bushitters suggestions and followed poor and improper incormation.  I would also add and stick to my guns in sayinv Pickerinv should never be picked green.  You have every right to pick yours how you like.  You can freely ignore what I say, no matter to me.  My advjce I am giving are to people who want to maximize the potential and enjoy the fruit to its fullest extent.  Oh, I picked about 50 Pickering today, none of them green but none of them even close to being ready to eat (as you know, pickering must be dead ripe for ig to show its flavor and true sweetness), just sayin...

Since you didn't answer, I'm going to assume 1.3 lb Lemon Zest with yellow blush doesn't need to go back on tree.

Nothing personal and no hard feelings. I've seen enough of your posts over the years to "stick to my guns" about the "snide" comment. I don't need to know you personally to label your online comments as such. Your online post history is what it is.

Never once said fruits or Pickering should be picked "green". I did say if they have shown color blush they are ready and that if there is still some green on them with the color blush that is still fine. If you understood that as "pick them green"... I'm sorry but encourage you to go back and read that thread over again, a little slower this time. The earliest I've picked a pickering was (as an experiment) when it showed a hint of yellow blush and the mango barely ripened which is not exactly encouraging folks to harvest their pickering at that stage. Would never tell somebody to pick one green. Hope you understand more clearly now.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 06:56:53 PM »
Pickering with still some green on them. No they are not going back on the tree. Yes they will ripen just fine.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 06:59:20 PM »
Pickering with still some green on them. No they are not going back on the tree. Yes they will ripen just fine.

This is advice, not criticism...they will taste much better if you wait till golden yellow, with no green, before harvesting and then let them sit and ripen for a few days. 
- Rob

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 07:03:57 PM »

Ed

Thise LZ need to be put back on the tree.  They werent ready to be picked.

Rob,

This is the first year I let our lemon zest set a corp. The tree is 12 foot and is holding about 21/2 dozen mango's. Do you have a picture of what they look like when ready to pick. They are just starting to get alittle yellow to them.

Thanks for the help. Joe.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 07:05:14 PM »
Will post a picture when I get home.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk