Author Topic: Best late season mango  (Read 1688 times)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Best late season mango
« on: July 09, 2020, 03:30:38 PM »
What would you say are the best late season mangoes and why?

Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Best late season mango
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 03:45:49 PM »
I'll start you off with the obvious one, Honey Kiss, because everybody loves it.  I guess it's mid-to-late season.  Beautiful compact tree, clean fruit, very pleasant flavor.  Another is Neelam, which I had planted but replaced, because the flavor was too CARROT!!  It's a very compact tree, and maybe I should have waited a few years for the flavor to improve.  If I had had twenty trees, I would have.
John

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 06:06:29 PM »
Yeah John, the one thing I dislike about honey kiss is its fruit size. Never tried a neelam mango.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

PBm4nG0

• Broward 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 06:29:52 PM »
I think M4 and cotton candy are supposed to be late. Never tried them but people that have said they are good.
Can’t beat the old Keitt when it comes to late but it just stinks that it has MBBS or rot issues. Mine included.

Bruce

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 07:32:15 PM »
I got really lucky last year and I found a couple large Keitts on an abandoned property and
I ended up getting most of the fruit except a few to the squirrels. It was really nice eating mangos in most
of September. They were mostly 2+ pounders. The fruit was perfect. I have a small cotton candy and
I picked up a beverly recently for my yard and after reading everyone's comments I plan
on getting a honey kiss. I keep telling myself only one more tree?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 09:08:41 PM »
Yeah John, the one thing I dislike about honey kiss is its fruit size. Never tried a neelam mango.
You could always thin clusters to get larger fruit.  Neelam is just as small, if not smaller.
John

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 09:30:28 PM »
Is “Lancitilla” still feasible? I’ve always heard mixed reviews and some call it a novelty Mango. I’ve heard it’s late season, giant and good. I’ve also heard it’s bad depending on the opinion.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 09:44:02 PM »
Is “Lancitilla” still feasible? I’ve always heard mixed reviews and some call it a novelty Mango. I’ve heard it’s late season, giant and good. I’ve also heard it’s bad depending on the opinion.

Lancetilla is not a true late mango.  It gies as late as August but thats it.

Its size makes it a novelty but thats about it.  It has texture of a firm Valencia Pride.  Flavorwise, nothing special.  Picked too early and it has a sourish component in a bad way.  It a mild flavor when fully ripe (maybe it better when grown in its native Honduras).  The fruit is known to split before fully developed.  It is not that productive holding fruit to maturity.  The tree is vigorous and large.. 
- Rob

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 12:33:49 PM »
I think M4 and cotton candy are supposed to be late. Never tried them but people that have said they are good.
Can’t beat the old Keitt when it comes to late but it just stinks that it has MBBS or rot issues. Mine included.

Bruce

M4 is definitely on the list! But I agree, old keitt is a good late variety with some huge fruits and good productivity.

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 10:58:00 PM »
Providence is a good mid-late mango. Not as late as Honey Kiss, but much bigger in size. Downside with late mangoes, at least in my yard, is that when the rains start the fruit lose a bit of flavor. Harvesting after 7-10 days of no rain has worked for me.
I'm still waiting on the Honey Kiss; problem is, the squirrels and blue jays are already after them.
I had a Neelam for about 5 years, but the fruit was a bit fibrous and never had the clean look of Honey Kiss mangoes.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 09:23:43 AM »
They say Providence gets MBBS.  This is the first year my tree in Deerfield Beach had fruit, and it was clean.  I haven't gotten the opportunity to taste the fruit.  I need to check with the new owners.
John

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 03:28:49 PM »
Just to give you my own perspective on this, I gave the ax to my Neelam and Lancetilla, and am about to do the same to my Malika. The family consensus in all cases was poor flavor quality, especially the Neelam. Was it a result of poor timing as to ripening (especially the Malika)? Maybe, but if so, I don't want to have to be that fastidious about when I have to pick mangoes. I did pick the Malikas mature green. The Lancetilla was also too vigorous a tree for me.
Anyway, I too am on a quest for the "perfect" late season mango. I'm leaning towards Honey Kiss, but keeping an open mind. I'll be heading to Excalibur next Saturday, so will make my decision by then.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 03:57:18 PM »
Just to give you my own perspective on this, I gave the ax to my Neelam and Lancetilla, and am about to do the same to my Malika. The family consensus in all cases was poor flavor quality, especially the Neelam. Was it a result of poor timing as to ripening (especially the Malika)? Maybe, but if so, I don't want to have to be that fastidious about when I have to pick mangoes. I did pick the Malikas mature green. The Lancetilla was also too vigorous a tree for me.
Anyway, I too am on a quest for the "perfect" late season mango. I'm leaning towards Honey Kiss, but keeping an open mind. I'll be heading to Excalibur next Saturday, so will make my decision by then.

Cool keep us posted on your decision and why.